Raptor9

Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Concepts & Solutions

634 posts in this topic

Video was filmed using KSP 1.0.5

Raptor%20Aerospace%20v2.0_zpsbqt07oxc.pn

LAST CRAFT FILE UPDATE: 28 February 10:30 EST     CHECK BACK FOR MORE CRAFT RELEASES

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1) Raptor Aerospace History, Description & Personal Notes
2) SPH Craft File Download Links
3) VAB Craft File Download Links
4) Subassembly Download Links
5) Categorized Bulk Download Links
6) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
7) Most recent update listings & future plans

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
I apologize for a lack of activity or updates in the past couple months.  I've been taking a break from KSP since April to avoid getting burned out.  I've still been toying around with KSP a little to try out new ideas or build techniques, but haven't done any major craft updates for 1.3.  As soon as 1.3.1 is released, I do plan to start updating some craft files with a priority going to the Rocket Market and other craft that have a lot of struts placed, like the HLV-5 and LV-2 lander series.  As most of you probably know, struts are a little buggy in 1.3.

HISTORY

Raptor Aerospace started out as just a showcase thread where I had around a dozen SPH aircraft posted as nothing more than screenshot eye-candy.  After some repeated requests that I post some of my craft for download, I set up a KerbalX account and started doing just that.  As my "fleet" of aircraft grew, I began to set up the naming conventions and look & feel of the thread as a Kerbal-verse technology developer.  I began to publish proper spacecraft on KerbalX and my download list grew some more.  By the time KSP v1.1 was released my craft file list on KerbalX passed 100.  The designs in this thread were not just thrown together to look cool.  They are meant to have practical KSP applications, and are thoroughly tested to ensure deficiencies in design are corrected before being published on KerbalX.  Although I've been playing KSP since v0.13, I am not perfect.  I continue to find small issues with my craft that I will update and republish. Some of these designs have been around for several years (ie, several versions of KSP). As new parts for KSP were developed and existing components refined, these concepts were updated or refined and then republished. Each has been flight-tested throughout multiple conditions, altitudes, airspeeds, fuel/payload amounts, etc. to find out where their limits are, and where they perform best. Although this started out being mainly focused on aircraft and spaceplanes, Raptor Aerospace now includes designs for all aspects of the game. 

SPH%20004%20Spaceplane%20Section_zpsweg9 

TODAY

This thread is a 3.0 version of my Raptor Aerospace showcase thread, which I started in November 2014 (KSP v0.25).  All of the craft here are built/designed within the stock aero model, and all are 100% stock.  While most of my designs are influenced by real-life aircraft, spacecraft, or concepts, they are not meant to be replicas.  The craft are built to imitate function over appearance.  If aesthetics can be implemented as well, that's a plus, but not to the extent it compromises functionality or significantly hinders performance or efficiency.  To browse for a craft file, expand the primary spoiler drop-downs (SPH, VAB, or Subassemblies) and then continue to work your way through the "catalog tree" until you find something you'd like.  Then click the hyperlink below that craft file image and it will redirect you to the appropriate KerbalX page to download that craft.

Personal Notes

I'd like to thank @katateochi for his administration and maintenance of the KerbalX website.  It's a user-friendly, fan-driven site that allows community members to exchange craft files for use, modded or stock.  If you're an avid user of the KerbalX site, please help support it by donating via links on the main KerbalX page.

