[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

If radial engines are being considered, I propose the names "Chicken" and "Rooster" for a small-sh (2x Thud size) and a large one (4x Thud or so), keeping with the naming scheme of flightless birds.

I like it. :)

6 hours ago, Codraroll said:

If radial engines are being considered, I propose the names "Chicken" and "Rooster" for a small-sh (2x Thud size) and a large one (4x Thud or so), keeping with the naming scheme of flightless birds.

To correct the record, chickens can indeed fly (at least when their primary flight feathers aren't clipped..); they're just not very good at it..

19 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Updated:

1.16 (2017-01-30) - SRB Update.
 - Corrected smoke emitter location on the 3.75m SRB, 21m length.
 - Added a 30m long 3.75m SRB.
 - Added a 29m long 2.5m SRB.

Thanks for the update! And thanks for the mod in general!

Just checking though, no luck with fixing the landing legs yet, right? At least mine are still sliding around like they're teflon-coated unless there's literally zero slope.

Could be simple to use the ejectatrons and flingatron and turn them in some monoprop or LF/Ox radial engines. You'll have the Chicken from the Ejectatron and the Rooster from the Flingatron.

About landing legs I have this issue with ALL the LL I tested and my only way I found to stop them to slide was to anchor them with the KAS hook and locking the winch. And don't forget to remove the hook before taking off, that will be harmful for your spacecraft and the crew ... :sealed:

Actually stock legs and also the ones from MKS work fine and don't slide much until the slope is more than 10° or so. But the SpaceY legs are much better at folding aerodynamically so I prefer them for atmospheric rocket stages.

Although for now I solve the problem with the MKS "ground tether" feature which has the advantage that it breaks automatically when you take off again. (I used an MM patch to add it to SpY legs...)

I was curious about fuel tank volumes, so I calculated the approximate ratios between 3.75 / 5m / 7.5m (approximating a 15m tank height):

• 3.75m = 662 m3
  • 5m = 1178 m3 (1.78x)
  • 7.5m = 2650 (4.00)

The actual in-game ratios are spot-on (5m is 1.75x the 3.75m part, 7.5m stack is 4x the 3.75m part).

Spoiler

3BgXab7.png

gePPoit.png

HwCaiOX.png

13 hours ago, Helbrecht said:

I just got the Welding mod and it works well, except it causes all SpaceY parts to have flickering meshes, does anyone know of a way to fix it or maybe remove most of the meshes so it only has one left.

The new welded part would need to have the SpaceY color-changing MM configs applied to it. Unfortunately that's probably going to be a manual process, unless the welded parts use a predictable naming scheme where a wildcard can be used in MM to apply it. Ugly in any case.

21 minutes ago, Helbrecht said:

I figured it would be a process, I think I'm gonna ditch the weld mod in any case cause once I got a craft created it started ignoring gravity and flying straight up at 10k m/s so I think its broken on my game.

The fun thing about welding -- you don't actually need it installed to use a welded part (just any models or textures that it refers to).  But in general, things with texture switching or moving parts or other special features don't play well with welding unless you're willing to edit the .cfg file that gets created.

With the mesh-switching (technically I'm swapping meshes instead of textures), it needs to have a config present to disable the meshes you're not using, otherwise you get the flickering. In the SpaceY patches folder, there's a color-changing config, and one of the rule sets in there is designed to disable the switching when the switcher mods aren't present. It just needs a copy of the disabling patches that handle those meshes, I think. There will be duplicate mesh names in a welded part, so I'm not sure if it'll play nice or not.

The small SRBs act really weird when using the Variable SRB Limiter mod, I can set it to start at a 2.0 TWR and end at a 2.0 TWR, and it does, but what happens is it spikes up to like 10 TWR in the middle and burns out all the fuel in a few seconds.  The mod works correctly with stock SRBs. 

On 2/8/2017 at 6:48 PM, spec111 said:

Hello! Nice mod! Why i cant rezise Fenrir SRB but can resize other SRB?

Hmm. They're all covered in the TweakScale config. Are you using the latest SpaceY version? I could probably look in your log and see if it's doing something strange.

On 2/12/2017 at 4:31 PM, eberkain said:

The small SRBs act really weird when using the Variable SRB Limiter mod, I can set it to start at a 2.0 TWR and end at a 2.0 TWR, and it does, but what happens is it spikes up to like 10 TWR in the middle and burns out all the fuel in a few seconds.  The mod works correctly with stock SRBs. 

Unfortunately that's going to be a question for the SRB Limiter mod's thread. I don't have any configs to control how it does its limiting and thrust curves, so it's all on their side.

6 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Unfortunately that's going to be a question for the SRB Limiter mod's thread. I don't have any configs to control how it does its limiting and thrust curves, so it's all on their side.

ok, I figured since stock SRBs worked fine and the ones from here didn't that you might have had something else going on with your SRBs.  I will post a bug report in the other thread. 

So quick question. I'm probably missing it in the OP but whatever. I downloaded the RO pre-release for 1.2 along with SpaceY and am unable to use the parts much since they literally say "Non RO". So where is the RO download? Thanks.

Fire

Got a numbers problem:

Advanced reaction wheel, large--stock part, 2.5m  Torque = 30.

SpaceY split reaction wheel, 3.75m.  Torque = 25.  Since they are supposed to be used in pairs this means 50.

SpaceY split reaction wheel, 5m.  Torque = 30.  Since they are supposed to be used in pairs this means 60.

Square-cube law---our 5m rocket is 8x the weight of our 2.5m rocket, yet you are providing only twice the torque.

Also, these are in specialized control (which is before we unlock the SpaceY parts) with nothing beyond it--there are no 7.5m and 10m reaction wheels.

I'm trying to make a large bird maneuverable enough to land and it's proving problematic.

Well it's not that surprising that the scaling isn't the same. It reaches the limits of the technology's performances. You can use vernors to support SAS (as mentionned before me) and more important fly your craft gently. It's normal it doesn't turn like a F-16 if it's a 2,500t rocket flying at 900m/s :sticktongue:

Given the capacity of the SY tanks, you shouldn't be worrying about losing a bit of fuel to maneuvering vernors. I suspect that using vernors/fuel for maneuvering a large rocket results in less deltaV loss than the sevaral-dozen tons of reaction wheels that would be required to manhandle that much mass anyway.

You can always spam the giant SY probe cores -- those have a fair bit of torque.

Edited by ExtremeSquared

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.