WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

Hey Everyone!

Just thought I would move development discussion over here while I work to keep the main thread a bit cleaner.

Main thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905

GUI is now accessed via ALT+0

IF YOU DON'T POST SCREENSHOTS AND/OR LOGS, I CANNOT HELP YOU.

Please don't use WIP any more. It is no longer valid. Pull the main releases if you want to test the newest features. It may be in a broken state.

Edited by rbray89

The "x86" means it will only work in 32bit, right? I've got a stable (seriously!) 64bit build on my laptop and I'd like to use it there, is there an x64 version? :)

Installed this version and after much poking and prodding I've managed to get KSP to load up but it seems something isn't playing nice at all with EVE.

At the space centre screen the sky appears to have been replaced with a texture of Kerbin (this used to happen with the last overhaul) and it's bright red (this is new).

Just for information, I do also have Distant Object (the latest one) and Planetshine installed but I have seen people use both of them and EVE so I'm not sure why my install is borked.

Edit: The "GUI content" spam was being caused by Texture Replacer. Not sure about the unclickable buildings however.

Edited by djnattyd

I find that this new build uses a significantly more amount of memory, about 500mb loaded more for some reason

also can't interact with anything once loaded :/ (got it working, i fresh reinstall)

no clouds in main menu either

in game the world is darker and hazier(zooming down into ksc as far as it goes gets to the bottom of the haze and ksc looks like its supposed to imo but only on a small portion of the screen

in planet view kerbin is covered entirely with a single type of tile of cloud with a thick white band across the equator... will post pics when i can

water is very transparent, at certain angles you can see very far into the horizon under water(this is from ksc view)

this is spamming my log

[Error]: Texture 'BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1' has no data

Edited by Orange_Ignition

Oh wow, this is beautiful, thanks!

I think, the night-side of Kerbin is way to bright due the clouds.

The atmosphere shader hasn't yet had lighting effects applied to it, so it's always bright on the darkside atm

At the space centre screen the sky appears to have been replaced with a texture of Kerbin (this used to happen with the last overhaul) and it's bright red (this is new).

This might be a memory issue. Once I get near 'critical' for memory usage, EVE starts having issues. However, the question should be asked is this an x86 or x64 problem?

I would recommend changing the default value of atmosphere visibility from 0.000035 to 0.000020 or 0.000025. When the value is set to 0.000035, the fade-out looks very ugly and unrealistically close during high altitude flight.

Edited by Vaporo

This might be a memory issue. Once I get near 'critical' for memory usage, EVE starts having issues. However, the question should be asked is this an x86 or x64 problem?

x86

You're probably right regarding the memory issue, I am getting close to the 32 bit cap.

Couple of things I've seen so far, sorry if you are just waiting to implement some of these and have not gotten around to them yet

As stated by others, the dark side of kerbin is extremely bright

Only Kerbin has coulds (I assume you are going to implement others later on as in the main mod)

On the title screen Kerbin is seen without any clouds

(Not sure if this is caused by the mod or not) The Mun is very bright when exposed to the light

Clouds cast dark shadows (I see how this could be a new feature)

I'm trying not to seem like I'm telling you to do something, sorry if it comes off that way.

Edited by CapCornsnack

I have similar issues as djnattyd, bright-red surfaces at the horizon, also very "thin" looking water and lots of flickering. KSP starts up with 2,5 GB memory usage, hits 3 GB when I load my game and goes back to 2.75GB after I visited the Trackig Station once.

However, I may add that I am fairly new to RSS/RO and I read in the other thread, that RVE needs RSS 7.3 but when I grabbed RSS last week it was already 8.2.1. Is this the problem?

Hey rbray TL;DR comming up soz - just wandering if it'd be possible to make the ground haze render in a circular fashion around the POV as opposed to in one area infront as shown here:

Bc9FflD.png

Could you extend the PQS water texture render distance as you did to the PQS land texture?

One last thing and this'll be hard to describe, but with respect to the 'above/sky' haze (i.e. the 2D layer that's attached to the atmo shader that works on a fade distance basis) if this could effectively work instead on a negative falloffPower and fall off scale basis when viewed from underneath you could achieve a much smoother fade.

rE6DhYE.png

Notice how here the haze effect is solid opaque until it reaches the fadeing start point where it then falls off continuously. - If I try to bring the haze start point down to the horizon here, the atmosphere will be to thin above and the attached ground haze effect will be too distant/weak (-why, if pos, I'd like to have these effects separated).

So by using inverse falloff effects instead of the fade distance being used to achieve the sky atmo effect, you could push this thick looking haze down to the horizon so the fade start point is at the horizon and fades more continuously/smoothly/realistically up.