For additional entertainment, here's some other videos I've produced:
KSP%20-%20Landing%20the%20Shuttle%20Thum     KSP%20-%20Red%20Planet%20Rivals%20Thumbn     KSP%20-%20The%20TV%20Show_zpstnpdjrfz.jp     ElonKermansReusableRocketNew_zps3b0ffee9     KSP%20-%20Take%20Flight%20Thumbnail_zps5
Landing the Shuttle | Red Planet Rivals | KSP - The TV Show | Elon Kerman's Reusable Rocket | Take Flight

Space Plane Hanger Section

SPH%201.0.5%20001%20BampW%20Cam%2002_zps

Spoiler

X-Planes

X-Planes%20Small_zpswhd5vinp.png

To keen observers, some obvious missing craft files in the X-Plane line-up is the X-10, X-16, X-19, and X-21.  In the case of the X-10 and X-16 these were simply prototypes of the SVR-10 and SVR-16 I used for glide tests.  The X-19 and X-21 were almost exactly the same as the mission-capable SR-19 and SR-21 SSTO spaceplanes.  For these reasons, I didn't feel it was necessary to publish additional KerbalX craft files for such similar designs.

Spoiler

X-1 Turbojet Engine Flight Test

Spoiler

X-1%20Turbojet%20Engine%20Flight%20Test%

X-1 Turbojet Engine Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Messerschmitt Me 262

X-2 Swept Wing Flight Test

Spoiler

X-2%20Swept%20Wing%20Flight%20Test%20Sma

X-2 Swept Wing Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: North American F-86/Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15

X-3 Delta Wing Flight Test

Spoiler

X-3%20Delta%20Wing%20Flight%20Test%20Sma

X-3 Delta Wing Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21

X-4 Basic Aerodynamics Flight Test

Spoiler

X-4%20Basic%20Aerodynamics%20Flight%20Te

X-4 Basic Aerodynamics Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Northrop F-5/T-38

X-5 High Speed Flight Test

Spoiler

X-5%20High%20Speed%20Flight%20Test%20Sma

X-5 High Speed Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: McDonnell Douglas (Boeing) F-15

X-6 Advanced Aerodynamics Flight Test

Spoiler

X-6%20Advanced%20Aerodynamics%20Flight%2

X-6 Advanced Aerodynamics Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: General Dynamics (Lockheed Martin) F-16

X-7 High AoA Flight Test

Spoiler

X-7%20High%20AoA%20Flight%20Test%20Small

X-7 High AoA Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Saab JAS 39 Gripen

X-8 High Altitude Flight Test

Spoiler

X-8%20High%20Altitude%20Flight%20Test%20

X-8 High Altitude Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Lockheed U-2

X-9 Supersonic Flight Test

Spoiler

X-9%20Supersonic%20Flight%20Test%20Small

X-9 Supersonic Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Lockheed SR-71

X-11 Blended Fuselage-Wing Flight Test

Spoiler

X-12 Super-Maneuverability Flight Test

Spoiler

X-12%20Super-Maneuverability%20Flight%20

X-12 Super-Maneuverability Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Lockheed Martin YF-22

X-13 Advanced Maneuverability Flight Test

Spoiler

X-13%20Advanced%20Maneuverability%20Flig

X-13 Advanced Maneuverability Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Lockheed Martin F-35

X-14 Unmanned Flight Test

Spoiler

X-14%20Unmanned%20Flight%20Test%20Small_

X-14 Unmanned Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: General Atomics MQ-9

X-15 Supersonic Propulsion Flight Test

Spoiler

X-15%20Supersonic%20Propulsion%20Flight%

Engineer's Notes:
1)purposely avoided mounting any parts to the yellow-highlighted areas of this craft. This allows very quick part swaps for different payloads or engine/fuel tank combinations.  When changing out components, be mindful of where the Center-of-Mass is in relation to the main landing gear. You may need to slide the main landing gear forward or back to maintain proper relative positioning (ie, just aft of the Center-of-Mass marker).  Also, if you do swap out engine/fuel tank assemblies, you should consider re-strutting the aft portion of the wings to the new fuel tanks.

X-15 Supersonic Propulsion Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: North American XF-108 (Cancelled)

X-17 Forward-Swept Wing Flight Test

Spoiler

X-17%20Forward-Swept%20Wing%20Flight%20T

X-17 Forward Swept Wing Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Sukhoi Su-47

X-18 High Supersonic Flight Test

Spoiler

X-18%20High%20Supersonic%20Flight%20Test

Engineer's Notes:
1) WARNING: Disengaging SAS or attempting maneuvers at high speeds may result in loss of aircraft control, component damage, or in-flight airframe disintegration.  Use trim or gentle control inputs to alter course...or slow down.

