Hello and Welcome!

Moach

34 minutes ago, Andem said:

Wait, this is a place? Ok then... Uh, Hi. As you already know I go by Andem online, and several of you know why (check out the "where did your username come from" thread). So, uh, yeah. Hi.

Yes it is.  Hi.  Welcome Andem to the Welcome thread!  :)

Hi.

Happy landings!

11 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Hi, @Astrojude, welcome aboard!

The first thing to remember about orbits is that you're going sideways, not up.

The second thing to remember about orbits is that you can't go sideways right away.

If you combine these things, you get a gravity turn.

That's the simple stuff. If you want, I'd suggest checking out the Gameplay help and tutorials subforums.

P.S. INB4 @Starhawk!

Well, that got me into orbit (around the mun) 

:) thanks 4 the advice

Any recommended rockets for landing on mun?

You know, I just realized something...

I don't think I ever really introduced myself when I started becoming active.  Ahem:

[wowtotallyforgot]

Hello, I'm CliftonM, and I joined over a year ago and am part of the Rep Grand Group, etc yet I never posted in here.  Odd.  Well, it looks like a great forum here. :wink: 

[/wowtotallyforgot]

Hi, @CliftonM!

It's great to have here. There are a ton of friendly people on the forums, so if you need any help, just ask away. The subforums are clearly labeled, so you can figure out where everything belongs.

There's a few good mods that I'd suggest. My favorite (and the one I'm trying to work on) is TAC-Self Destruct.

Welcome aboard!

P.S. INB4 @Starhawk!

Just now, Dman979 said:

My favorite (and the one I'm trying to work on) is TAC-Self Destruct.

Yeah, it'll be nice when we can get some time to work on it. :) 

Hey guys, what mod should I get that will tell me current in-game phase angles of the various planets? Oh, and what is ‘argument of the periapsis’?

20 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Hey guys, what mod should I get that will tell me current in-game phase angles of the various planets? Oh, and what is ‘argument of the periapsis’?

Phase angles? I'll tell you: I don't know.

Argument of Periapsis? I can do that.

Your Argument of Periapsis is how far around your orbit, in degrees, your Periapsis is from your Ascending Node (which is where you cross the equatorial plane of your parent body, going north).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_of_periapsis

P.S. INB4 @Starhawk!

Hello @SmashMan and welcome to the forums!

There are several tutorials around the forum which will teach you how to do a Mun mission.  There is also a tutorial in-game to teach you how to get to the Mun.

Check out the Tutorials Section of the forum.  If you have a specific issue that is causing you difficulty and can't find a solution in the tutorials, check the Gameplay Questions section.  If you can't find an answer to your specific question, post your question there and helpful forum members will attempt to assist you in solving your problem.

Hope this helps.

Happy landings!

@SmashMan,

If you have KSP 1.1 or newer, KSPedia is an in-game wiki that is extremely helpful for things like orbital maneuvering basics such as achieving Mun Orbit. Also, if you click on the Tutorials button at the main menu, it has an amazing two part tutorial on how to go to the Mun and back. Finally if all else fails, I personally would recommend watching Scott Maney’s 'Tutorial For Beginners’ on Youtube.

Starhawk, Dman979, thanks a bunch for those tips.

@Starhawk, I was aware of Kerbal Engineer’s feature. Sorry, looking back, I realized I actually said the wrong thing (as usual). I was actually looking for what the phase angles need to be. Really sorry for the confusion & inconvenience. :blush:

9 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Starhawk, I was aware of Kerbal Engineer’s feature. Sorry, looking back, I realized I actually said the wrong thing (as usual). I was actually looking for what the phase angles need to be. Really sorry for the confusion & inconvenience. :blush:

I'd suggest looking in the tutorials subforum. IIRC, there was a guide to interplanetary transfers there somewhere.

32 minutes ago, TOMMY (JEB 2.0) said:

how do i make a foram (i is tommy)

Hi! To make a thread/topic, you have a few options. Up at the top of the page you can either click "Start new topic" or "Create" and then "Topic". 

On 6/9/2016 at 11:19 PM, SmashMan said:

@Starhawk it's not the getting to the Mun part. It's conserving enough fuel to get there that troubles me. It's either my rocket design or my earth escape

Did you make it there yet?

On 1/25/2016 at 0:21 PM, Avatarium said:

Hello all,

I have been playing KSP for over 200+ hrs. Almost all of that has been spent learning how not to build things. So, I came here in search of some how-to guides. The ones that I have found seem to be for vrs. .23 or .90 and I have the current 1.0.5. I know that 1.1 is coming out sometime this year but I really would like to start getting someplace in the game. My problems arise mostly from trying to put outposts, with wheels, into orbit. Well, for that matter, anything that is bulky and a bit lopsided. I have thought about trying to use more Aspperagus? staging and maybe will have to build my bases in orbit or while landed at site. it I do that I realize that I need a rover type of deal to move parts around. I can not seem to figure out how to build one. The ones I have made seem to fall apart the moment I test them on Kerbal. Kerplow and Kerblewie or kerplunk they all go. Also, question if the various docking ports will attach to one of another size? Any  help pointing me in the right direction will help. Thank you. And for the Devs. Thank you for a great game. 

Welcome aboard! I tried to tag your name, but for some reason, it won't allow me to. You've hit the learning curve and that is completely normal. Just remember, if you put enough thrust behind something - you can make it fly! My first contraptions were nothing more than glorified explosion makers and Kerbal-killers! :D

The good thing is that there is really no right or wrong way to play this game; keep plugging along, keep visiting the forum, watch YouTube, fall down at the altar of Scott Manley, and you'll be a KSP pro in no time... Happy launchings!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Trekkerjoe here. I am new to the forums but not new to the game. It was actually a bug with docking ports (don't worry, I fixed it) that got me here in the first place, but I won't get too far into that. I had been lurking quite a bit on the youtube community for this game. When I finally decided to buy it my learning curve was significantly smaller than I expected. Only 97 hours in (on the campaign) I am already beginning an operation to exploit the mun's resources. Earlier than that, I even got a probe to visit and return from duna.

My strongest interests are robotics and AI.

My secondary interests include, but are not limited to: gaming, designing things, and spaceflight.

One question: I had tried to post something in the technical support forums, but I got no feedback at all. Is that normal? I would assume it has to do with the moderation tag looming over my textbox.