Airlock

SpaceX: Current missions and future plans. (Renamed thread.)

7809 posts in this topic

Where are the launch and return sites? Nautical twilight begins just after 6:20 AM near KSC that day (i'm assuming that's the launch site), and its trajectory will bring it east and (presumeably) south, both of which bring the landing further into daytime. Plus the landing will be later, which obviously helps.

It launches towards the northeast, due to the inclination of the ISS, and the landing is expected to happen within 10 minutes of the launch. So no, that's not going to help much :P

Still, I suppose any sort of lighting will help with reducing the dynamic range, even if it's just twilight...

Coordinates! That helps…me say that you're right, it'll probably be too dark still for good footage. "Nautical twilight" starts at the location of the marker there at about 6:15-6:20ish, and that's when "general outlines of ground objects may be visible." The sun won't be over the horizon for another hour. But the rocket will be belching all kinds of fire, so it may still be interesting. It's not like there's anything else to see in the ocean there.

What?!

When was it announced??

all my credibility is gone! this is YOUR fault! :P

all my credibility is gone!

Can you lose what you never had? :D I guess we will have to wait until the new year.

Can you lose what you never had? :D I guess we will have to wait until the new year.

Well, I just did ^^

I just quoted someone quoting someone else, it's like Inception!

(it will be even more cooler if someone quote me while i quote someone who quoted someone >:>

Edited by goldenpeach

Well, I just did ^^

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Camacha viewpost-right.png

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by goldenpeach viewpost-right.png

I just quoted someone quoting someone else, it's like Inception!

(it will be even more cooler if someone quote me while i quote someone who quoted someone >:>

*cough wish granted cough*

Anyways, this is actually pretty cool, shame it was delayed, but hey, it's rocket science, isn't it? :P

edit: hm, seems like quoting a quote quoting a quote quoting a quote messes things up. :( (would rather this doesn't turn into the quoteception thread anyways, since this event is pretty awesome)

Disregard this post the other thread was merged.

Edited by SuperFastJellyfish
Thread was merged.

Well, some good news at least. Chris Bergin from NASASpaceflight.com reports SpaceX conducted a second static test fire, and that it was nominal - good countdown and full duration burn on the Merlin 1Ds. Launch is set for no earlier than January 6th.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36055.msg1305140#msg1305140

EDIT: Official update: http://www.spacex.com/press/2014/12/19/crs-5-launch-update

Edited by Airlock

Merginated.

A shot of the static test fire.

Legs n' Grid fins!

ElhkbLF.jpg

CRS-5 ISS mission scheduled for Jan 6 liftoff at 11:18 UTC. Not much news to report.

Some intrepid individual scoured webcams at the Jacksonville port and found this (taken from a cruise ship):

Someone on said cruise ship took this picture:

B5pqeaMCIAECmvv.jpg:large

Which shows us a SpaceX trailer and first stage support structure, previously seen used for the F9R-Dev1 at McGregor, Texas. Shown here:

94b3BAS.png

http://imgur.com/a/K5f33

This tells us they plan to return the first stage (assuming they catch it) to the port in Jacksonville, not Kennedy. Do we think they'll carry out post-flight inspections on the stage before road transport?

...And slightly off-topic, a look back at SpaceX's ventures in 2014. Happy New Year!

This'll be interesting. I thought I missed the launch and only found out afterwards that it was postponed. Need to set an alarm on my phone or something, otherwise I'll forget it again :P

Let's hope everything goes well. Luckily, with science, failure is just as good as success.

Under 12 hours until launch. Set for 6:20 AM EST.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/552182273865699328/photo/1

"Drone spaceport ship heads to its hold position in the Atlantic to prepare for a rocket landing."

B6m-2biIYAAZcYF.jpg

Edit:

There will be a livestream of the launch on youtube -

and on SpaceX.com - http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

Starts at 6:00 AM.

Edit:

It was stated during the press briefing that video of a successful landing could be out by the end of the day tomorrow.

Edited by Airlock

ok.. only 7:30 hs left to the launch.. Lets cross the fingers.. I hope they execute a check up to see if the rocket and the ship drone have the same coordinates set :P

Someone know what other sensors it will use besides GPS?

t- 10 minutes, i should really be studing now, but's it's so exiting... :)

Watching coverage with chatterer audio in the background for that extra KSP feel :)

Hang on, the countdown stopped.

Edit:

Looks like an abort.