Possible to reduce lag on large stations?

KSP: 0.25 Windows 32bit

Problem: Lag when playing.

Mods installed: A lot.

I got 36 folders in the GameData of a total of 1,62GB (no partheavy like B9)

I've also tuned down the atmosphere mod to minimum and increase the ATM to max.

I've set the atmospheric effect slider to minimum.

Reproduction steps:

Have 27 flights going (mostly satellites - RemoteTech)

Build a station like this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=332888312

Try dock with it.

Log:

The game haven't crashed yet. The problem is that lag removes the fun with the game.

How to Solve:

I'm in search for either an update that removes lag or other solutions that people know about.

KSP: 0.25 Windows 32bit

Problem: Lag when playing.

Mods installed: A lot.

I got 36 folders in the GameData of a total of 1,62GB (no partheavy like B9)

I've also tuned down the atmosphere mod to minimum and increase the ATM to max.

I've set the atmospheric effect slider to minimum.

Reproduction steps:

Have 27 flights going (mostly satellites - RemoteTech)

Build a station like this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=332888312

Try dock with it.

Log:

The game haven't crashed yet. The problem is that lag removes the fun with the game.

How to Solve:

I'm in search for either an update that removes lag or other solutions that people know about.

The game does not need to crash to get a log file. See instructions on where to find it.

EasyAce, it looks like that station is ~175-225 parts? And the craft you try to dock with it might be ~50-100 parts? (I'm assuming you know how to find your part count. It's in one of the buttons on the right side of the screen when you're in map mode.)

That's a CPU bottleneck on the physics in all likelihood. Unfortunately there's not really a (good) fix for that at this time. Too many parts being calculated at the same time just takes a lot of computer power. Certain mods can make the problem worse at lower part counts. There is an easy to do option (there are other things you can change, but you'd have to do manual editing of settings files) you can try though.

In the General tab in settings, there is a slider for Max Physics Delta-Time per Frame. I believe the default setting is 0.04 sec.

If you want the simulation to run faster (not helpful if your clock is green already), move it towards 0.12 sec.

If you want the graphics to be smoother (helpful even if the clock is green), move it towards 0.03 sec.

Edited by kujuman
removed some unhelpful snark :D

Do your best to reduce part count on the station: look for places where you can replace many small parts with one big part. Otherwise, the most likely fix is "get a faster processor"

Since KSP is single-threaded at the moment, you want good single-thread performance, which right now tends to favor high-end Intel chips. I think that might change with the next Unity engine, fortunately.

EasyAce, it looks like that station is ~175-225 parts? And the craft you try to dock with it might be ~50-100 parts? (I'm assuming you know how to find your part count. It's in one of the buttons on the right side of the screen when you're in map mode.)

That's a CPU bottleneck on the physics in all likelihood. Unfortunately there's not really a (good) fix for that at this time. Too many parts being calculated at the same time just takes a lot of computer power. Certain mods can make the problem worse at lower part counts. There is an easy to do option (there are other things you can change, but you'd have to do manual editing of settings files) you can try though.

In the General tab in settings, there is a slider for Max Physics Delta-Time per Frame. I believe the default setting is 0.04 sec.

If you want the simulation to run faster (not helpful if your clock is green already), move it towards 0.12 sec.

If you want the graphics to be smoother (helpful even if the clock is green), move it towards 0.03 sec.

Actualy - 296 parts - 107tons. :-S

Do your best to reduce part count on the station: look for places where you can replace many small parts with one big part. Otherwise, the most likely fix is "get a faster processor"

Since KSP is single-threaded at the moment, you want good single-thread performance, which right now tends to favor high-end Intel chips. I think that might change with the next Unity engine, fortunately.

I guess the long term answer is "get a new CPU"

In the meanwhile, I'l' try th "max physics delta-time pr frame slider.

Thanks guys

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.