Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

Another quick question, is the dry and wet weight in short tons, long tons, or metric tons? And is there no way to get an engine that has 2000-6000K/n? The Rocketdyne F-1 is wayyy tooo much for my rocket but the H-1 is way to small

Edited by Keudn

All masses ingame are in metric tons unless specified otherwise. For engines, you can cluster multiple engines. Not very many real life engines in that range, pretty much everyone clusters. If you get BobCat's Soviet Engines pack, though, you'll get 2MN (RD-191) and 4MN (RD-180) kerolox...also, anything including the RS-68 will give you a 3.4MN hydrolox booster.

I don't know if I should put it here or in the RO thread, but I cba to go through all the troubleshooting and I doubt it would help (also, I'm still using 0.24.2, because there's more mods compatible) so I'll put it here. I tried to make a small launch vehicle with the J2 Aerospike engine for the first stage. Now, that engine doesn't have thrust vectoring, which means alternative steering methods were necessary. For the first 40k control surfaces do the trick, after that I decided to use RCS. Now, here's where the issue starts.

The rocket, including the payload, is completely symmetrical, however the rocket starts steering right for no apparent reason. Until 40k the aerodynamics overcame that easily, but after that it's impossible to keep under control, I would need to use some hypergolic verniers, but that will make the rocket less efficient while I'm already having problems making it efficient enough. Is it some glitch with non-centered thrust on the engine or is it still a design flaw?

Edited by xrayfishx

I`m trying to make a replica of Orion MPCV, but have some problem.

MK1-2 pod is small to be an Orion as you know, so I choose taurus HCV, but it`s not in shape.

I mean, being rescaled from stock 3.75m pod into RSS 5m pod, it has some ugly proportion.

Its top doesn`t fit docking port, and its bottom doesn`t fit 5m heat shield fairing.

Did anyone made a good Orion replica? Suggestions?

All masses ingame are in metric tons unless specified otherwise. For engines, you can cluster multiple engines. Not very many real life engines in that range, pretty much everyone clusters. If you get BobCat's Soviet Engines pack, though, you'll get 2MN (RD-191) and 4MN (RD-180) kerolox...also, anything including the RS-68 will give you a 3.4MN hydrolox booster.

How do I cluster them though? I can't place more than one on the bottom of the fuel tank

In reality, you don't. H-1s are designed as sea level first stage engines. To use them otherwise is not optimal because the nozzle is designed for sea level pressure, not high altitude/vacuum. Otherwise requirements are TEATEB, ElectricCharge, Kerosene, and LqdOxygen.

I'll be honest, I've set things up so that the parts included with EI are not needed. I don't even have them installed on my dev or test computer.

Two questions:

One: Is there a way to pressurize a balloon tank? I want to make something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur_(rocket_stage) but for now I just use the service module tank type which is heavier.

Two: Has anyone been able to get the cubesat core (I think by AIES) working? Whenever I load the core the flight computer can't connect with the base, everything seems to be fine (battery power is full) yet when I right click on the core it says "not enough electric charge"

@EricSan:

#1. It would take some MM editing, but you don't need to pressurize a balloon tank. At least not for the Centaur. While they were 'pressurized', RealFuels 'pressurized' tanks are of a higher pressure for pressure fed engines, as which the RL10 of the Centaur is not pressure fed.

#2. It was working in 0.24.2, however at this time AIES is NOT SUPPORTED by Realism Overhaul. I guarantee though, when it is, it will connect.

@Phredward: What does this have to do with Realism Overhaul?

Edited by RedAV8R

EricSan: Welcome to the forums!

1. RL-10 is not a pressure-fed engine; only pressure-fed engines require ServiceModule-type (highly pressurized) tanks.

2. That sounds like the built-in antenna for the part is set to use too little ElectricCharge.

Phredward, I'm thinking you meant to post that on the Proc Parts thread. ;)

I think it's stated in the engine description if it's pressure fed. Try checking the lunar lander engine (I think it's the old LV-909)

No, I`m afraid there`s no description. That`s why I launched my whole GPS constellation three times, LoL

@FennexFox: The best way I know is when you place an engine and then roll over with mouse (no clicking), Engine Ignitor has info on what is required for ignition and will tell you in blue letters that it's pressure fed.

Oh, interesting! I should pay more attention to the words.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.