NathanKell

Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

1362 posts in this topic

Just now, stratochief66 said:

@Bornholio

Just a hip guy, chilling between two giant nuclear rockets.

There are at least a few nuclear rockets that already work within RO, last time I tried them. For example, Atomic Rockets has a number of engines config'd I can see in RO.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/AtomicAge/RO_AtomicAge_Engines.cfg

The mod page 'says' 1.0.5, but parts mods generally aren't broken by ever KSP update, so there is no harm in giving them a shot. My interest is in more realistically modeled nuclear engines.

//Just a hip guy, chilling between two giant nuclear rockets.// Robert Hanrahan was a agency director in 2011. Not sure about now. How did he not die from radiation cancer! /shock  He's touching those nuclear death cans!

Ah yes Atomic age is in use on my build, but I like the things that exist in reality.    Also this.

Got my fix of on timberwind in the mid 90's and been a junkie since.  Hard though given the huge amount of misinformation on the web.  I especially like the <1 TWR bull crap for NERVA. Which is of course derived from the most conservative design of second stage nuclear Saturn.  Stinking tank mass was obnoxious.  There is only basic stats for a timberwind series on Wikipedia but they are within acceptable tolerance given that they are not classified data. Just note that design size includes tankage.

Unfortunately the real reason SS-N was the Kiwi-B4 derived design is because the blew one up intentionally. Modifying it to go prompt critical.  This was able to show exactly what it took to put in a worst case failure mode and showed that is was unrealistic to assume any chain of failures would "blow up". Phoebus and Pewee didn't have this test done because it caused USSR to claim we violated the nuclear test ban treaty.  Just spent 2 hours looking for a video I know i had, and know exists of Kiwi-TNT exploding. /sigh  They locked the reflectors in full position and added high speed actuator to the beryllium rods to rotated full on them in a few ms instead of the normal few degrees per second. Result.056936bbb8b374268e41b04b59ed7dae.jpg

Less damage than a Saturn main stage going up in flames and the radius of lethal radiation dose was smaller than the radius of large debris impacts.  Yup get sick at 2000', killed by shrapnel at 2700'.  Lessons on why fractional orbit weapons (non-nuclear) are banned by the Regan era nuclear weapon treaties. 

A question, Im trying for couple of days to start RO+RP-0 thats wip. My issue is I get modules in tech tree wrongly all over the place, with and without Community tech tree, and all parts that show are marked as non-RO parts, actually when thinking most of parts showing are stock ones and no 1.1.3 starting engines showing hmm.   So is RO tech tree modules positions still not done and Im wasting lots of time to make it work or Im getting some unsuspecting mod messing things up?   For now I figured Amp Year messed modules the most.

6 hours ago, Hrv123 said:

A question, Im trying for couple of days to start RO+RP-0 thats wip. My issue is I get modules in tech tree wrongly all over the place, with and without Community tech tree, and all parts that show are marked as non-RO parts

Went through installing 1.2.2 Dev version and almost all the spreadsheet marked items, seeing the same result. Everything is marked non-RP0 and seems like its missing items.

Also found intolerable lag even with basic rockets. Not sure which mod it is but none of the "Other" page visual enhancement mods are installed.  a 28 part tier 1 orbital rocket was giving me lag worse than my 250 part ships in RSS non-RO install i just finished career in.  If i had to guess its realplume... 

1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

Everything is marked non-RP0 and seems like its missing items.

You need a tree.cfg file from a previous release of RP-0 (just paste into the RP-0 folder), or to compile it from the source tree.yml. This file is essential for RP-0 and is produced only on release.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 17.03.2017 at 4:36 AM, leudaimon said:

You need a tree.cfg file from a previous release of RP-0 (just paste into the RP-0 folder), or to compile it from the source tree.yml. This file is essential for RP-0 and is produced only on release.

Don't use tree.cfg from a previous release. It's really simple to generate an updated tree.cfg from master - just install Strawberry Perl and then run command "perl bin/yml2mm" from within RP-0-master folder using Windows command line.

