Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

I have been using the Seahawk extensively these last few days....  LOVE IT!!!!  Basically any time I try to land a shuttle from a >10 degree inclined orbit.... :)  So far, 3 rescue missions and no fatalities!  I did alter the position of the main landing gear though....  I am still having trouble doing a vertical landing, so I end up trying to land like a regular plane, and smucking up the gear ....  I'll post a screenshot the next time I am in KSP.

4 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Any Methods to download all the crafts at once?

This has been something that has been requested many times, and I had plans this spring after getting back from a business trip to set up such a method, via dropbox or google drive or something.  However during the setup I realized that if I did this, it would negate even having KerbalX links in this thread all together, since most users would undoubtedly download the single zip file and then remove whatever craft files they did not want.

As a supporter of @katateochi's KerbalX website, this presents a bit of a conflict of interest for me.  Not a legal one, but a bit of a kick in the nuts sort of thing.  So I've decided against setting up a single download, or a series of categorized downloads.  I would also like to respectively request that in the future no one post my craft files for download outside of reposting KerbalX links to the same.  I hope anybody reading this understands my reasons and respects them. :)

2 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

This has been something that has been requested many times, and I had plans this spring after getting back from a business trip to set up such a method, via dropbox or google drive or something.  However during the setup I realized that if I did this, it would negate even having KerbalX links in this thread all together, since most users would undoubtedly download the single zip file and then remove whatever craft files they did not want.

As a supporter of @katateochi's KerbalX website, this presents a bit of a conflict of interest for me.  Not a legal one, but a bit of a kick in the nuts sort of thing.  So I've decided against setting up a single download, or a series of categorized downloads.  I would also like to respectively request that in the future no one post my craft files for download outside of reposting KerbalX links to the same.  I hope anybody reading this understands my reasons and respects them. :)

Ah. Legal reasons. I agree. 

10 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

As a supporter of @katateochi's KerbalX website, this presents a bit of a conflict of interest for me. [snip] So I've decided against setting up a single download, or a series of categorized downloads.

Why not have the best of both worlds - lobby @katateochi to make a 'download all of this user's crafts' option! :D

Edited by Woopert

13 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

3 hours ago, Woopert said:

Why not have the best of both worlds - lobby @katateochi to make a 'download all of this user's crafts' option! :D

@Raptor9 you are one of the most active uploaders and I really appreciate your support of KerbalX! So yes, consider me lobbied! I will add a bulk-zipped download feature, probably to craft hangars, rather than a 'download all users craft' option.  In the past there have been people (bots?) who've tried to scrape content off the site and set up "mirror" hosts of the craft, and so I've put up methods to make script downloading difficult (without having to have annoying recaptcha checks), so I want to make sure a bulk zip download option doesn't make it easy for those who just want to hoover up all the craft and re-host them (this might involve having a recaptcha). 

I'm away for the first half of this week, but should have some time after wed to start adding this, so maybe by next weekend there'll be something.  I really appreciate your decision to keep the downloads through KerbalX and not setup an alternative bulk download option, so I hope adding a bulk zip-download for craft hangars will meet your requirements.

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

@Raptor9 you are one of the most active uploaders and I really appreciate your support of KerbalX! So yes, consider me lobbied! I will add a bulk-zipped download feature, probably to craft hangars, rather than a 'download all users craft' option.  In the past there have been people (bots?) who've tried to scrape content off the site and set up "mirror" hosts of the craft, and so I've put up methods to make script downloading difficult (without having to have annoying recaptcha checks), so I want to make sure a bulk zip download option doesn't make it easy for those who just want to hoover up all the craft and re-host them (this might involve having a recaptcha). 

I'm away for the first half of this week, but should have some time after wed to start adding this, so maybe by next weekend there'll be something.  I really appreciate your decision to keep the downloads through KerbalX and not setup an alternative bulk download option, so I hope adding a bulk zip-download for craft hangars will meet your requirements.

His won't be the only requirements met, good idea all around! :)

Rune. Ain't feedback cool?

4 hours ago, katateochi said:

I will add a bulk-zipped download feature, probably to craft hangars, rather than a 'download all users craft' option.

That sounds awesome, thank you.  :) I know a lot of players will appreciate it, and not just the ones that use this thread.  I'm sure doing a couple captchas will probably still be faster than clicking away at dozens of download buttons.

4 hours ago, redmonddkgamer said:

Can we get optimal cruise altitudes and speeds for some of the aircraft?

That would require a ridiculous amount of flight testing to determine, which I don't want to do.

Converting an SM-H2(A) into a 8-way shuttle hub, now labeled SM-H4(SH-8S) (pronounced "shades"). I took inspiration from @Raptor9's designs to build some sort of "end-part" for space stations of all sizes and designs to accept up to 8 small shuttles or escape pods equipped with junior docking ports. I removed the side-mounted regular docking port to keep the airlock capability for the module. In the picture you can see the Kerbin Shuttle which is the work horse in crew transport between LKO and it's satellites. The second docked craft is the Duna Shuttle which has enough Delta V to reach Low Duna Orbit without the need to aerobreak. Both shuttles are of the same principal design with only the fuel tanks varying in lenght and size. The small cargo bay holds two SP-L 1x6 solar panels, a rechargeable Z-400 battery, additional 80 units of monopropellant if complex docking maneuvers are required plus a backup OKTO2 probe core in case the pilot is incapacitated or none available at all.