X-18 High Supersonic Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Lockheed Martin SR-72 (Concept)

X-20 Vertical Takeoff Flight Test

Spoiler

X-20%20Vertical%20Takeoff%20Flight%20Tes

Engineer's Notes:
1) The X-20 is only partially-loaded with fuel.  If you top off the tanks, you will need to do a short takeoff roll to get in the air until you burn off more fuel.

X-20 Vertical Takeoff Flight Test KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Yakovlev Yak-38

Kerbal Space Agency Fleet

KSA%20Fleet%20Small_zpseappnint.png

Spoiler

T-4 'Skyhawk' Kerbalnaut training aircraft

Spoiler

T-4%20Skyhawk%20Small_zpsohtzitsn.png

T-4 'Skyhawk' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Northrop F-5/T-38

WR-8 'Condor' weather research aircraft

Spoiler

WR-8%20Condor%20Small_zpsi0crzcef.png

WR-8 'Condor' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Lockheed ER-2

SR-9 'Banshee' Kerbalnaut training aircraft

Spoiler

SR-9%20Banshee%20Small_zpsc3kvt4at.png

SR-9 'Banshee' KerbalX Download

SR-19A 'Valkyrie' SSTO spaceplane

Spoiler

SR-19A%20Valkyrie%20Small_zpsniwvsscv.pn

SR-19A 'Valkyrie' KerbalX Download

SR-21A/SR-21B 'Phoenix' SSTO spaceplane
Spoiler

SR-21A%20Phoenix%20Small_zpsqxwbnmtm.png

SR-21A 'Phoenix' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Lockheed SR-71

SR-21B%20Phoenix%20Small_zpskkbrupvg.png

SR-21B 'Phoenix' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Lockheed SR-71

C7 Aerospace-series:

C7-series%20Small_zps4aapwlna.png

Spoiler

C7 100 'Falcon' personnel transport

Spoiler

C7%20100%20Falcon%20Small_zpswj66ldv3.pn

C7 100 'Falcon' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: 

C7 140 'Kestrel' vertical takeoff personnel transport

Spoiler

C7%20140%20Kestrel%20Small_zpsh1panmft.p

C7 140 'Kestrel' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Bell/Lockheed V-280 & AgustaWestland AW609

C7 142 'Seahawk' vertical takeoff search & rescue

Spoiler

C7%20142%20Seahawk%20Small_zpsesdfklnk.p

C7 142 'Seahawk' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Bell/Lockheed V-280

C7 200 'Albatross' high-speed transport

Spoiler

C7%20200%20Albatross%20Small_zps51wq1xh9

C7 200 'Abatross' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Agent Garrett's plane from MARVEL's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1

C7 300 'Strato-Soar' heavy personnel transport

Spoiler

C7%20300%20Strato-Soar%20Small_zpsilgqwr

C7 300 'Strato-Soar' heavy personnel transport
Real-life influence: Airbus A300

C7 310 'Tri-Soar' heavy personnel transport

Spoiler

C7%20310%20Tri-Soar%20Small_zpse437wybr.

C7 310 'Tri-Soar' heavy personnel transport
Real-life influence: Tony Stark's personal plane from Iron Man

C7 320 'Atlas' heavy cargo transport

Spoiler

C7%20320%20Atlas%20Small_zpsrpaxxw9g.png

C7 320 'Atlas' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: McDonnell Douglas (Boeing) C-17

C7 325R 'Atlas' airborne research laboratory

Spoiler

C7%20325R%20Atlas%20Small_zpsu1jfbwvq.pn

Engineer's Notes:
1) Your Kerbals need to stay in their seats while in flight; whether that be in the passenger cabin or seated at there workstations.

