Multi thread

Guest Space Cowboy

No, as far as I know, KSP has not yet been multithreaded. Not sure if it's on the devs list, but KSP's PHYSICS should only be using 1 core. Your core might be being pushed to compensate for any loss in performance from your GPU, but that lies down to how powerful your GPU is. Usually that doesn't happen unless your using an insanely powerful CPU with a crappy GPU or your using an insanely powerful CPU running an iGPU. SO to answer your question - no. At least for now. I'd check what processes you have running; something else might be using your CPU.

Hope this helps,

ToTheMun

Yes and no, while Unity is technically multi-threaded, the physics engine (where KSP does most of it's CPU intensive calculations) is not thread safe.

Ergo, the bulk of the work is still limited to one core.

This is as it has been, and will be unless major changes take place on the Unity3D side of things.

Is .25 multi threaded? When I bring up performance monitor, my 4 cores are busy

When you say "busy" do you mean they are fully used or just that the graphs are doing something? If all 4 cores are fully used (total CPU usage is at 100%) then something else has to be running. You can check in the tab that shows details of all the processes to find what is doing it.

Basically, just because all cores are doing something doesn't mean that they are doing it at the same time. The OS often changes which core a thread is running on, usually many times per second, so a purely single threaded program will usually show usage on all cores.

Unity does actually run multiple threads at the same time but, as others have said, the physics calculations that KSP makes heavy use of are only run by a single thread (actually, virtually all Unity objects and APIs are not thread safe so they can only be used from the main thread). It uses other threads to handle various things like file i/o, and there are also some mods for KSP (e.g. KER) that use other threads to do complex calculations to reduce the impact they have on the game performance.

Guest Space Cowboy

The last time I checked, which was probably .23, cores 2,3 & 4 were flatlined. Like when HAL terminated the Jupiter survey team.

Now on .25 it looks like this AND my fan kicks on higher.

When I pause KSP, the fan goes to slow, normal speed.

When I unpause KSP the fan IMMEDIATELY goes to high, increased & loud speed.

Every time.

Pause low, unpause high.

Untitled_zpsf7519564.png

May I suggest using something like Defraggler? At one point my dual core CPU was up at 90% constantly when idle, and defraggling it settled it down to 5% when idle.

EDIT: Also disable any background processes that may be running that you don't need, for example, Skype or TeamViewer.

Edited by turkwinif

May I suggest using something like Defraggler? At one point my dual core CPU was up at 90% constantly when idle, and defraggling it settled it down to 5% when idle.

EDIT: Also disable any background processes that may be running that you don't need, for example, Skype or TeamViewer.

Defraggler won't make a huge difference. What you are saying happened here is probably the most extreme case. It would've been you hadn't done a defrag for a VERY long time and your cores where always in use trying to index all your files and all the chunks of those files were all around your hard drive. I still don't see why it should have made such a huge difference in idle CPU usage. Its likely that a program that's always running was not in the same place on the hard drive, so the CPU was continually running reading the hard drive and then lining up all those files in virtual memory or RAM. Dunno.

Defraggler won't make a huge difference. What you are saying happened here is probably the most extreme case. It would've been you hadn't done a defrag for a VERY long time and your cores where always in use trying to index all your files and all the chunks of those files were all around your hard drive. I still don't see why it should have made such a huge difference in idle CPU usage. Its likely that a program that's always running was not in the same place on the hard drive, so the CPU was continually running reading the hard drive and then lining up all those files in virtual memory or RAM. Dunno.

and defragging doesn't help a SSD at all

The last time I checked, which was probably .23, cores 2,3 & 4 were flatlined. Like when HAL terminated the Jupiter survey team.

Now on .25 it looks like this AND my fan kicks on higher.

When I pause KSP, the fan goes to slow, normal speed.

When I unpause KSP the fan IMMEDIATELY goes to high, increased & loud speed.

Every time.

Pause low, unpause high.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/jwt0bos/Untitled_zpsf7519564.png

Could you please download "Coretemp" and tell me your CPU temperature while idling and while on maximum load?

For stresstesting i would recommend "Prime95", and yes, booth programs are free. :wink:

I have a feeling that your thermal paste is too old or not correctly applied.

Greetings

Lifeforce87

Edited by Lifeforce87

Guest Space Cowboy

Bought it second hand $1/2 but like new lol. The fan speedup up is not triggered by thermal rise in my case, it is triggered by core utilization, if that helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.