Struts, when is it too many.. Add your wisdom.

sjwt

So far, I have found it seems that after you reach 210\'ish struts, that adding any more seems to cause more problems than it solves, anyone else noticed other such wisdom?

This is an odd aside, but there is a mathematical theorem that governs this. I have encountered it before in of all things traffic, where it manifests itself as Braess\' Paradox. The idea is that if you have too many paths, you will actually slow down the performance of the system.

I say this in relation to the struts issue because when I first learned of this paradox, there was a video where someone demonstrated the mathematical underpinning by suspending a heavy object with wires, and after adding too many wires, they snipped one, and the heavy object (it was a piece of concrete) LIFTED instead of sagging more as you would expect from cutting a support. That\'s a weird stretch but apparently the math for the two problems is very similar and leads to a similar result.

So, an odd way to get to this notion, but there is such a thing as too much support.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Depends on the size of the rocket.

I received a rocket from a friend, and completely redesigned it, because the strut lag was soo much for a rocket to get something into orbit, that and it was so inefficient that without redesigning it, it could bairly get a pod into orbit. That had too many struts, but I expect to use the same amount on a rocket four times the size of it.

210 huh. Id have drawn the lne at 10. Pics?

I have finalised my Mub base abd lifer over at http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=9947.0 , and as such shall now post pictures of the earlier version that was maxing out at 210ish struts!

I present to you the MCESHER Mk VII

screenshot13.jpg

And a close up shot, showing the struts to support the single Decoupler in-between stages, I find a single decoupler seems to drop the stage away quicker and safer then multiples! So now I don\'t blow up when I change stages! The 210 Struts was an over kill, but it was still a ship in development, and It did brake at the drop of a hat, all versions after this one ran on less struts.

screenshot14.jpg

You really need that many struts? o_e

Ever tried balancing 80 Fuel tanks + Engines on top of a single Decoupler?

Its the Kerbal thing to do!

I have finalised my Mub base abd lifer over at http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=9947.0 , and as such shall now post pictures of the earlier version that was maxing out at 210ish struts!

I present to you the MCESHER Mk VII

screenshot13.jpg

And a close up shot, showing the struts to support the single Decoupler in-between stages, I find a single decoupler seems to drop the stage away quicker and safer then multiples! So now I don\'t blow up when I change stages! The 210 Struts was an over kill, but it was still a ship in development, and It did brake at the drop of a hat, all versions after this one ran on less struts.

screenshot14.jpg

Necessities for landing outside the area of the launch pad... \'Tis a dangerous place out there.

Necessities for landing outside the area of the launch pad... \'Tis a dangerous place out there.

Indeed, I hear the space Kraken is looking for a new place to hide, and under the launch pad sounds about right.