WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

A form of DOE. I want to do it in such a way that we no longer manually draw points, and rather let the existing scaled space geometry handle things.

Would be possible to include the skybox darkening feature from DOE? Adds an amazing and very photorealistic effect of inmersion when the sunflare is present.

When I have time I will try to see if I can find a way to keep compatibility.

Maybe we should try to work on a common API for proper compatibility between plugins that changes ambient lights.

Edited by Valerian

Truly impressive Rbray, now this is even better! But I'm not capable to work with the GUI: if I try to modify the enviroment, further away from escale and texture's path all becomes crazy.

A pair of my initial layers as example:

aurora
{
altitude = 20600
speed = 200
scaledOverlay = Geometry
layer2D
{
detailSpeed = 6
shadow = False
offset = 0,0,0
shadowOffset = 0,0,0
macroCloudMaterial
{
_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/aurorauplayer
_DetailTex =
_DetailScale =
_Color = 1,1,1,1
_FalloffPow = 2
_FalloffScale = 3
_DetailDist = 2E-06
_MinLight = 0.5
_FadeDist = 8
_FadeScale = 0.00375
_RimDist = 0.0001
_RimDistSub = 1.01
_InvFade = 0.008
}
scaledCloudMaterial
{
_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/aurorauplayer
_DetailTex =
_DetailScale =
}
}
layerVolume
{
texture = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/aurorauplayer
offset = 0,0,0
size = 2500,4500,0
particleMaterial
{
_TopTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/4
_LeftTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/6
_FrontTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/5
_Color = 1,1,1,1
_DistFade = 1
_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
_LightScatter = 0.55
_MinLight = 0.5
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
}
Clouds
{
altitude = 4250
speed = 30
scaledOverlay = Geometry
layer2D
{
detailSpeed = 15
shadow = True
offset = 0,0,0
shadowOffset = 0,0,0
macroCloudMaterial
{
_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1
_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail
_DetailScale = 14
_Color = 1,1,1,1
_FalloffPow = 2
_FalloffScale = 3
_DetailDist = 2E-06
_MinLight = 0.5
_FadeDist = 8
_FadeScale = 0.00375
_RimDist = 0.0001
_RimDistSub = 1.01
_InvFade = 0.008
}
scaledCloudMaterial
{
_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1
_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail
_DetailScale = 18
}
}
layerVolume
{
texture = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1
offset = 0,0,0
size = 2500,4500,0
particleMaterial
{
_TopTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/1
_LeftTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/2
_FrontTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/3
_Color = 1,1,1,1
_DistFade = 1
_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
_LightScatter = 0.55
_MinLight = 0.5
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
}

What I'm doing wrong? :confused:

EDIT: Oh, and all layers appears as "Invalid N..." (is not fully visible). Even the stock ones.

Edited by Proot

Not likely, the mask for it won't allow it. Are you running with any other mods?

For my tests I'm using it along with RPM, Toolbar, Hyperedit, MechJeb, Texture Replacer and Tweakscale.

I can add a pair of extra layers to kerbin (even using 3 new particles, independent from the cloud ones) without many problems and runs quite well, but with more layers the things goes too crazy for me: more than two extra layers seems to turn the layer order in a very important thing (but I don't get how it works, because it don't seem a matter of altitude or similar) and the plugin starts to do strange things...

Depends on how you placed your layers, some layers can do it well, others not, even sometimes some layers seems to override others...

In the first version of the overhaul in this thread (the version with the shader issue) all it was a bit more unstable but I have come to use up four extra layers.

Now the GUI seems more stable for me, but more than two new layers makes the plugin goes wild.

All layers keeps appearing as "Invalid..." (not fully visible) in my GUI. Stock ones or new layers.

Really nice proot, especially like what you've done with the sun flare DDS, looks real nice, still tryna figure out how to get it more subtle

Thanks! I'm working on it a bit more, trying to get the most photorealistic effect.

Now I'm improving the distance effects and trying new tricks in the new version. Would be even more amazing if the textures may use bumpmaps, check the ocean, despite the WIP horizon transparency I think is getting better...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Is this the right place to request help in getting this setup? I'm getting now clouds in any install of this mod. I've tried multiple versions and none will render clouds since 7-4 (and that one gives no city lights).

Thanks for any help.

Gonna need logs to help. Did you try it without any other mods?

Okay, the logs from the three versions of EVE are in a .rar are here. Bugs are summarized below:

• 7-4: This one's making a liar out of me. It's working now.
  • 9-2 Overhaul: City lights, no clouds.
  • x86 release: clouds now present again, but Inverted cloud colors (black) with bizarre shading on the nightside of Kerbin. Appearance varies with angle of view.

Again, no other mods installed.

Okay, the logs from the three versions of EVE are in a .rar are here. Bugs are summarized below:

• 7-4: This one's making a liar out of me. It's working now.
  • 9-2 Overhaul: City lights, no clouds.
  • x86 release: clouds now present again, but Inverted cloud colors (black) with bizarre shading on the nightside of Kerbin. Appearance varies with angle of view.

Again, no other mods installed.

x86 release should be what we are discussing here...

So, the issues you describe, do you have any screenshots for them?

Last version works pretty well for me... In linux and windows... I must give congratulations to Rbray89, the new atmospherical system is simply near to perfection. So beside what I said before, I've found a pair of new "things":

Javascript is disabled. View full album

1º Pic: you can see. The new atmospheres overlaps the near bodies. (and blocks the sun -at certain level that should be even good and quite realist, but right now at some altitudes the sun is completely blocked by the atmo)

2º Pic: is more a few questions... From where comes the dark blue near to the horizon? To be realistic that should be (at contrary) another bright fade from the horizon to the camera (very similar to the distrance effect that new atmospheres do right now), not a dark one as is right now. That is not configurable right now with EVE, isn't it? I don't know if it's a stock reminiscence or what, but right now is the most important "breaker" in the change/fade between the ground view and the space/map view. Is the most visible "gap" as you pass from the planetary scales to the space ones.

Oh, and the distance fade in the under clouds seems to not work right now. The texture remains strong to the end of the view (without changes using GUI or .cfg) and makes a multiple holes effect in the change to the planetary view, instead to make a fade, in which case probably will be a not noticeable change (as is in the reality).

Oh, and feels a bit heavier in performance, but maybe could be just an impression or a fault from my modifications.

Last version works pretty well for me... In linux and windows... I must give congratulations to Rbray89, the new atmospherical system is simply near to perfection. So beside what I said before, I've found a pair of new "things":

http://imgur.com/a/JVqFf

1º Pic: you can see. The new atmospheres overlaps the near bodies. (and blocks the sun -at certain level that should be even good and quite realist, but right now at some altitudes the sun is completely blocked by the atmo)

2º Pic: is more a few questions... From where comes the dark blue near to the horizon? To be realistic that should be (at contrary) another bright fade from the horizon to the camera (very similar to the distrance effect that new atmospheres do right now), not a dark one as is right now. That is not configurable right now with EVE, isn't it? I don't know if it's a stock reminiscence or what, but right now is the most important "breaker" in the change/fade between the ground view and the space/map view. Is the most visible "gap" as you pass from the planetary scales to the space ones.

Oh, and the distance fade in the under clouds seems to not work right now. The texture remains strong to the end of the view (without changes using GUI or .cfg) and makes a multiple holes effect in the change to the planetary view, instead to make a fade, in which case probably will be a not noticeable change (as is in the reality).

Oh, and feels a bit heavier in performance, but maybe could be just an impression or a fault from my modifications.

Yeah, there are still a couple things I'm trying to work out with the atmosphere... Hopefully addressed soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.