Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

On 12/13/2015 at 3:36 AM, Nowater said:

How do you get EV3 Clipper in Orbit?

regards

Mike

In pieces.  You will need to assemble it in orbit using the craft files provided on the first page:

Launch 1: EV-3 Lab
Launches 2 & 3: NTR Type B

Launches 4, 5 & 6: NTR Type A
Launch 7: LV-4A 'Armadillo'

Edited by Raptor9

1 minute ago, The Optimist said:

How do you have your craft in the SPH?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  If you're asking how to install them, simply put the craft files in your own SPH folder inside your savegame folder.

2 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

I'm not sure I understand the question.  If you're asking how to install them, simply put the craft files in your own SPH folder inside your savegame folder.

No, I meant how you display them like that on the first page.

18 hours ago, Shantaboy said:

Huge fan, any chance we could get a large /ships folder. Would make installing all of these a lot easier. Or something on CKAN.

How about two .zip/.rar archives?... One for SPH, one for VAB?.... I know "I" just spent almost half an hour downloading them one-by-one, and "lost" my place several times... lol
Maybe even include documentation (ie the awesome renders), and the flight instructions/actiongroup lists in the archives?

15 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Maybe even include documentation (ie the awesome renders), and the flight instructions/actiongroup lists in the archives?

To be honest, I never expected anybody to download everything. :)  The only documentation needed is what is included in the "brochure" renders, which have the necessary description and captions of what the craft is intended for, along with the action groups.  These descriptions and action groups are pulled straight from the description box in the VAB/SPH, so you can review them in game if needed.  Further, each expandable spoiler area on the first page that has an Engineer's Notes will have a list of any additional pertinent details the player should be aware of.

Edited by Raptor9

40 minutes ago, JWOC said:

what is the plane at 1:39 in your raptor Aerospace video 

It's a passenger transport I was working on at the time of this video recording.  I haven't published it because I can't get the performance to my liking.

Edited by Raptor9

• 2 weeks later...

It will probably be the SVR-23.  I'm still not satisfied with the lifter configuration throughout the ascent profile, and I still don't have any performance or payload testing done.  No timeline on when it will be released unfortunately, I just got back from holiday travels.  It's the one on the right (the other being a prototype for the SR-19A):

SR-19%20amp%20SVR-20%20Preview_zpshs7s72

Edited by Raptor9

First craft file updates of 2016.  The first of the two updates is the EV-1C.  For those familiar with the EV-1A and EV-1B, which were influenced by NASA's Mercury and Gemini programs, the EV-1C takes it one step further.  It's modeled after the US Air Force's MOL (Manned Orbiting Laboratory) concept of the 1960's.  This program never became operational, but if you want to know more about it, you can check out Amy Shira Teitel's VIDEO from her Vintage Space series on Youtube.  I recommend subscribing to the Vintage Space series since it provides a lot of interesting and useful information about aerospace programs that usually aren't well known or heard about.     

The second update is my first subassembly I've ever posted.  Ever since creating my SVR-16 shuttle derivative, I've been trying to figure out how the best way would be to construct my International Space Station analogue without a RMS (Remoter Manipulator System) robotic arm.  I could just undock the modules and redock with the shuttle, and then maneuver the shuttle around to attach the payload where it needs to go, but that is cumbersome and wasteful on the RCS.  Not to mention that at some point during the construction, the shuttle can't get positioned properly without smacking another part of the station with it's wings or vertical tail.

So, my best solution was to create a small, single-Kerbal craft.  It's just big enough to mount a small docking port and sufficient monopropellant reserves for moving station modules around, but small enough to fit almost anywhere, to include a shuttle bay already occupied by a reasonably large payload.  Plus, with its basic set of science equipment and a comms antenna, it can also be adapted for various low/zero-G missions, making it quite versatile in its application.  Not to mention making the backside of the docking port into an instrument panel provides a well-needed aesthetic improvement over such a compact craft.

Both are available for download via KerbalX links on the first page.  Happy station building :)

Edited by Raptor9

8 hours ago, chadgaskerman said:

what's the jet at 3:09

it looks like the lost art of the VTOL SSTO

Yeah, it was a fully-functional VTOL SSTO spaceplane...in 0.90.  I had an earlier Raptor Aerospace video filmed with SPH craft files in 0.90, which included that particular VTOL spaceplane as well as a cargo VTOL spaceplane using Mk3 parts (a screenshot of which is posted on the first page of this thread midway down).  I decided to leave those particular shots in the new video because they were really good, and it was the best spaceplane design I had ever produced, the crown jewel of my SPH fleet at that time.

