Engineer of Stuff

Why are there no Mk2 nose cones?

10 posts in this topic

Why are there no Mk2 nose cones? The Mk2 Inline Cockpit is almost unusable because there are no nose cones. Space Plane+ has been around for a long time, but nose cones were never added. Is there a reason behind this?

Edited by Engineer Of Stuff
1 person likes this

porkjet was working on nose cones as far as i know, but got contracted out to work with squad on the space-plane parts before they were released, my guess is they will be in the next update.

you can always slap on an adapter to small size and add a regular nosecone. Or a shielded docking port, that's what I tend to do

1 person likes this

There is a Mk2 Nose cone.

It just looks, acts, and weighs exactly the same as the Mk2 cockpit.

1 person likes this

There is also no Mk2 decoupler, battery or command core (doh!) SAS unit at the moment but I'm pretty relaxed about it, knowing that all the parts (and especially the 'plane' ones) are still being updated. Especially looking forward to seeing some Mk3 things that are useful, as well.

Edited by Pecan
doh!

Yeah, can't wait for Mk. 3 parts especially. The Mk.2 planes are great for crew transfer and small cargo loads, but I'd love to send up station parts in a re-useable vehicle.

Or transport a TON of kerbals.

Yeah, can't wait for Mk. 3 parts especially. The Mk.2 planes are great for crew transfer and small cargo loads, but I'd love to send up station parts in a re-useable vehicle.

As said elsewhere: if MK3 bays become large enough for 2.5m modules, they will be so big that Kerbodyne engines and tanks will seem to be quite ...well, not small, but they won't appear to be exceptionally large anymore, either.

Or transport a TON of kerbals.

Eyup. Bigger landing gear is on the top of my list, personally. Right now they always seem too short, so when I nose up with my big SSTO's it is really hard to avoid tail or engine strikes.

I do love the way that the cargo bays work, though, with the ghost nodes. Could we have that in the big hollow Kerbodyne adapters? It would be good for engines and whatnot, plus storing miscellaneous parts or probes. (We would need to get rid of the structural bits on the ends of the parts, make it just a truncated cone with the caps missing.)

I generally use an empty, (or full, depending on the case), MK2 to MK1 adapter and a nose cone/docking port/claw as an MK2 nose cone.

(Heyo, 1000 posts! :D)

Posted (edited)

Old thread, but still relevant and not outdated.

Anything coming down the pipe? I dont like how unrefined using the mk2 to 1.25 adapter  with a standard rocket nose looks.

Edited by r4pt0r

9 hours ago, r4pt0r said:

Old thread, but still relevant and not outdated.

Anything coming down the pipe? I dont like how unrefined using the mk2 to 1.25 adapter  with a standard rocket nose looks.

Don't expect Squad to finish a part lineup. There is the MK2 expansion mod