Skyler4856

For Questions That Don't Merit Their Own Thread

1220 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

I know an easy way to do it for a model rocket. 

well its more or less a macgyver rocket rather than a model rocket  lol 

1 minute ago, DD_bwest said:

well its more or less a macgyver rocket rather than a model rocket  lol 

Well cut out some foam board, thin wood, or cardboard, then find the balance. That's the center of pressure. I don't know how or why it works but it does.

Edited by munlander1

Just now, munlander1 said:

Well cut out some foam board, thin wood, or cardboard, then find the balance. That's the center of pressure. I don't know how or why it works but it does.

hmm okay ill try that.  should i have the 4 fins straight  up n down/side to side. or  should they be angled.  as itll effect the length of them in the cut out

Just now, DD_bwest said:

hmm okay ill try that.  should i have the 4 fins straight  up n down/side to side. or  should they be angled.  as itll effect the length of them in the cut out

YNlYJIE.jpg

5 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

YNlYJIE.jpg

thanx that looks like full length.  now i just need a 4 foot cardboard sheet lol

5 minutes ago, DD_bwest said:

thanx that looks like full length.  now i just need a 4 foot cardboard sheet lol

No problem. I think you could scale it down if you really wanted too.

Just now, munlander1 said:

No problem. I think you could scale it down if you really wanted too.

I could  try that to, i wanna do alot of testing before i launch the real thing.  doing a half sized would probably be easier

on a ksp note, im gonna take the logos you can put on rockets in game and make stickers i can put in my rockets lol

1 person likes this

that sounds like lounge talk, this is for SCIEEEEEEENCE!!!!

how will the SpaceX Falcon Heavy land both of the stages at the same time? will it be computerized or will it be manned, another question, is it manned already?

14 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

SCIEEEEEEENCE

Science rules

I think both will be computerized like previous landings.

Posted (edited)

what if a celestial bodies external  land/limit/"peripheral density concentration" velocity rotation speed on itself around it's axis happen to be faster than celerity for whatever reason this could/may/already happen(ed) ?

just poking around because something that is already rotating fast could eventually become faster and faster @ it's periphery if it get bigger and bigger // "radius + matter in rotation density" at some point , whatever the reason this happen (and far superior to the critical velocity as described in the linked book)  ... from an abstract theorical point of view i mean

edit: https://books.google.fr/books?id=akDVteYDC1kC&pg=PA79&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

somehow i don't like much how this paragraph start:  "It has long been recognized that ..." that what that the earth is flat ? and then what ? it exclude what ever random event or exception to the the most commonly shared set of rules ? it's even like writing this: "it has long been recognized ... (( but still still something sound wrong about that somewhere as an ommissive way of subconcsious form of writing ))

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
UTF-8#q=rotation+period+and+other+data+correlation+repartition&* ... hum ... hum

22 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

that sounds like lounge talk, this is for SCIEEEEEEENCE!!!!

how will the SpaceX Falcon Heavy land both of the stages at the same time?

The same way Falcon 9 lands. It is all automatic.

22 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

will it be computerized or will it be manned, another question, is it manned already?

Rockets are always flown by computers on a predetermined trajectory, even when they are manned. It makes no sense to introduce human error. Falcon is just a launcher. Dragon is the spacecraft. Dragon 1 is un unmanned cargo vehicle. Dragon 2 will be the manned version, but it hasn't flown yet.

Posted (edited)

oh okay, thanks everybody!

it does make sense, but one last question

due to the first falcon 9 being the first rocket to land upright without parachutes, were the first landings manned? as in controlled by humans?

Edited by StupidAndy

22 hours ago, peadar1987 said:

Darude Sandstorm

you know, I almost posted this... then decided against it... but maybe i should have.

30 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

oh okay, thanks everybody!

it does make sense, but one last question

due to the first falcon 9 being the first rocket to land upright without parachutes, were the first landings manned? as in controlled by humans?

No, they are autonomous using sensors and computer algorithms.  Unless, you want to count the computer code that was written by humans as making it human controlled.  :)

Also, Falcon 9 was not the first rocket to land upright without parachutes.  Here's one example called the Delta Clipper from the 1990s:

I really should search this stuff up

5 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

I really should search this stuff up

Heh no worries.  That's why this forum is here.  :) 

1 person likes this

I was playing with an electromagnet and it was vibrating. Why was that?

With what kind of current were you supplying it? If it was AC, then it was vibrating because the current (and therefore the magnetic field) is alternating in its direction. If it was DC... I 'unno.

It was dc.

What kind of power source did you use? Battery, cheap ac adapter or maybe some lab equipment?

20 minutes ago, monophonic said:

What kind of power source did you use? Battery, cheap ac adapter or maybe some lab equipment?

I don't know if it was lab grade, but it was not cheap. I forget the name of it though.

37 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

I don't know if it was lab grade, but it was not cheap. I forget the name of it though.

Ok, so hopefully its output is reasonably clean. Cheap adapters often produce "dirty" dc, that is the voltage doesn't switch sign but it still varies significantly at noticeable frequencies. That can also produce a vibrating sensation in an electromagnet, especially near magnetic materials. If you want to check your adapter for this you'll need an oscilloscope.

Posted (edited)

What chemical system has the highest specific energy? Does it also rank highly on energy density? What is its specific energy, and how quickly does it release this energy?

Edited by 0111narwhalz