[WIP] Mining and Processing Extension [KIMP] resumed

riocrokite

18 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

You can take a look at KSPI-E 1.8.11 or  1.10  which currently contains a laser turret and microwave rectenna which both contain a good example

ok, I'll have a look at these.

Meanwhile I (more or less) finished 2 new parts - gas centrifuge and volatiles separation tower. From left to right: long mixed gas/liquid container, short mixed gas/liquid container, gas centrifuge (for he3), volatiles separation unit:

TR2bssn.png

Edited by riocrokite

2 hours ago, riocrokite said:

ok, I'll have a look at these.

Meanwhile I (more or less) finished 2 new parts - gas centrifuge and volatiles separation tower. From left to right: long mixed gas/liquid container, short mixed gas/liquid container, gas centrifuge (for he3), volatiles separation unit:

TR2bssn.png

Looks nice. Is the tower on the right retractable? Because that would be difficult to transport.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Ylbuz7z.png

new parts on a frame, couple of different length and type of tanks, then isru stuff, at the right end are different types of surface miners. still a lot of work with texturing all that stuff. probably will go easy route and use plain colors :P.

unity shot:

4BaXmLa.png

what is lacking -> energy modules (solar dishes, batteries, generators) and (extendable) ore containers.

Edited by riocrokite

• 4 weeks later...

just an update, first pass of colors and AO texturing is done, so models are more or less ready for initial release.

sneak-peak:

k6juc13.pngnow I

need to learn how to implement smoke and then hopefully tweak animation code so there are some more options when fine-tuning equipment operation.

Nice Job ! Really great for Blender Only Workflow ! I suggest you to look at Zbrush Zmodeler ! Cost around 1000$ but it's really great ! Let me know if you wanna cooperate with me.

Just an info that it will probably take me 2 weeks to (learn how to) efficient unwrap all those models efficiently into one big atlas map.

Unity have a bunch of plugin who do Atlas from existing textured object for you. Just take a look in Unity Asset Store.

Edited by Warsoul

10 hours ago, Warsoul said:

Nice Job ! Really great for Blender Only Workflow ! I suggest you to look at Zbrush Zmodeler ! Cost around 1000$ but it's really great ! Let me know if you wanna cooperate with me.

Unity have a bunch of plugin who do Atlas from existing textured object for you. Just take a look in Unity Asset Store.

thx man, I unwrapped everything long time ago so it's good, i'll hold on with detailing since it's a very time consuming stuff. For now I'm focusing on learning code and will get back to texturing while functionality is done. Also many thanks for help offer although I really need to finish this myself so I can finally learn how to do it;)

3 hours ago, Warsoul said:

>>Zbrush

K bro.

some progress with harvester code

UmN6fgH.png

higher ground hardness = lower total regolith yield

total mining yield = regolith + rocky regolith

higher regolith concentration = more regolith and less rocky regolith in total yield

basically regolith = sand fine particles, rocky regolith = small rock chunks and particles that need to be crushed into regolith or throwed away before further processing.

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update, still working on code, polished a bit animation and particles stuff, then 2 quite difficult things remain for me:

- fix stock resource system to enable depletion

- introduce different types of regolith via converters to avoid resource clutter (regolith instead of rich_regolith, standard_regolith, depleted_regolith etc.)

all in all i'm digging through stock stuff trying to understand this complicated system.

Another small update;

through various hacks of stock system I've got depletion mechanics to work. I'll still need to tweak algorithm to create more or less uniform node sizes somehow overcoming limitation of nodes created by latitude and longitude, however core depletion mechanics works. Haven't tested efficiency, so now I'm think I'll go with very small nodes - every latitudinal and longitutinal minute - in case of stock mun it is roughly 35 x 35m (or maybe double-triple that to 100x100m)

OHPI0Ci.png

Edited by riocrokite

update: code for depletion is ready for initial release,

now i'm focusing on redoing energy modules to feed that beast (as you need enormous quantities of thermal energy to get volatiles / o2 / anything else from regolith). so far models look ugly so will need to work a bit on that.

Basically you'll need to have one gigantic semi-stationary solar concentrator to send energy to mobile miner smaller concentrator so it gets about 12.3MW of thermal energy to heat large quantities of regolith efficiently.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.