Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

Ah. The Overhaul works better. If you want to use 7-4, you will need to nuke main.tga, the take the main.png from the OP and offset it 2048 pixels left (i.e. 1/4 the width) and then flip it horizontally.

Where can I get the OVerhaul version? All I can ever find is the 7.x version.

Are there any heat-shielded RCS thruster blocks that are compatible with R.O.? I'm trying to re-enter a space plane, but the RCS thrusters keep burning up long before anything else does. Needless to say, it causes some problems. B9 had some great ones, but those aren't compatible yet...

Are there any heat-shielded RCS thruster blocks that are compatible with R.O.? I'm trying to re-enter a space plane, but the RCS thrusters keep burning up long before anything else does. Needless to say, it causes some problems. B9 had some great ones, but those aren't compatible yet...

The ones from B9 Aerospace might work if you enable heat shielding from the tweakables menu (which... might come from another mod, but I have no idea which one...).

I threw together a RO/Real Fuels cfg for a couple of the B9 rcs thrusters. I think I just raised maxTemp to make them survive reentry. I can p.m. you the cfg if you want to.

RealHeat is currently in limbo. As it stands the reentry simulation provided by DRE is not exactly realistic, although it forces you into some real constraints. Depending on if we can get RealHeat sorted fast enough, I might put together a quick patch for Semi-RealDeadlyReentry or something.

This is weird: The ALCOR lander pod is massing only 132 kilograms. The RO config has it set to 2.6 tons or thereabouts, and even after I made a new .cfg that's sole purpose in life is to set the mass of that pod to 2.6 tons regardless, the part still loads with a mass of 132kg. I searched all .cfg files for the name of the part, and there's nothing else that changes the mass. Any ideas as to what might cause this behavior?

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/g4iMT4I.jpg

I love love love this mod. Even after I figured out how to get into orbit in RO, I was still ending up in these highly elliptical orbits at engine cutoff, with a super high apoapsis, so I started pitching down dramatically when my perigee started to approach 0 and above during launch, to prevent my apoapsis from shooting up rapidly. This seemed wasteful and unsatisfying until I was watching a replay of an Orbital Sciences launch and realized, holy crap, they do the same thing: http://youtu.be/T9lGYQUQpXM?t=8m16s

That video is a great source for real life data on ascent if anyone is looking for it. Helped me a lot. I've also found this guy's attempt at simulating a Saturn V launch to be very useful both for ascent data and rocket construction: http://www.braeunig.us/apollo/saturnV.htm.

The one thing that I wish existed, but does not, and is no fault of RO, is something that displays the orbital ground track of a target for you. This would be a huge assist in launching into the plane of objects you intend to rendezvous with, since in RO basically nothing is at a friendly equatorial inclination. I was having a hell of a time trying to eyeball my moon launch from Canaveral just in map mode.

Edited by Phylan

So what's going on with RfTS engines? Is it dead so more focus can be put on Real Engines or will it return at some point? Id love to see it updated because I find it has an engine for every situation, while Real Engines lacks stuff like lander engines.

So what's going on with RfTS engines? Is it dead so more focus can be put on Real Engines or will it return at some point? Id love to see it updated because I find it has an engine for every situation, while Real Engines lacks stuff like lander engines.

I've been quite busy. RftS engines will, at some point, have a massive overhaul (and engine use will probably change, but keep to the "more variety" metric...)

BobCat's packs are on the planned list, yes.

Principia is being built from the ground up to support RSS, and will doubtless be a required mod when done. :)

Principia is being built from the ground up to support RSS, and will doubtless be a required mod when done. :)

Woot, I wondered if that wasn't the case.

So next question:

Is there then a plan to at some point work with all the mod creators to provide a single install program for all of the supporting mods? At least the required ones? The last time I set up RSS it took me all evening just to download and install all the mods. Not that I should complain since this is still by far the absolutely coolest project in the game. Really once RSS is finished Squad should offer it as an expansion and pay you all royalties from its sale. I know I would buy it.

BY the way NathanKell, I was running down the list of mods and noticed just how many of the old mods you have taken over or have had a hand in maintaining. Impressive, you must be one busy beaver.

Hah! Yeah, pretty busy... :] And thanks so much for the kind words!

And yes, yes there is. Which grew out of pjf being in the same boat as you, and wanting a package manager to make RO installs easy.

You just select the RO meta-package in the GUI (or do ckan install RealismOverhaul in the terminal) and off you go.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.