Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

2 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Well that was disappointing. But hey. Maybe they will launch it tomorrow? We'll see!

Fire

First rule of watching SpaceX: Expect delay. You'll never be disappointed, an occasionally pleasantly surprised.

1 minute ago, Frybert said:

First rule of watching SpaceX: Expect delay. You'll never be disappointed, an occasionally pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, but next time couldn't they schedule a delay that doesn't require getting up at 6:45 am on a flarping Saturday?? *irritated coffee-deprived grumbling* :mad:

1 hour ago, Frybert said:

Yes I understand. I know SpaceX. Though it was at t-13 seconds! That was the worst abort ever! :confused:

Fire

1 minute ago, Firemetal said:

Yes I understand. I know SpaceX. Though it was at t-13 seconds! That was the worst abort ever! :confused:

Fire

Actually, one attempt for the SES-9 mission was aborted at T-0 seconds, after engine ignition (I was watching that and was thoroughly disappointed :P)

5 hours ago, Codraroll said:

OK, T-0 is hard to beat, but have there been any after the T-15 mark in recent memory?

Does MR-1 count? T +5cm above launchpad. Launched again a day later.

Spoiler

Edited by kerbiloid

42 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That wasn't a launch abort, that was an

Depends on "abort" definition.
The rocket started, but at 5 cm above the launchpad connectors have disconnected asynchronously, and engine stopped
The rocket sat down and initiated the abort sequence.
At T+10 LES was successfully engaged. But the ship/stage decoupler required T/W < 0.25g to fire, while the rocket stayed on launchpad, so T/W was 1.
So, the LES has burnt out right on the rocket then successfully jettisoned.
Then altimeter registered alititude < 3 km and threw the main chute.
But as the velocity was 0 and the main chute just fell down, the tension sensor reported "no tension from the chute", and the backup chute was also thrown out.
As the chutes were successfully engaged, the hydrogen peroxide was drained out from the capsule (onto the rocket) to make the landing safe.
A day later when detonation batteries got discharged, the expendables staff repaired the rocket and launched it.

Edited by kerbiloid

20 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Depends on "abort" definition.

Yeah, that is most indefatigably the epitome of an "oops." :wink: Any more of an oops typically requires changing one's shorts. 

More re on topic: still no official word AFAK. Before I go getting another alarm for zero-dark-thirty on a weekend, anyone think this thing is actually going up tomorrow?

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Does MR-1 count? T +5cm above launchpad. Launched again a day later.

Reveal hidden contents

MR-1A was launched a month later, and using a different rocket. The rocket from MR-1 never flew again, so it's closer to a launch failure than an abort.

Edited by Kryten