Airlock

SpaceX: Current missions and future plans. (Renamed thread.)

7353 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

The first "prototype" was OV-101 Enterprise, but there was a mockup for clearance testing (to develop procedures for handling and fitting the orbiters) called Pathfinder, that later received the "OV-98" registration. There was also a scale model called Independence that received the "OV-100" number. There's an OV-95 that was a mockup for crew training, STA-96 and STA-97 that were test articles, and MPTA-98, which was a "main propulsion test assembly" (basically an engine frame), but none of those have any christening names.

OV-95 was the SAIL (Shuttle Avionics Integration Laboratory), used for software and avionics development and testing, not crew training.  (It received an OV number because it was managed under the same configuration control system and standards as the flight vehicles.)  Independence is a non flight replica and has no official NASA number.

A full list of the official designations can be found here.

1 person likes this

Getting a little off-topic, but I believe the OV-0 series were never intended for flight, and the OV-1 series were supposed to be the operational vehicles. Except it was more cost effective to rebuild STA-099 (Challenger) into a proper orbiter than OV-101 (Enterprise), which then never flew to orbit and wasn't retroactively renumbered, but Columbia was upgraded to OV-99.

Edited by RCgothic

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

Getting a little off-topic

"A little"? :P

Well, here's something on topic:

Yes, you are seeing correctly: a "No Earlier Than" date was moved... to an earlier date! :D

8 people like this

Spacex launch date creeping ever closer :) @TheEpicSquared

SES10 is going to be a vital mission, I have to point out. The reuse of the 1st stage! The excitement is accumulating and has been for a long time to say the least!! :):P:D 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

SES10 is going to be a vital mission, I have to point out. The reuse of the 1st stage! The excitement is accumulating and has been for a long time to say the least!! :):P:D 

You pinged me?

3 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

You pinged me?

?

7 hours ago, Oliverm001x said:

Wait, this is a re-used first stage!?

I may have to take a day off work to watch this one...

Just now, Mitchz95 said:

Wait, this is a re-used first stage!?

No, this is CRS-10, and will use a new first stage. SES-10, sometime in march, will reuse the CRS-8 first stage. :) 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

Have fun explaining that to your boss!

6 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

SES-10, sometime in march, will reuse the CRS-8 first stage

Glad to hear that they are finally relaunching an F9 1st stage. By the way, is the CRS-8 being used for any technical reason or just for good luck?

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, LetsGoToMars! said:

Glad to hear that they are finally relaunching an F9 1st stage. By the way, is the CRS-8 being used for any technical reason or just for good luck?

I assume that they looked at all their first stages and determined that they wanted to go with this one for reasons that would fill a 320-page report to the FAA. :P

8 people like this

Have they released the relaunch date yet?

5 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Have they released the relaunch date yet?

This Saturday, 7am pacific/10 am eastern/can't add right UTC.

Weather looking iffy, but this article says they're finally going for an RTL landing again.:cool:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/02/15/weather-could-stand-in-way-of-falcon-9-launch-saturday/

1 person likes this

Stupid question, but I wasn't following issue for some time... did they finally launched retrieved booster??

Doesn't matter, found the answer

Edited by dino1984

Launch probability 50% due to unfavourable meteorological conditions for the 18th. Source: http://spaceflightnow.com/2017/02/15/weather-could-stand-in-way-of-falcon-9-launch-saturday/

However an update by a source claims it is 60%, however this is an unconfirmed figure.

Edited by Oliverm001x

1 minute ago, Oliverm001x said:

However an update by a source claims it is 60%, however this is unconfirmed figures.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/02/10/pad-39a-mission-status-center/

There you go.

2 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Indeed! Looking slightly more favourable, however, if the launch is postponed, it will not bode well with the already infested backlog of delayed contract launches. Iridium Next was delayed recently. Let us hope for clear skies on the day, and manageable jet streams. :) 

Edited by Oliverm001x

For anyone concerned or interested in the cracked turbine blades issue on the Merlin-1D engines:

The Government Accountability Office publicly released a report on schedule concerns of the Commercial Crew program. It asserts that both contractors (SpaceX and Boeing) continue to face comparable delays due to technical issues. But interestingly enough, the turbine cracking issue is not one of the problems holding up human-rating of the Falcon 9. The report does mention that the issue previously existed, but then continues to state that SpaceX has already made changes to the manufacturing process that eliminated the cracking.

So I guess they got a handle on that. Good! Now please finally fix the helium pressurization system issues that have plagued Falcon 9 since its inception and caused both upper stage explosions, okay? :P

Edited by Streetwind
1 person likes this

On 16/02/2017 at 5:33 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

This Saturday, 7am pacific/10 am eastern/can't add right UTC.

Weather looking iffy, but this article says they're finally going for an RTL landing again.:cool:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/02/15/weather-could-stand-in-way-of-falcon-9-launch-saturday/

RTL = Return To Land?

Would make sense since it's an LEO mission. I almost typed 'LKO' instead 'LEO' again. Also a daylight launch and landing. Looking forward to that.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Veeltch said:

RTL = Return To Land?

I believe it's meant to be "return to launch site" (RTLS). But apart from that both you and CatastrophicFailure have the right idea. The booster will touch down on land, just like it did for CRS flight 9.

Bonus: this is a broad daylight launch. If weather doesn't get in the way, we could get really kick-ass footage out of it :) They've shown the full sequence from boostback burn to drone ship touchdown twice now, would love to see the same for a land touchdown. Both previous RTLS landings were in the middle of the night.

Edited by Streetwind
2 people like this

Quite right. This will be the first ever daytime RTLS landing, so with no squirrelly over-the-horizon communication to get garbled in the final moments, the live footage should be pretty spectacular. :cool:

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Hmm...

Uh-oh. They really are unlucky with these second stages. Hopefully they aren't trying to cut costs?

23 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Hmm...

If it's serious, I would not be surprised if it got delayed. In fact, I'd be fine with that, since I'd rather have a late launch than a failed launch.

Looking good at the pad

16715953_10158765874045131_7759890930709

4 people like this