Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

After issues during Tuesday's hot fire test, the launch is scrubbed. Rumors speak of a new potential launch date of January 6th, 2015. It was not made public where exactly the issue lay, only that SpaceX called an abort during the sequence.

This is an incredible bummer :( Because of the way the station orbits the Earth, the launch window drifts backwards by roughly 23.5 minutes for every passing day. If they launch in January, it will likely be a night launch, which also means a night landing on the barge. Not a problem for the rocket's automated systems, but something that will greatly degrade the quality of any video footage we might get to see. The rocket plume is extremely bright and very likely to completely underexpose everything else, potentially leading to the video showing just a disembodied flame hovering in the darkness right until the final seconds when the deck illuminates (and then there's smoke).

Edited by Streetwind

After issues during Tuesday's hot fire test, the launch is scrubbed. Rumors speak of a new potential launch date of January 6th, 2015. It was not made public where exactly the issue lay, only that SpaceX called an abort during the sequence.

This is an incredible bummer :( Because of the way the station orbits the Earth, the launch window drifts backwards by roughly 23.5 minutes for every passing day. If they launch in January, it will likely be a night launch, which also means a night landing on the barge. Not a problem for the rocket's automated systems, but something that will greatly degrade the quality of any video footage we might get to see. The rocket plume is extremely bright and very likely to completely underexpose everything else, potentially leading to the video showing just a disembodied flame hovering in the darkness right until the final seconds when the deck illuminates (and then there's smoke).

Dang, I was looking forward to it! Would be have been a nice start to the weekend. I just finished applying for a few jobs at SpaceX to make ends meet while I keep studying. I'm hoping they don't scrub my applications :P

Isn't this just a proposal? I don't blindly believe in everything Musk says. He is not a tech guy after all.

Seems like it would definitely be possible. Let them slap a nice aerodynamic nose cone on top and you've got grasshopper v9.1

You don't think 6:18 AM on January 6 is night time?

Where are the launch and return sites? Nautical twilight begins just after 6:20 AM near KSC that day (i'm assuming that's the launch site), and its trajectory will bring it east and (presumeably) south, both of which bring the landing further into daytime. Plus the landing will be later, which obviously helps.

Edited by pincushionman

At least it won't be a night launch if it launches on the 6th, from the article:

"A launch on Tuesday, Jan. 6, is scheduled at about 6:18 a.m. EST. NASA TV coverage will begin at 5 a.m."

Well, I have to get up for work at 6AM anyway, so at least there is the possibility of catching it (catching the launch that is, I doubt they will live stream the landing attempt).

14-339_0.jpg

Orion returns to KSC today.

"With the spacecraft back at Kennedy, where it was assembled and prepared for launch, engineers will be able to remove the back shell of the spacecraft and perform inspections of its cabling, fluid lines, propulsion system and avionics boxes. Heat shield samples already have been removed and sent to a laboratory where their thickness, strength and charring will be examined."

Where are the launch and return sites? Nautical twilight begins just after 6:20 AM near KSC that day (i'm assuming that's the launch site), and its trajectory will bring it east and (presumeably) south, both of which bring the landing further into daytime. Plus the landing will be later, which obviously helps.

It launches towards the northeast, due to the inclination of the ISS, and the landing is expected to happen within 10 minutes of the launch. So no, that's not going to help much :P

Still, I suppose any sort of lighting will help with reducing the dynamic range, even if it's just twilight...

Coordinates! That helps…me say that you're right, it'll probably be too dark still for good footage. "Nautical twilight" starts at the location of the marker there at about 6:15-6:20ish, and that's when "general outlines of ground objects may be visible." The sun won't be over the horizon for another hour. But the rocket will be belching all kinds of fire, so it may still be interesting. It's not like there's anything else to see in the ocean there.

so yeah, I think most of the info is in the tittle.

However, here's some more info:

-it will happen at 1h22 afternoon(or 1h22PM(or 13h22))EST

-(or 6h22 afternoon(or 6h22PM(or 18h22)))GMT

-if you want to watch it live, here's the link for that!

http://www.spacex.com/webcast <= click on this link to watch it live

(or you can just click on this sentence)

Can you lose what you never had? :D I guess we will have to wait until the new year.

Well, I just did ^^

all my credibility is gone! this is YOUR fault! :P

Can you lose what you never had? :D I guess we will have to wait until the new year.

I just quoted someone quoting someone else, it's like Inception!

(it will be even more cooler if someone quote me while i quote someone who quoted someone >:>

Edited by goldenpeach

Well, I just did ^^

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Camacha viewpost-right.png

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by goldenpeach viewpost-right.png

all my credibility is gone! this is YOUR fault! :P

I just quoted someone quoting someone else, it's like Inception!

(it will be even more cooler if someone quote me while i quote someone who quoted someone >:>

*cough wish granted cough*

Anyways, this is actually pretty cool, shame it was delayed, but hey, it's rocket science, isn't it? :P

edit: hm, seems like quoting a quote quoting a quote quoting a quote messes things up. :( (would rather this doesn't turn into the quoteception thread anyways, since this event is pretty awesome)