[1.3 - 1.2.2] Collision FX v4.0 (2017-03-09) Now with biome coloured dust!

pizzaoverhead

20 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

The latest release isn't on CF (is it still uploading?).

Also btw in the OP changelog it gives the V4 release date as 2016-03-09.

Thanks, fixed.

Collision FX v4.0    7.21 MB     1 hour ago     1.2.2 +2     0     Under Review

Heh, sounds like someone at CurseForge is having the first bit of fun. It normally doesn't take long, probably within the hour.

Edit: GitHub release now available

Edited by pizzaoverhead

Will this mod work with mods that change the solar system and therefore have totally different biomes? ie Galileo's Planet Pack, RSS, Alternis Kerbol etc...

Thank you, love this mod, just hoping I can use it with my current modset.

11 hours ago, kerrigan778 said:

Will this mod work with mods that change the solar system and therefore have totally different biomes? ie Galileo's Planet Pack, RSS, Alternis Kerbol etc...

Thank you, love this mod, just hoping I can use it with my current modset.

Yes, it'll work fine. The dust trails will default to grey for bodies that don't have colours defined, but you can easily add the correct colours into the cfg file.

3 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Yes, it'll work fine. The dust trails will default to grey for bodies that don't have colours defined, but you can easily add the correct colours into the cfg file.

I will have to add an mm cfg for this now as well :) 

i have a question though, if I wanted to create dust kicked up from rover wheels, is that possible? I assume you have the wheels disabled some how so that they aren't constantly "colliding" with the ground. Can I change that? If so can I use the available particles or would you reccomend a new particle effect?

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

How would you do that? I tried doing that for OPM bodies, but it didn't work (neither adding them into the main cfg or adding a separate cfg to the main OPM folder). Does it require a MM patch (and, if so, what would it look like)?

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

I will have to add an mm cfg for this now as well :) 

i have a question though, if I wanted to create dust kicked up from rover wheels, is that possible? I assume you have the wheels disabled some how so that they aren't constantly "colliding" with the ground. Can I change that? If so can I use the available particles or would you reccomend a new particle effect?

2 hours ago, voicey99 said:

How would you do that? I tried doing that for OPM bodies, but it didn't work (neither adding them into the main cfg or adding a separate cfg to the main OPM folder). Does it require a MM patch (and, if so, what would it look like)?

At the moment, all new definitions have to go into settings.cfg. In future it could be made to load up any cfg in a set directory or similar. What has worked best for you with other mods?

Here's what the definitions would look like:

BodyDust
{
	name = Gael
	Biomes
	{
		EucriaShores = 0 0 0 0
		Highlands = 0 0 0 0
		IceCaps = 0 0 0 0
		Lowlands = 0 0 0 0
		Midlands = 0 0 0 0
		MinorShores = 0 0 0 0
		Mountains = 0 0 0 0
		PligiaShores = 0 0 0 0
		Reefs = 0 0 0 0
		Tundra = 0 0 0 0
		UakoraShores = 0 0 0 0
		Volcano = 0 0 0 0
		Midlands = 0 0 0 0
		EucriaShores = 0 0 0 0
		InlandWater = 0 0 0 0
		MinorShores = 0 0 0 0
		PligiaShores = 0 0 0 0
		Reefs = 0 0 0 0
		UakoraShores = 0 0 0 0
		Water = 0 0 0 0
	}
}

BodyDust
{
	name = Ceti
	Biomes
	{
		Highlands = 0 0 0 0
		Lowlands = 0 0 0 0
		Midlands = 0 0 0 0
		Plateaus = 0 0 0 0
		Poles = 0 0 0 0
	}
}
BodyDust
{
	name = Iota
	Biomes
	{
		Droops = 0 0 0 0
		Highlands = 0 0 0 0
		Lowlands = 0 0 0 0
		Midlands = 0 0 0 0
		Skids = 0 0 0 0
	}
}

The values are Red, Green Blue and Alpha (opacity), and can be specified in either decimals 0 - 1 or values from 0 to 255. For example, lime green would be "1  0.5  0  1" or "255  127  0  255", depending on whichever is easier for your workflow.

Edited by pizzaoverhead

38 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

At the moment, all new definitions have to go into settings.cfg. In future it could be made to load up any cfg in a set directory or similar. What has worked best for you with other mods?

<schnip>

The values are Red, Green Blue and Alpha (opacity), and can be specified in either decimals 0 - 1 or values from 0 to 255. For example, lime green would be "1  0.5  0  1" or "255  127  0  255", depending on whichever is easier for your workflow.

I already have the cfg extension written out with all the values in decimal RGB-I'll test it out as soon as I get a gamebreaking planet-renaming bug fixed as last time I tried it it didn't work, though that was before it got updated.

18 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

<schnip>

Actually, I found why the dusts weren't working-they only show up on bodies with atmospheres (why non-atmospheric bodies have dust colours defined I don't know). As such, my extended config works perfectly-if anyone wants to use it, it's here.

