I have found it!! - THE ORIGINAL KERBO LOG!

Moach

• 4 weeks later...
last night, i was looking over some of my and harvesters old drawings - and i found it!

nope - this ain't no april fools gag - it's the real deal!

i present, the true birthplace of the kerbal kind, the very fist documented set of (highly unsuccessful) missions -- THE ORIGINAL KERBO LOG!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1374365/KSP_LOG001.jpg

this was drawn by harvester himself, just over a decade ago (yeah, kerbals had been around for a while before they were put in a game) - he went by the alias 'The Shadow' back then, but you can see the similarity to the sketchwork on the KSP credits screen :thumbup:

anyways - this is also the real reason why the message 'KIA' appears on the crew monitors when they die, a lot of other subtle historical influences such as this have made it into the game as well - notice the first few recorded kerbonauts names ::)

again, todays date undermines my credibility - so let's have harvester vouch for this, where is he?

anyways, just thought i'd share a little of bit of recently rediscovered kerbal history

:cheers:

Where did you get this!?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Bonk-a-dee-bump-bump

fixed the link for the image - it broke when the forums were changed, sorry for the inconvenience.

as for where I got it:

I had it with me ever since it was made. I also had a bunch of other drawings made by my brother in that same box full of papers... I'm pretty sure he's got a bunch of sketches I made in some forlorn box somewhere... we aren't exactly what you'd call "super tidy, well organized ppl", see - stuff gets mixed up lots when you have a twin

so even after I was married, and he had moved on to mexico, I found that I had this sketch in one of my piles of random stuff uh... collections of drawings in my then-apartment

now I'm no longer married, and live about 10 thousand km away from where that apartment had been... but I actually DID bring that sketch with me (it had kinda become a big deal by that time) - so I still have it.

what I no longer have, is any of those cardboard spacecraft... but well, that's mostly due to how those missions turned out... the ones which we could actually locate and salvage after launch were not exactly in a state our parents would have allowed us to bring inside the house without a few objections

as for the name Kerbal, I think it was my brother who coined it for the spacecraft after I had first called the little tin foil man a "Kerbo" - as language evolves over time, Kerbal then became the name of the species, and Kerbo is now used as a word root for Kerbal-related things

Kerbin is one name I distinctly recall having come up with myself -  see,Star Wars was very hyped up back then, as Episode 1 had just came out (yes, the concept of Kerbals is about as old as Jar Jar Binks) -- so it kinda spun off the name "Bespin" - in large part because of a model Bespin Cloud Car we had around at the time these early kerbal konstructs were experimented with...  it fit well as a name for their planet, for it had a funny ring to it, as a "bin full of kerbals" 

and Kerbo was a name I came up with simply by cobbling up some (pseudo-)random syllables which sounded like a funny alien name - no major thought given to it, as I had a tin-foil man in one hand, a rocket in the other, and no safe intentions in mind whatsoever

cheers

Edited by Moach

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.