QFx9WMV.png

Note in this pic the atmo 'sky' haze has been placed behind my complimentary blue sky layers since the load order was changed.

If you managed to follow any of that, I'm impressed :P And just wanna clarify, I'm not havin a go or posting hate, I love this so much, just a few ideas for further improvement :)

EDIT: having now also tested the SS haze effect, this issue is more obvious.

Might I suggest employing the 2D fadein&out haze you used in older versions to compliment the ground haze effects and blend the colours above and below the horizon line together, especially in SS but maybe also at the top of PQS too?

This is the effect I'm referring too below, where the layers run into each other, although I think the lower('ground') haze fade should again be based on a spherical to POV basis and not a perpendicular line as is here.

erjoNKb.png

Edited by pingopete

Is any collaboration planned between silverfox and yourself concerning whether?

I had a look through his thread for this, weirdly he said his and rbray's mod won't be compatible.. now I'm not one to rain on anyone's parade but from what I saw it looked as though he was using the identical code for clouds but regarding it as his own? I mean I know the EVE licence is pretty open source but still.. seems a little cheeky to regard majoratively someone else's work as your own though right, unless he's actually meaning it's an extension of EVE (utilizing it) and he's merely using it which is not what was stated or suggested in the OP and comments

I had a look through his thread for this, weirdly he said his and rbray's mod won't be compatible.. now I'm not one to rain on anyone's parade but from what I saw it looked as though he was using the identical code for clouds but regarding it as his own? I mean I know the EVE licence is pretty open source but still.. seems a little cheeky to regard majoratively someone else's work as your own though right, unless he's actually meaning it's an extension of EVE (utilizing it) and he's merely using it which is not what was stated or suggested in the OP and comments

Silverfox reached out to me for support, and I told them it (wind) was on my planned roadmap, but as of yet, the ability to have clouds move with wind in such a way that would look good from scaled space and macro space wouldn't really be possible.

Silverfox asked if it were possible to port the code, and I told them that due to the licence, they most certainly can, but I'd prefer if they were to wait for it to be supported inherently with procedural cloud generation (hopefully with a "wind" map). Silverfox also used the old mainline of branch rather than using the overhaul branch like I requested.

I told them that as per the license, all that is required is having the license brought into the source, indicating the code origin. As for any other attribution, well, I didn't request it.

Rbray, seriously, I'm working with the new version... and it's a pure awesomeness. I have a little request: the GUI seems to be yet a bad place to make changes... kills the frame rate and makes all layers crazy when you introduces changes (not happens when you change the settings via .cfg).

It's only me doing something wrong there or it's a non polished feature yet?

Oh, and (despite the planet light issue in this new version) I think that the lastest versions of DOE, Planet Shine and Kittopia seems to not be fully compatible... I'm suffering wrong, strange and strong illuminations in the planetary view (all bodies), the skybox fade to dark (DOE) seems to not work and the vacuum light config in PS seems to not work at all.

Rbray, seriously, I'm working with the new version... and it's a pure awesomeness. I have a little request: the GUI seems to be yet a bad place to make changes... kills the frame rate and makes all layers crazy when you introduces changes (not happens when you change the settings via .cfg).

It's only me doing something wrong there or it's a non polished feature yet?

Oh, and (despite the planet light issue in this new version) I think that the lastest versions of DOE, Planet Shine and Kittopia seems to not be fully compatible... I'm suffering wrong, strange and strong illuminations in the planetary view (all bodies), the skybox fade to dark (DOE) seems to not work and the vacuum light config in PS seems to not work at all.

That shouldn't happen via the GUI. The only thing I can think of that would cause this is not using properly formatted fields. Whenever I played around with the GUI to add/remove or modify layers it seems to work.

I'm not surprised. Those mods all alter the lighting conditions and anything could happen at that point. I can't be accountable for what those other mods due to the stock lighting, and frankly, there is no way for me to compensate.

That shouldn't happen via the GUI. The only thing I can think of that would cause this is not using properly formatted fields. Whenever I played around with the GUI to add/remove or modify layers it seems to work.

I'm not surprised. Those mods all alter the lighting conditions and anything could happen at that point. I can't be accountable for what those other mods due to the stock lighting, and frankly, there is no way for me to compensate.

Obviously is not your fault at all, just informing. I understand that several mods modifying similar values can make appear errors. But I thought you were going to include DOE inside EVE...

Obviously is not your fault at all, just informing. I understand that several mods modifying similar values can make appear errors. But I thought you were going to include DOE inside EVE...

A form of DOE. I want to do it in such a way that we no longer manually draw points, and rather let the existing scaled space geometry handle things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.