[1.2] Coherent Contracts v1.02 (Dec 1)

DuoDex

Presenting an updated version of Coherent Contracts! Originally by peadar187 and Xacktar, now maintained by DuoDex.

Original Post.

Spoiler

By peadar1987, Xacktar, and expert consultant DuoDex

"It's no secret that no amount of theory would be enough to prove that undergoing rapid unplanned disassembly was part of the reason that, however, an engineer from C7 aerospace found it lacking that the amount of times we underestimated the volatility of common rocket fuel. As you probably guessed, this is where you come in."

If sentences like this make your eyes bleed, then maybe you'll be interested in this project.

Description

We've been through the contract generator text file, and tried to simplify things as much as possible.

Now the generic contract flavour text should at least make grammatical sense most of the time, and have some sort of rational structure and flow.

Additionally, we've increased the number of items in many of the categories, so your contract descriptions should have more variety and flavour than ever before.

Installation

1. Follow this link (it goes to google drive, not some shady file-sharing dungeon)

2. Download the "CoherentContracts" folder

3. Paste it into your "GameData" folder

42. Accept your new, coherent contract.

How can I help?

If you want to contribute, or if you have any suggestions, reply to the thread.

The biggest way you can help is if you spot any weird and wonderful sentences the file throws up, copy the full text into a reply to us, and we'll try and squash the bug that's causing it

**Disclaimer: No responsibility taken for any ocular bleeding caused by the contracts generated by downloading and installing this file. We haven't tested every possible combination of text!

Licensey stuff:

This project uses ModuleManager, originally by Ialdabaoth, maintained by Sarbian. It is completely their work, and you should give them cookies. The lates version can be downloaded from here, although it is contained in our download as well.

This add-on is released under a BSD licence, the text of which can be read here

As peadar1987 and Xacktar have not been able to spend much time updating this plugin I have decided to make a new thread for it.

About

This plugin is essentially a large combination of ModuleManager files that provide an overhaul to the stock contract flavor-text generating mechanism. You shouldn't see sentences that have not so much errors in grammar as a lack of grammar. If you do see any overly colorful sentences, give me the full description and I'll try and quash it.

Pictures

Spoiler

RkHpXtu.png

Downloads

Spacedock : Curse : Also available via the CKAN

Installation

Install this as you would any other mod.

Make sure you have the latest version of ModuleManager, otherwise this mod will not function! Cookies for sarbian and his awesome work.

Contribute

You can help too!

All you have to to is edit the files to your satisfaction, then PM me a link with the file with changes highlighted. I'll have a quick look at it and if I like what I see I'll include it in the next version!

License

This mod is released under the BSD license.

Spoiler

Copyright © <2014>, <Peter Collings ("peadar1987")> and <William Cornwell ("Xacktar")>

All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

-Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

-Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

-The names of the contributors may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

It's good that someone will be maintaining this, but you might want to take a look at the forum link From kerbalstuff to here, at the moment it says this,

http s://kerbalstuff.com/mod/333/forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100098-0-25-Coherent-Contracts-v1-01-(Nov-14)

without that space at the beginning and leads back to it's own page.

It's good that someone will be maintaining this, but you might want to take a look at the forum link From kerbalstuff to here, at the moment it says this,

http s://kerbalstuff.com/mod/333/forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100098-0-25-Coherent-Contracts-v1-01-(Nov-14)

without that space at the beginning and leads back to it's own page.

Crap. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even expose the stock contract description generation in my mod ContractConfigurator, because I find it so bad it's insulting. But the fact that coherent contracts exists gives me hope for the future. But as you've surely deduced from all this, that's why we're here. :wink:

I didn't even expose the stock contract description generation in my mod ContractConfigurator, because I find it so bad it's insulting. But the fact that coherent contracts exists gives me hope for the future. But as you've surely deduced from all this, that's why we're here. :wink:

The stock contract description generator is easily modified (and its mechanics aren't that bad, just poorly implemented NINJA EDIT BEFORE I GET SHOT DOWN in my opinion). Let me know if you want some new parameters for ContractConfigurator and I'll set you up.

Edited by DuoDex

The stock contract description generator is easily modified (and its mechanics aren't that bad, just poorly implemented). Let me know if you want some new parameters for ContractConfigurator and I'll set you up.

Thanks for the offer. Let me take a look at what you've done first - it may be sufficient to just have Coherent Contracts as is as a suggested companion mod for ContractConfigurator.

Ermm...any info? I'm only asking as I go on vacation next week and am not planning around doing much work on this until 0.90

No specific requests until I do some more digging and playing around. But even so, there's a LOT there right so don't forsee needing anything more unless I start exposing the ability to specify some of the parameters used (right now the only thing that can be specified in ContractConfigurator that would affect these is the agency). It'll probably be a while before I can do a real deep dive into this stuff (it's not as high on the priority list), so I may not have anything until the new year.

In the short term though, I will make the description optional to allow using the auto-generated stuff, at which point I'll put Coherent Contracts as a recommend mod on ContractConfigurator.

Many days ago scientist were wondering just how to contracts text descriptor can be made easiest to understand and comprehend. We threw many days and solutions at a wall and see what stuck and decision was made to searching for mod to do just the very thing. As you can see, this is where you come in.

:D

In the short term though, I will make the description optional to allow using the auto-generated stuff, at which point I'll put Coherent Contracts as a recommend mod on ContractConfigurator.

Okay, finally had a look at this, and the pre-release ContractConfigurator now supports TextGen. Once I update the first post in my release I'll add a list of recommended mods, because wow this is so much better than stock.

Now that I understand Coherent Contracts a bit better, I really don't have much in the way of requested updates. Once I or others start building mods using ContractConfigurator, that's when I'll know where things need to be added. If I ever get to that point, I'll likely start throwing strings your way.

• 2 months later...
No pics no clicks man!

Why don't you post some screenshots of the new contract-descriptions?

Regards,

Northstar

Because I didn't feel that they were necessary, as all the mod does is alter text.

Edited by DuoDex

Pics of that text (to show what it looks like with the fix) would still be helpful- and improve community trust in the plugin.

Regards,

Northstar

Fine. Go make an imgur album and post it here. If I like it, I'll use it. :)

Edited by DuoDex

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had the original mod installed and told myself this should be one of my must DL mods but I keep forgetting to DL it. I am still playing through 1.02 career mode, but only mods allowed on this play through are ones that I think should be stock. No part additions just sound and graphics enhancements mostly, plus common sense mods like science X and waypoint manager and smartstage and now this mod. This is definitely one of them!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.