These weren't quite ideal for Kerbin use; they could barely make circular orbit.  The cargo spaceplane needed an internal aux tank for more delta-V.  But they were intended as personnel and cargo shuttles to and from the surface of Laythe, which worked wonderfully since there were obviously no runways.  Unfortunately, these designs are now defunct with all the changes since 0.90.  Having said that, I wouldn't go back to the pre-1.0.x aerodynamics, I'm satisfied with all the changes made to the game since; aero or otherwise.  I just hope that Squad (or Porkjet) generates some dedicated VTOL parts in the future so we can revive some of our early projects.  For the time being, I'm still re-learning SSTO spaceplanes, but that's part of the fun of this game IMO.

EDIT: In other news, I've updated my X-13 (F-35 derivative) for better performance.  Overall the craft looks better; ever so slightly faster, more fuel giving it a huge increase in range/endurance, and thrust-vectoring disengaged due to the improved airfoil performance (don't worry, it still turns insanely :))

Edited by Raptor9

Next round of craft file uploads is the SVR-23 'Raven'.  It's way more economical than the SVR-16 'Ranger', about 40% the cost.  It can't build space stations like the 'Ranger' can, but it provides a more focused design strategy per different spaceplane model.  The A-model can be used for placing (or retrieving) small satellites in LKO, perform quick science experiments by transporting a materials bay and other sensors to orbit, or provide small equipment payloads to space stations already in orbit.  In contrast, the B-model is strictly a crew-carrying variant, with a six-Kerbal capacity.  The only other spacecraft with six seats is the SR-19B, but as an SSTO the SR-19 can't achieve as high of an orbital altitude as the SVR-23 (without refueling in orbit of course).  You could also place some crew cabins in the SVR-16 cargo bay, but that's a comparatively expensive way to ferry crews to orbit.   

SVR-16 Launch Cost (minus payload): 204,544 funds (return of 114,999 for the orbiter at the KSC runway, not including any remaining fuel)
SVR-23A Launch Cost (minus payload): 80,682 funds (return of 26,760 for the orbiter at the KSC runway, not including any remaining fuel)
SVR-23B Launch Cost: 84,418 funds (return of 30,496 for the orbiter at the KSC runway, not including any remaining fuel)
Actual expenditures: SVR-16 89,545 funds vs SVR-20A/B 53,922 funds
Even if you take into account the funds return from the recovery of the spaceplane itself, it's still cheaper :)

Edited by Raptor9

On 1/1/2016 at 8:19 PM, Raptor9 said:

The second update is my first subassembly I've ever posted.  Ever since creating my SVR-16 shuttle derivative, I've been trying to figure out how the best way would be to construct my International Space Station analogue without a RMS (Remoter Manipulator System) robotic arm.  I could just undock the modules and redock with the shuttle, and then maneuver the shuttle around to attach the payload where it needs to go, but that is cumbersome and wasteful on the RCS.  Not to mention that at some point during the construction, the shuttle can't get positioned properly without smacking another part of the station with it's wings or vertical tail.

So, my best solution was to create a small, single-Kerbal craft.  It's just big enough to mount a small docking port and sufficient monopropellant reserves for moving station modules around, but small enough to fit almost anywhere, to include a shuttle bay already occupied by a reasonably large payload.  Plus, with its basic set of science equipment and a comms antenna, it can also be adapted for various low/zero-G missions, making it quite versatile in its application.  Not to mention making the backside of the docking port into an instrument panel provides a well-needed aesthetic improvement over such a compact craft.

Both are available for download via KerbalX links on the first page.  Happy station building :)

Sweet MMU! These things are a blast. I didn't tell you by message, but you are continuing a fine tradition of re-inventing an actual NASA thing. I've seen it come up a good few times over the years, most of the time independently! Clearly there is something here, and berthing is the future. Mayhaps a tad too heavy in parts, since its main job is to save on parts on station builds, but hey, that instrument panel does look cool. I do think I hold the record for smallest, so it may be a bit of shameless advertising on my part...

393n33Y.png

Rune. If so, it's totally unintentional! ;)