C7 325R 'Atlas' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: The modified C-17 "The Bus" from MARVEL's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 & 2

Vehicle Assembly Building Section

VAB%201.0.5%20001%20BampW%20Cam%2005_zps

Spoiler

Exploration Vehicles (EV)

Exploration%20Vehicles%20Small_zpsu8jip8

Spoiler

EV-1A 'Skiff' suborbital capsule (Arrow)

Spoiler

EV-1A%20Skiff-Arrow%20Small_zpsq26m7jdb.

EV-1A 'Skiff'-Arrow KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Mercury/Redstone

EV-1B 'Skiff' orbital capsule (Javelin 3)

Spoiler

EV-1B%20Skiff-Javelin%203%20Small_zpstkp

EV-1B 'Skiff'-Javelin 3 KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Mercury & Gemini programs

EV-1B 'Skiff' orbital capsule (Javelin 4)

Spoiler

EV-1B%20Skiff-Javelin%204%20Small_zps24x

EV-1B 'Skiff'-Javelin 4 KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Proposed extended Gemini program for lunar exploration

EV-1C 'Skiff' orbital research capsule (Thunder 1)

Spoiler

EV-1C%20Skiff-Thunder%201%20Small_zps2nu

EV-1C 'Skiff'-Thunder 1 KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: US Air Force Manned Orbiting Laboratory program (Cancelled) from the 1960's

EV-1D 'Skiff' orbital capsule (Thunder 1)

Spoiler

EV-1D%20Skiff-Thunder%201%20Small_zps3hn

Engineer's Notes:
1) The first time [G] is pressed to lower the gear, the side panels on the lander stage will jettison away.

EV-1D 'Skiff'-Thunder 1 KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Proposed extended Gemini program for lunar exploration

EV-2A 'Runabout' crew vehicle (Thunder 1)

Spoiler

EV-2A%20Runabout-Thunder%201%20Small_zps

Engineer's Notes:
1) Prior to reentry, after jettisoning the service module, switch on the capsule's battery, open the monopropellant fuel valve, and select [2] on the action groups to power-on the EV-2A command module's reentry RCS thrusters.

EV-2A 'Runabout'-Thunder 1 KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Apollo program

EV-2A 'Runabout' crew vehicle (Titan 1)

Spoiler

EV-2A%20Runabout-Titan%201%20Small_zpsur

Engineer's Notes:
1) Prior to reentry, after jettisoning the service module, switch on the capsule's battery, open the monopropellant fuel valve, and select [2] on the action groups to power-on the EV-2A command module's reentry RCS thrusters.

EV-2A 'Runabout'-Titan 1 KerbalX Download

EV-2A 'Runabout' crew vehicle & LV-1 'Frog' Mun lander (Titan 5)

Spoiler

EV-2A%20Runabout-Titan%205%20LV-1A%20Sma

Engineer's Notes:
1) Always ensure your Kerbal's are in the Mk1-2 capsule seats and not in the Mk2 lander can prior to launch
2) Prior to reentry, after jettisoning the service module, switch on the capsule's battery, open the monopropellant fuel valve, and select [2] on the action groups to power-on the EV-2A command module's reentry RCS thrusters.
3) After the Mun transfer burn, when you jettison the upper stage, thrust away using the EV-2A's RCS; select [1] and [4] on your action groups to start the service module's fuel cells and deploy the HG-5 comms antenna.
4) After undocking the lander in Munar orbit, select [2] on the action groups to power on the RCS thrusters.

