[WIN] KSP to DDS texture converter

Lilleman

On 28/12/2015 at 8:43 AM, sarbian said:

No idea. I don't have the problem so that make it hard to fix...

From what I am reading this could append if a directory did not exist or was write protected.

On 28/12/2015 at 10:37 AM, NathanKell said:

Could it be related to stuff in Program Files, or on the desktop? Try with both the program and the file it's opening in generic folders (like C:\Games\KSP\DDS and the files in C:\Games\KSP\GameData\whatever)

I'll double check the directory I'm running the program from later this week, thanks for the heads-up.

5 hours ago, pzetts said:

I was having the same problem with the generic GDI+ error message.  I had to uncheck "flip png/tag?" to get the process to work.  I worked for the folder I was trying to convert after that.  Hope that helps...

I recalled that DDS files for KSP need to be vertically flipped, or else the textures would not be mapped correctly in-game.

Or are you suggesting I flip the image in my external editing application first rather than having the converter do it for me?

1 hour ago, sumghai said:

I recalled that DDS files for KSP need to be vertically flipped, or else the textures would not be mapped correctly in-game.

Or are you suggesting I flip the image in my external editing application first rather than having the converter do it for me?

After I unchecked the flip option, the textures converted but they were not mapped correctly in KSP.   So I guess the next test will be to flip them before converting and see if they still load correctly in the game.

Yup, that did it.  I flipped the png vertically in photoshop and then ran it through the converter with flip unchecked and it loaded correctly in the game.  Probably too much work to do it that way though.

Edited by pzetts
Update

• 2 months later...

Since there is 1.1 and I've been happily using the x64 version just to run into various ram issues (I can only use about 12.5gb for kerbal, perhaps I should remove some of the eyecandy things) I wanted to bump this post because it took me fifteen minutes to find this tool and while searching it I just ran into dozens of instances o dynamic texture loader mod and active texture management, I had very good experiences with this tool and I'm currently running it through having set minimal size for misc. to 64x64 (to prevent icons breaking)

amazingly I had over a thousand texture files not in an ideal format for unity 5

On 1/24/2016 at 1:32 AM, Antonio432 said:

I have a weird bug where all of my mod button icons are black stripes, and i don't know how to fix that.

when using the tool either add an exclusion for EVERY single icon file in your gamedata/modfolders or just restrict misc. minimum size to 64x64 since most or all icons are smaller or at max 64X64 hmm perhaps i should have set it 65x65 ^^

On 1/24/2016 at 7:32 PM, Antonio432 said:

I have a weird bug where all of my mod button icons are black stripes, and i don't know how to fix that.

In KSP 1.0 - 1.0.5, IIRC, KSP (and the Toolbar mod), still need the icons to be in .png format... So you need to be careful not to convert toolbar textures...

Not sure if this has changed in KSP pre-1.1 or not...

16 minutes ago, lude said:

when using the tool either add an exclusion for EVERY single icon file in your gamedata/modfolders or just restrict misc. minimum size to 64x64 since most or all icons are smaller or at max 64X64 hmm perhaps i should have set it 65x65 ^^

64x64 should be OK... IIRC, most stock toolbar textures should be 32x32 (although IIRC I have seen some at 36x36), and the ones for the Toolbar mod should be 24x24... I'm no expert, but I've never seen any toolbar icon texture larger than 36x36

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@Lilleman  : This little program is really useful ! :)

It work very well for single files, but it crash when your try to open a folder on Win 10  :

Impossible to open the file or assembly "OpenFolderDialog, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKey Token=null" or one of his depedencies.

The specified files is not found.

I have thousands of textures files to convert and doing them one by one is a real pain :) 

Edited by HaArLiNsH

13 minutes ago, HaArLiNsH said:

@Lilleman  : This little program is really useful ! :)

It work very well for single files, but it crash when your try to open a folder on Win 10  :

I have thousands of textures files to convert and doing them one by one is a real pain :) 

You can use Photoshop or Gimp to do a batch convert to dds so you don't have to do each one individually. I recommend Gimp. It's faster than Photoshop when converting.

there are also some stand alone programs you can use to convert your textures.

This is also a pretty good program to use: it was made for Skyrim, but it works with anything really. AND it does automatic back up which is really nice

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/?

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

You can use Photoshop or Gimp to do a batch convert to dds so you don't have to do each one individually. I recommend Gimp. It's faster than Photoshop when converting.

there are also some stand alone programs you can use to convert your textures.

This is also a pretty good program to use: it was made for Skyrim, but it works with anything really. AND it does automatic back up which is really nice

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/?

Thanks for the tips :)

I tried Ordenador but all my textures are in .png and off course it need bmp or tga. I can batch convert them but the less conversions, the better the results are and I don't want to export them in png and in bmp and convert the bmp :)

I'll try Gimp because the DDS exporter for Photoshop don't work any more  (or I can't find the new one :) ) witch is a shame because I work on Photoshop..

51 minutes ago, HaArLiNsH said:

I'll try Gimp because the DDS exporter for Photoshop don't work any more  (or I can't find the new one :) ) witch is a shame because I work on Photoshop..

This does not work anymore ?

of the intel one that should work on CC

Edited by sarbian

• 5 months later...

Currently getting some weird errors when converting images... 

System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: Er is een generieke fout opgetreden in GDI+.
   bij System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams)
   bij System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageFormat format)
   bij DDS4KSP.IMGManager.gs_flip(GraphicsStream& gs)
   bij DDS4KSP.IMGManager.convertFileToDDS(cConversionParameters& convParams, cFolderProcessingParams& CFG)
   bij DDS4KSP.FolderLoader.processFileLists(String sFolderPath, ProgressBar& PB, Label& lInfos, cFolderProcessingParams& CFG)
   bij DDS4KSP.FRM_main.ExportAllToDDSToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladen assembly's **************
mscorlib
    Assembly-versie: 2.0.0.0
    Win32-versie: 2.0.50727.8825 (WinRelRS3.050727-8800)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DDS4KSP
    Assembly-versie: 0.0.0.1
    Win32-versie: 0.0.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/DDS4KSP.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly-versie: 8.0.0.0
    Win32-versie: 8.0.50727.8825 (WinRelRS3.050727-8800)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
    Assembly-versie: 1.0.2902.0
    Win32-versie: 9.05.132.0000
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll
Microsoft.DirectX
    Win32-versie: 5.04.00.2904
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll
OpenFolderDialog
    Assembly-versie: 1.0.0.0
    Win32-versie: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/OpenFolderDialog.DLL
System.Core
    Assembly-versie: 3.5.0.0
    Win32-versie: 3.5.30729.8833 built by: WinRelRS3
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
mscorlib.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX
    Win32-versie: 5.04.00.3900
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll
System.Drawing.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing.resources/2.0.0.0_nl_b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.resources.dll
System.Windows.Forms.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_nl_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

************** JIT-foutopsporing **************
Als u JIT-foutopsporing wilt inschakelen, moet in het configuratiebestand voor deze
toepassing of computer (machine.config) de waarde
jitDebugging in het gedeelte system.windows.forms zijn ingesteld.
De toepassing moet ook zijn gecompileerd terwijl foutopsporing
was ingeschakeld.

Bijvoorbeeld:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Wanneer JIT-foutopsporing is ingeschakeld, worden onverwerkte uitzonderingen
naar het JIT-foutopsporingsprogramma gestuurd dat op de computer is geregistreerd
en worden niet door dit dialoogvenster verwerkt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.