Once you have your space stations and fuel mining operations set up at Mün and Minmus I found those small shuttles to be perfect for crew training as it is probably the cheapest way since all you pay for is the launch towards the LKO gateway (not shown). I'm now testing different distribution methods of the shuttles themselves. Either by single launch atop Javelin rockets or in pair of 3s atop Thunder or Lightning rockets. Again, thank you @Raptor9 for your work and inspiration.

sm-h4sh-8s.jpg

Edited by Jester Darrak

I know this is probably asked a lot, but how do you add words to your blueprints? (You should have an FAQ section). I'm trying to make my own using KVV but I don't know what other software to use

17 hours ago, Skylon said:

I know this is probably asked a lot, but how do you add words to your blueprints? (You should have an FAQ section). I'm trying to make my own using KVV but I don't know what other software to use

I use Microsoft Paint for all the editing.  It's not fancy by any measure, but it works.  An FAQ section is a good idea, I'll add that this weekend. :)

In other news, for those of you not aware of the recent update to the KerbalX site, there is now a bulk download option for all craft that are within a hanger.  Below is a quote from the KerbalX thread:

On 4/30/2017 at 5:23 AM, katateochi said:

Bulk downloads of hangars is now available.  On each hangar there is now a link to download all craft as a zip.  
If you are the first person to click that link since the hangar was last updated (name changed or craft added/removed/updated) then there will be a 10-20 second delay before the zip starts to download.  All subsequent requests for the zip will happen instantly (until the hangar is next updated).

There are a number of my craft already sorted into applicable hangers, like the EV-4 MEV component lifters, but quite a few are not.  This weekend I'll be coming up with a categorized hanger list on the KerbalX site, with links to each hanger on the thread OP.  

We'll see how it comes together, but it will take a little time to ensure all craft are appropriately categorized.  I appreciate everyone's patience, and please send some kudos @katateochi's way for his hard work.

EDIT: Categorized hangers have been set up on KerbalX, with associated links in this thread's OP.  Don't worry, I'll be adding an ALL CRAFT hanger download link soon, since I ended up setting up 18 categories for download. :P

Edited by Raptor9

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

Can you add reaction wheels to the craft because I used one of them to go to go to Duna and needed to turn on infinite fuel to rotate the craft and I don't want to use infinite fuel.

As a general rule, I consider the use of reaction wheels outside of station stabilization and small sats/probes as "cheaty" since KSP RW's are overpowered IMO.  Mind you, that is entirely my own subjective view.  I endeavor to include an abundance of monopropellant in ships like the EV-3, -4, and -5 for this very reason.

Specifically which craft were you using?

Edited by Raptor9

On 27.5.2017 at 3:30 AM, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

Can you add reaction wheels to the craft because I used one of them to go to go to Duna and needed to turn on infinite fuel to rotate the craft and I don't want to use infinite fuel. Thanks

Turning off SAS and making short RCS bursts saves a lot of RCS fuel but takes time and patience. Remember, those SAS buttons are primarily to actually hold an orientation, at least the way it is implemented. In a real rocket the RCS would just burn for a split-second to start the rotation and then burn again for a split-second to stop the rotation.

11 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

As a general rule, I consider the use of reaction wheels outside of station stabilization and small sats/probes as "cheaty" since KSP RW's are overpowered IMO.  Mind you, that is entirely my own subjective view.  I endeavor to include an abundance of monopropellant in ships like the EV-3, -4, and -5 for this very reason.

Specifically which craft were you using?

I did a small test with the EV-4 Mk3 fuel tank using the largest stock RW available on both ends and it really is op. Real RW's degrade even more the larger they are and the greater the mass they need to move because of friction. On smaller crafts (micro satellites) they are a valid option though.

Is there a way to get around the issue of struts disappearing when merging different crafts? When I try to merge a Thunder 4 with a Cricket the struts on either the Thunder 2P or the Cricket disappear, thus making it hard to keep the rocket itself stable.

11 hours ago, Jester Darrak said:

Is there a way to get around the issue of struts disappearing when merging different crafts? When I try to merge a Thunder 4 with a Cricket the struts on either the Thunder 2P or the Cricket disappear, thus making it hard to keep the rocket itself stable.

I'm afraid not, whenever I save a craft as a subassembly, I always need to "re-draw" the struts because they disappear.  Just one of those KSP-isms we have to live with AFAIK.  On a related note, when adjusting the endpoints of struts it plays havoc with the rest of the struts placed when using symmetry. :/

Can you add the fuel hub station you used for your CISmunar Space Economy display (the one you can see in the KerbalX PD-64 Camel download page)?

Also, there seems to be a weird issue with stuff that's inside cargo fairings. When moving to the launchpad either the payload or the second stage (if placed inside a fairing) kinda wobbles and collides with something. I think it has something to do with the struts, the cargo fairings or a/the combination of both. Latest confirmed issue was on the Pathfinder Titan-3P.

Edit: I seem to have this sorted out. Since 1.3 it looks like you need more struts to actually secure whatever payload you put inside the fairing. It took me 12 struts for both the satellite and the Titan-2P upper stage to make it not fall apart upon vessel unpacking. Weird...

Edited by Jester Darrak