EV-2A 'Runabout'-Titan 5 (LV-1A) KerbalX Download

EV-2A%20Runabout-Titan%205%20LV-1B%20Sma

Engineer's Notes:
1) Always ensure your Kerbal's are in the Mk1-2 capsule seats and not in the Mk2 lander can prior to launch
2) Prior to reentry, after jettisoning the service module, switch on the capsule's battery, open the monopropellant fuel valve, and select [2] on the action groups to power-on the EV-2A command module's reentry RCS thrusters.
3) After the Mun transfer burn, when you jettison the upper stage, thrust away using the EV-2A's RCS; select [1] and [4] on your action groups to start the service module's fuel cells and deploy the DTS-M1 comms antenna.
4) After undocking the lander in Munar orbit, select [2] on the action groups to power on the RCS thrusters.
5) Decoupling the ER-1 from inside the LV-1 storage bay is a little dicey, be careful about allowing it to tumble as it slides out. Recommend having a Kerbal ready to block or push it as it lands on the Munar surface :P

EV-2A 'Runabout'-Titan 5 (LV-1B) KerbalX Download

EV-2B 'Runabout' crew vehicle (Thunder 1)

Spoiler

EV-2B%20Runabout%20Small_zpslwz8nefq.png

EV-2B 'Runabout'-Thunder 1 KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Boeing CST-100 'Starliner'

EV-2C 'Runabout' crew vehicle (Thunder 1B)

Spoiler

EV-2C%20Runabout-Thunder%201B%20Small_zp

Engineer's Notes:
1) Prior to reentry, after jettisoning the service module, switch on the capsule's battery, open the monopropellant fuel valve, and select [9] on the action groups to power-on the EV-2C command module's reentry RCS thrusters.

EV-2C 'Runabout'-Thunder 1B KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Orion MPCV

EV-2C 'Runabout' crew vehicle (Titan 1P)

Spoiler

EV-2C%20Runabout-Titan%201P%20Small_zpsd

Engineer's Notes:
1) Prior to reentry, after jettisoning the service module, switch on the capsule's battery, open the monopropellant fuel valve, and select [9] on the action groups to power-on the EV-2C command module's reentry RCS thrusters.

EV-2C 'Runabout'-Titan 1P KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Orion MPCV, SLS Block 1 (with ICPS/Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage)

EV-2C 'Runabout' crew vehicle (Titan 3P)

Spoiler

EV-2C%20Runabout-Titan%203P%20Small_zps5

Engineer's Notes:

EV-2C 'Runabout'-Titan 3P KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Orion MPCV, SLS Block 1B crew (with EUS/Exploration Upper Stage)

EV-2C 'Runabout' crew vehicle & LV-2A 'Grasshopper' Minmus lander (Titan 3P)

Spoiler

EV-2C%20Runabout-Titan%203P%20LV-2A%20Sm

Engineer's Notes:

EV-2C 'Runabout'-Titan 3P (LV-2A) KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Orion MPCV, Boeing's Reusable Lunar Lander (Concept), SLS Block 1B crew (with EUS/Exploration Upper Stage)

EV-2C 'Runabout' crew vehicle & LV-2B 'Grasshopper' Mun lander (Titan 3P)

Spoiler

EV-2C%20Runabout-Titan%203P%20LV-2B%20Sm

Engineer's Notes:

EV-2C 'Runabout'-Titan 3P (LV-2B) KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Orion MPCV, Boeing's Reusable Lunar Lander (Concept), SLS Block 1B crew (with EUS/Exploration Upper Stage)

EV-3 'Clipper' exploration vehicle (Orbitally-assembled)

Spoiler

EV-3%20Clipper%20amp%20LV-4A%20Armadillo

Engineer's Notes:

1) IMPORTANT: When docking multiple NTR Type A stages together side-by-side, make sure you jettison end caps and fairings prior to assembly. Fairing jettison with multiple NTR nacelles docked together in this manner will result in less-than-Rapid Unplanned Disassembly, but disassembly nonetheless.
2) To read more about the IMIS 1968 study, look here and or download the original study itself here in PDF format.

