Airlock

SpaceX: Current missions and future plans. (Renamed thread.)

7810 posts in this topic

you can dampen out the motion by using vertical motors, hydraulically lifting and lowering the deck, having extendable fins like on cruise ships, partially submerging the hull to reduce the freeboard, etc.

Right, but I really doubt vanes are used or are even practical in this case. The vanes on cruise ships work because the ship moves through the water. They work like wings to apply a righting force that ramps out roll. The SpaceX platform is stationary.

The deck may have hydraulic actuators to lift and lower it (that's a good thought BTW), but it isn't clear from the limited info we have that it has that capability.

My point stands. You can relatively "easily" damp out pitch and roll oscillations, but vertical motion is much harder on a monohulled barge.

Not the WHOLE rocket... just the flyback stage. They land it, put 5 bucks in the tank, and it flys back to the launchpad

Oh, no no no, I understand that (although I can envision a sea-launch architecture for future BFR/MCT flights).

I'm just concerned flying first stages back from the barge will cut down on the number of times they can be reused.

They really want to land on barges as a long-term solution? I thought they were only going to do this until they convinced the powers-that-be that they are able to reliably plop the stage down onto a chosen landing spot. In which case I wouldn't think it would even matter (for that purpose) if the stage fell over later due to the shifting deck.

They really want to land on barges as a long-term solution? I thought they were only going to do this until they convinced the powers-that-be that they are able to reliably plop the stage down onto a chosen landing spot. In which case I wouldn't think it would even matter (for that purpose) if the stage fell over later due to the shifting deck.

I assume they're still planning to RTLS eventually. However, landing on a platform at sea may allow for larger payloads on the F9, as well as FH central core recovery.

I think it's more a matter of "The goverment is making us use a barge at the beginning... what can we use a barge for later on?" and building the barge from the outset for still hypothetical advanced missions.

If this was going to be for anything but the short term, wouldn't it make more sense to build a semi submersible?

Very exciting. This is where all that effort might start paying off - if you discount those neat video clips of the Grasshopper landing on end that is.

Looks like a giant dartboard. Hopefully they dont dive in headfirst..

1 person likes this

Are they going to reuse this stage or just take it apart to study?

Apparently it's supposed to refuel the stages at some point for a flight back to the launch site.

Apparently it's supposed to refuel the stages at some point for a flight back to the launch site.

Isn't this just a proposal? I don't blindly believe in everything Musk says. He is not a tech guy after all.

After issues during Tuesday's hot fire test, the launch is scrubbed. Rumors speak of a new potential launch date of January 6th, 2015. It was not made public where exactly the issue lay, only that SpaceX called an abort during the sequence.

This is an incredible bummer :( Because of the way the station orbits the Earth, the launch window drifts backwards by roughly 23.5 minutes for every passing day. If they launch in January, it will likely be a night launch, which also means a night landing on the barge. Not a problem for the rocket's automated systems, but something that will greatly degrade the quality of any video footage we might get to see. The rocket plume is extremely bright and very likely to completely underexpose everything else, potentially leading to the video showing just a disembodied flame hovering in the darkness right until the final seconds when the deck illuminates (and then there's smoke).

Edited by Streetwind

Isn't this just a proposal? I don't blindly believe in everything Musk says. He is not a tech guy after all.

it would save fuel just to fly them back to land in the first place. I agree

After issues during Tuesday's hot fire test, the launch is scrubbed. Rumors speak of a new potential launch date of January 6th, 2015. It was not made public where exactly the issue lay, only that SpaceX called an abort during the sequence.

This is an incredible bummer :( Because of the way the station orbits the Earth, the launch window drifts backwards by roughly 23.5 minutes for every passing day. If they launch in January, it will likely be a night launch, which also means a night landing on the barge. Not a problem for the rocket's automated systems, but something that will greatly degrade the quality of any video footage we might get to see. The rocket plume is extremely bright and very likely to completely underexpose everything else, potentially leading to the video showing just a disembodied flame hovering in the darkness right until the final seconds when the deck illuminates (and then there's smoke).

Dang, I was looking forward to it! Would be have been a nice start to the weekend. I just finished applying for a few jobs at SpaceX to make ends meet while I keep studying. I'm hoping they don't scrub my applications :P

Okay SpaceX is insanely daring.

SPACEX FTW!

Seems like it would definitely be possible. Let them slap a nice aerodynamic nose cone on top and you've got grasshopper v9.1

At least it won't be a night launch if it launches on the 6th, from the article:

"A launch on Tuesday, Jan. 6, is scheduled at about 6:18 a.m. EST. NASA TV coverage will begin at 5 a.m."

You don't think 6:18 AM on January 6 is night time?

You don't think 6:18 AM on January 6 is night time?

Where are the launch and return sites? Nautical twilight begins just after 6:20 AM near KSC that day (i'm assuming that's the launch site), and its trajectory will bring it east and (presumeably) south, both of which bring the landing further into daytime. Plus the landing will be later, which obviously helps.

Edited by pincushionman

At least it won't be a night launch if it launches on the 6th, from the article:

"A launch on Tuesday, Jan. 6, is scheduled at about 6:18 a.m. EST. NASA TV coverage will begin at 5 a.m."

Well, I have to get up for work at 6AM anyway, so at least there is the possibility of catching it (catching the launch that is, I doubt they will live stream the landing attempt).

damm, I thought it was tomorrow :(

Now we need to wait 3 weeks more, why all the good stuffs is delayed.

it was already a bad notice to hear that sunjammer was canceled, plus other missions, now this.

Ah man, I was looking forward to this tomorrow.