Is the Space Program making enough Money for Squad?

Xazas

So for myself i have an Order ID for KSP of around 7700 and i bought it in late january... does that mean 7700 copies where sold until then? I dont want to hear any numbers, but i am wondering if you guys from squad can life from making the game?(i hope so) Or even if you get realy Rich? I grant it you. ;)

I am realy sorry if I am to curious or offend you in any way with this question. If its so please remove this thread.

Even if it is at 7700 orders, consider that KSP is still at an early stage, and that number will still grow. With each big content patch, that will attract a chunk of people at a time. With each Youtube sensation that throws light on the game, that will attract another big chunk of people. I have faith that Squad will stay strong through the hardships of early development.

If anything this helps you become aware of how perilous development can be. It isn\'t easy for anyone, even those funded by a big publisher, as they face their project getting scrapped at any time if some bigwig decides the winds aren\'t blowing right.

There is nothing offensive here, your concerns are legit. But you shouldn\'t worry. KSP is a class upon itself and stands to become a name for many to remember. I aim to be here for the long run. Grab the seat here beside me and we can both enjoy the ride. Even if Jeb is piloting.

I think you rather get a random number. Look at my order info:

3120 Kerbal Space Program 10 USD 2012-03-07

If it\'s not random I think the number alwayse resets when they increase the prise. Than you\'re probably the xth person who bought KSP when it was priced at $ x

BTW, I am too curious too :P :$

If we say that all purchases up to 7700 were for $7(which the weren\'t) and that there have actually been 7700 purchases (which I doubt there has been that few) then that\'s $53900 right there.

So the minimum current revenue from KSP so far is $53900.

I think they can live of that, yes.

but remember those 53900$ where for 1 year of work for not only one person....

Inspiring Post samstarman5! Yeah there was no game like KSP which kept my attention for so long since two years or so... an I am here since last July.

I think the avarage amount of money people have spend on KSP is at least 10 USD. Capt\'n Skunky said there are more than 10.000 people who bought KSP. So, that at least 100.000$ USD.

I think they should do the same thing Minecraft does, and show stats of the players so far. i.e., number of downloads, number of registered users, etc.

+1 to this exactly

Was just about to say the same thing!

But yes, this kind of thing is really interesting, always like to know the stats. Its good to know if a game your interested and invested in is doing well financially as well. Even if it is a bit nosey :)

If we say that all purchases up to 7700 were for $7(which the weren\'t) and that there have actually been 7700 purchases (which I doubt there has been that few) then that\'s $53900 right there.

So the minimum current revenue from KSP so far is $53900.

I think they can live of that, yes.

No they can\'t live off that, are you insane? The average cost of living in the USA is 55,000$ a year. Yes squad is in mexico, but the company as a whole is 25 people, with an office to pay for and servers to pay for. This stuff costs money...

Of course, Squad isn\'t just KSP, they have other projects.

Also, a company typically invests in a game during development, with the profits coming when its finished and in wide release; this indie model where you can pre-pay and get all of the early versions helps offset some of the early cost, yes, but it isn\'t supposed to make the game immediately profitable.

Really all we know is that Harv said he is surprised and happy with how fast KSP has grown in popularity, which was evident as the demand outstripped their server capacity.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Harv was nervous about releasing the game for this reason, but he thinks its going well. The fact that they have more people on the team than before says something at least on how its going. Yes they are new to the games industry but I hope that the game is in at least a finishable condition when eather squad goes bankrupt (which won\'t happen any time soon (haven\'t looked at there finances so I don\'t know for sure)) or they abandon development after release which unlike minecraft where they picked an arbortrary date, they most likely (from what I have heard) is when they have finished all of the feature.