Edited by voicey99

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

[...] does this support the new KSPWheel mod, which includes KerbalFounderies and Adjustable Landing Gear?

18 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Afaik KSPWheel does their own dust stuff without collision fx

I've tried this with KF and I usually wind up with perpetual collision sounds and/or effects if anything happens to the wheels (the ALG ones specifically; haven't tried any others yet.) So I think there's some incompatibility between the two. I wound up removing this mod for the time being. (KF with ALG is far more useful.) I am considering making a personal patch to make it exclude anything using KSPWheel though to see if it helps. (This is just an effects module added to a part, no?)

I had similar issues with this combo. I observed the ALG wheels would continue to glow after landing while Collision Effects was installed. I ended up abandoning that install for other reasons so I never unraveled that mystery.

57 minutes ago, StahnAileron said:

I've tried this with KF and I usually wind up with perpetual collision sounds and/or effects if anything happens to the wheels (the ALG ones specifically; haven't tried any others yet.) So I think there's some incompatibility between the two. I wound up removing this mod for the time being. (KF with ALG is far more useful.) I am considering making a personal patch to make it exclude anything using KSPWheel though to see if it helps. (This is just an effects module added to a part, no?)

Could you post the patch when you have it done?

10 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

This would probably do it, replace line 29 in the ModuleManager_CollisionFX.cfg with this:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleWheelBase],!MODULE[KerbalEVA],!MODULE[CollisionFX],!MODULE[FSwheel],!MODULE[FSwheelAlignment],!MODULE[BDAdjustableLandingGear],!MODULE[TTModularWheel],!MODULE[Repulsor],!MODULE[ModuleTrack],!MODULE[TrackWheel],!MODULE[KFModuleWheel],!MODULE[KFWheel],!MODULE[KFTrackSurface],!MODULE[KSPWheelBase],!MODULE[KSPWheelAdjustableGear],!MODULE[KSPWheelSteering],!MODULE[KSPWheelMotor],!MODULE[KSPWheelBrakes],!MODULE[KSPWheelDamage],!MODULE[KSPWheelDustEffects],!MODULE[KSPWheelSounds],!MODULE[KSPWheelConstraints]]

20 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This would probably do it, replace line 29 in the ModuleManager_CollisionFX.cfg with this:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleWheelBase],!MODULE[KerbalEVA],!MODULE[CollisionFX],!MODULE[FSwheel],!MODULE[FSwheelAlignment],!MODULE[BDAdjustableLandingGear],!MODULE[TTModularWheel],!MODULE[Repulsor],!MODULE[ModuleTrack],!MODULE[TrackWheel],!MODULE[KFModuleWheel],!MODULE[KFWheel],!MODULE[KFTrackSurface],!MODULE[KSPWheelBase],!MODULE[KSPWheelAdjustableGear],!MODULE[KSPWheelSteering],!MODULE[KSPWheelMotor],!MODULE[KSPWheelBrakes],!MODULE[KSPWheelDamage],!MODULE[KSPWheelDustEffects],!MODULE[KSPWheelSounds],!MODULE[KSPWheelConstraints]]

@pizzaoverhead

Two things.

First, the patch have here will prevent this from being attached to anything with KSPWheel, apparently it already does this and there is some sort of incompatibility there.

Second, is it ok to add this back to CKAN?

Thanks

It didn't work, I may have installed it incorrectly but it is just as simple as dragging the collision fx folder into GameData right? No dependencies or other folders that need dragging in? 

It just didn't work for me, is it possible its incompatible with OS X?

6 hours ago, Matchlight said:

It didn't work, I may have installed it incorrectly but it is just as simple as dragging the collision fx folder into GameData right? No dependencies or other folders that need dragging in? 

It just didn't work for me, is it possible its incompatible with OS X?

It is fully compatible with macOS Sierra, as that is what I am using right now. Very few mods are incompatible with certain OSes, and the ones that are usually require an external application, require certain hardware and/or graphics capabilities, like Scatterer, or make significant changes to how the game runs, like Principia, which completely replaces KSP's physics. So, yes, you likely installed it incorrectly. Double click on "CollisionFXv4.0.zip", and open the extracted folder. Open the GameData folder inside and select the "CollisionFX" folder, and copy it (press ⌘C). Then go to your KSP folder, open the GameData folder inside, and paste (press ⌘V). Now boot up KSP!

1 hour ago, hieywiey said:

It is fully compatible with macOS Sierra, as that is what I am using right now. Very few mods are incompatible with certain OSes, and the ones that are usually require an external application, require certain hardware and/or graphics capabilities, like Scatterer, or make significant changes to how the game runs, like Principia, which completely replaces KSP's physics. So, yes, you likely installed it incorrectly. Double click on "CollisionFXv4.0.zip", and open the extracted folder. Open the GameData folder inside and select the "CollisionFX" folder, and copy it (press ⌘C). Then go to your KSP folder, open the GameData folder inside, and paste (press ⌘V). Now boot up KSP!

Thats exactly what I did!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.