Edited by Sol Invictus
2 people like this

4 hours ago, Sol Invictus said:

Don't use tree.cfg from a previous release. It's really simple to generate an updated tree.cfg from master - just install Strawberry Perl and then run command "perl bin/yml2mm" from within RP-0-master folder using Windows command line.

/WallofGripe -start

This single issue is probably the reason why half or more people who try to get it running just give up and walk away.  It is already a significant effort to get installed.  A understand its in dev but if you want an extended group of people to enjoy the mod and test it needs these things pre-compiled.  Many windows users have never used the command line never mind a programming utility.  But one user could if they are so inclined upload a pre-compiled version into the Git and any less savy tester from that time on would not walk away in frustration.  I know that I've walked away three times after having multi-hour installation effort result in non-functional result.  These forums are not well designed and it takes a large amount of reading to even get to understand what it really takes and between broken links to old pages and cycling of people in and out ease of use helps everyone. And one of a hundred or so will be the next guy adding effort.

/WallofGripe -end

Anyway, I resolved my horrific lag with installing newer real plume and dependencies via ckan after 2 iterations of hand manipulation and about 6 hours of troubleshooting. KSP RO Debugging (AKA: The Golden Spreadsheet)  Lists using RealplumeStockConfigs11.2 vs the 11.4 version for 1.2.2 on CKAN and smokescreen 2.7.1 vs the 2.7.4 so I'm not sure what I'm breaking but at least a rocket launches and has reasonable FPS

Posted (edited)

@Bornholio
I could just upload it here, but it would become obsolete in the day or two as RP-0 master gets updated. Considering how simple it is to generate it by yourself, it makes much more sense for me to just tell you how to do it.

By the way, I highly doubt whether someone who didn't even once use command line in their life could be of any use for developers when it comes to testing. For such person I would just advice to wait for a stable release, or return to KSP 1.1.3.

Edited by Sol Invictus
lexical correction
1 person likes this

Im hoping to save a working copy of 1.2.2 on my harddrive before 1.2.9 comes out.

The only mod missing as of now to make that copy perfect is Realism Overhaul.

Any hopes it will be out before 1.2.9 is released, or is the update to be released directly for 1.2.9?

On 3/21/2017 at 1:11 PM, JeeF said:

Any hopes it will be out before 1.2.9 is released, or is the update to be released directly for 1.2.9?

There's a prerelease out, and you can also download the latest master branch.

@Bornholio sorry getting a working RO/RP-0 install makes you want to rant, it is a lot of work to get a copy up and running until there's an official release out.  I do have to agree with @Sol Invictus though, if one hasn't used a command line, it means that they probably haven't done much work to try to figure out why they may be experiencing whatever problem they have, which leads to a bunch of erroneous bug reports, which both slows down the release cycle as they're investigated, and also clutters up legitimate issues with non-legitimate issues.  TLDR: The fact that there's a barrier to entry to get an up-to-date copy running means that the comments by those who do have a running copy are more meaningful.

Also, I noticed you found some issues with the spreadsheet.  I've updated those, and actually removed the reference to RealPlume-stock configs, and replaced it with just the normal realplume.  I've also updated SmokeScreen.  Any time you find issues in the spreadsheet, feel free to leave a comment there, as that's the quickest way I can find them and keep it up to date.   

1 person likes this

It is a bit dismissive of a large number of people to assume that a knowledge of command line (however simple it is, I've been using it since '89.) You're right those people may be less likely to be helpful in testing.

That said, good change on the notes in the golden spreadsheet.  Was it okay for me to make anon update notes in it?

17 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Was it okay for me to make anon update notes in it?

Yep, that's the best way to notify me that it's out to date. When everything is out on CKAN, I'll probably switch it over for supporting the next version of KSP

I did a run to the moon and failed...thought I'd summarize failures that did not involve me or things I'd like to point out involving parts.  I'll scrub and re-install tonight and try again to make sure I didn't cause them. ( reversed the biological sample/photography bay comments),

di3pA4v.png

I'm also dumping a daily report into the

Edited by Bornholio
note