[0.90] Regolith - an open ISRU and Resource framework [0.1.7 - 2015.02.26]

RoverDude

Love this!

So, other than extraplanetary launchpads, what else can ore be used for? I find tons of it.

Mobile Refineries from MKS can turn it into Metal and Rare Metals. Metal can in turn be used to create machinery and spare parts for your MKS modules. So basically, you need it when you want to make your colonies completely self sufficient. The life support modules will keep recycling most things for you, but you'll eventually need to bring in more supplies to keep them running unless you make them from ore :)

EDIT: Ninja'd :D

Will saves break when your other mods switch to Regolith?

Unless he decides to change the model of any current parts or change the names of them no. Switching the dll and the the module in the cfg won't cause any save breakage.

Unless he decides to change the model of any current parts or change the names of them no. Switching the dll and the the module in the cfg won't cause any save breakage.

I would guess he is going to do it without breaking models etc. But it still might shake some things up. Will be interesting.

Nope, nothing will break when I swap over :) It's just non-persistent part module stuff.

Yes, but with Regolith doing procedural resource distribution, will that change in an active save game? Not that it is necessarily bad, but will make things interesting for existing MKS base locations.

I have a suggestion:

Could asteroids have an internal part value of some kind even if they aren't scanned? That way one could land it rather than mining in space and then if you recover that vessel they could yield funds. Maybe could also make asteroids not neigh invincible too.

Yes, but with Regolith doing procedural resource distribution, will that change in an active save game? Not that it is necessarily bad, but will make things interesting for existing MKS base locations.

Excellent point. Yes, some bases may suffer a big surprise. Luckily there will be a very easy way for people to fix this ;)

I have a suggestion:

Could asteroids have an internal part value of some kind even if they aren't scanned? That way one could land it rather than mining in space and then if you recover that vessel they could yield funds. Maybe could also make asteroids not neigh invincible too.

Out of scope for Regolith, but an almost trivial MM config for anyone else to pick up and do.

Would it be possible to make a variable for the resource extraction module that allows you to define what it can mine. That way one could make something like a laser only extract water and other stuff that would be trapped in the ice, while an excavator would only get you more solid stuff like rock and ore.

Would it be possible to make a variable for the resource extraction module that allows you to define what it can mine. That way one could make something like a laser only extract water and other stuff that would be trapped in the ice, while an excavator would only get you more solid stuff like rock and ore.

Github issue please :)

Oh noo not another framework!

Why not merge all the frameworks??? *sighs*

:(

LMAO, would be kinda hard to do considering how many different modders are involved in making each of them. Though from my understanding Regolith is only separate from other USI stuff at the moment because rover is still tweaking it. Once he gets it the way he wants it then it will replace his other frameworks (for the same thing anyway) permanently. Its just "optional" at the moment :)

@Joshwood - see the notes above on why I am doing this.

And merging implies other modders are interested in working on projects together. Because merging into an existing framework without the cooperation of the (very likely still active) author just means you now have two frameworks ;) And inability to have stuff out there do what I want means I have to roll a ton of custom code, or... wait for it... build a framework for all of my mods. I chose the latter path as the one of least resistance.

Oh... and I answered this question in the first post ;)

@Joshwood - see the notes above on why I am doing this.

And merging implies other modders are interested in working on projects together. Because merging into an existing framework without the cooperation of the (very likely still active) author just means you now have two frameworks ;) And inability to have stuff out there do what I want means I have to roll a ton of custom code, or... wait for it... build a framework for all of my mods. I chose the latter path as the one of least resistance.

Oh... and I answered this question in the first post ;)

How dare you call me joshwood!

:(

Ive been playing with the idea of splitting water to make LiquidHydrogen. From what I can gather the hydrogen from water is only about 11.2% of H2O's total mass. I went ahead and whipped this module up for the ISRU.

Water = 1kg/unit = 0.28 units LiquidHydrogen and 629ish units Oxygen.

LiquidHydrogen = 0.4kg/unit

Oxygen = 0.00141kg/unit

MODULE
{
name = REGO_ModuleResourceConverter
StartActionName = Start H2O->LqH
StopActionName = Stop H2O->LqH
RecipeInputs = ElectricCharge,10,Water,2
RecipeOutputs = LiquidHydrogen,0.56,false,Oxygen,1259,true

}

Setting the second output true from false will allow the converter to run even after the Oxygen is full, it will not stop until it runs out of water or fills the Liquid Hydrogen.

Thoughts?