EV-3 'Clipper' KerbalX Download
- Lifters required/recommended launch order: 1) EV-3 Hab+Lab 2/3) NTR Type B 4/5/6) NTR Type A 7) LV-4A 'Armadillo'
Real-life influence: Boeing Integrated Manned Interplanetary Spacecraft (IMIS) study of 1968

EV-3 Component Launchers:

EV-3 NTR Type A & Type B Assemblies (Thunder Heavy)

Spoiler

EV-3%20NTR%20Assemblies%20Small_zpsahox4

Engineer's Notes:
1) IMPORTANT: When docking multiple NTR Type A stages together side-by-side, make sure you jettison end caps and fairings prior to assembly. Fairing jettison with multiple NTR nacelles docked together in this manner will result in less-than-Rapid Unplanned Disassembly, but disassembly nonetheless.
2) When docking the NTR Type A stages together, ensure the stages are aligned as close as possible between the two docking ports.  If the second docking port is off slightly in alignment, it will still "dock" but may be slightly offset (KSP game allowance for multiple docking ports).  This may result in a rolling motion during 1st stage burns since the thrust vector is misaligned by a degree or two.  It's not a show-stopper, it will just eat through monopropellant at a higher rate to maintain attitude during 1st stage burns.
3) Each NTR stage is equipped with an RTG to provide continuous power to the probe core, ensuring nuclear power is the only power source for spacecraft functions.

EV-3 NTR Type A-Thunder Heavy KerbalX Download
EV-3 NTR Type B-Thunder Heavy KerbalX Download

EV-3 Habitation & Research Lab Module (Thunder 3)

Spoiler

EV-3%20HabLab-Thunder%203%20Small_zps6hi

Engineer's Notes:
1) This launch configuration doesn't have translation capability, so this component should be your first EV-3 module launched.  However, if it is not, you can get the Hab+Lab into the vicinity of the NTR stages, and then have the NTR's perform the docking maneuvers with their RCS systems, but it will cost monopropellant obviously.
2) One of the design goals of the EV-3 'Clipper' was to rely solely on the use of nuclear power.  To this end, the Hab+Lab module is equipped with six RTG's in the service bay.  These, along with a seventh RTG in the final NTR stage, are sufficient to power continuous research operations in the Processing Lab the entire way back to Kerbin.

EV-3 Hab+Lab (Thunder 3) KerbalX Download

LV-4A 'Armadillo' Duna lander (Thunder 4 Heavy)

Spoiler

LV-4A%20Armadillo%20Small_zpsygpgjriu.pn 

Engineer's Notes:
1) Before undocking the LV-4A from the EV-3, pan into the descent and ascent stages to ensure the monopropellant tanks are topped off.
2) After undocking the LV-4A in Duna orbit, press [2] in the action groups to enable the RCS thrusters.
3) After repacking the main chute on the ascent capsule, reset the Min Pressure to "0.4" and the Altitude setting to "800".  These are the settings used on the EV-2 crew capsules for Kerbin reentry and are well tested.
4) The most aggressive Kerbin atmo reentry I've ever done with the LV-4A capsule was just over 5,100m/s when passing 70km, with a 10km periapsis.  The heatshield itself almost overheated even before the ablator was half gone, but it held out long enough to burn almost all the ablator off (not to mention the Kerbals experienced a max G of 18.5
:P).  This is why I've limited the LV-4A capsule to 5,000m/s entry speed to provide a reasonable buffer.

LV-4A 'Armadillo'-Thunder 4 Heavy KerbalX Download

EV-4 'Longship' Modular Exploration Vehicle (Orbitally-assembled)

Spoiler

EV-4%20Longship%20Block%201%20Small_zpsl

EV-4 'Longship' Block 1 KerbalX Download
- Lifters required/recommended launch order: 1) NTR Assy Mk1 2) 'Saddle' Truss Assy 3) Hab+Lab Mk1

EV-4%20Longship%20Block%202%20Small_zpsg

EV-4 'Longship' Block 2 KerbalX Download
- Lifters required/recommended launch order: 1) NTR Assy Mk2 2) In-Line Tank Assy Mk2 3) 'Saddle' Truss Assy 4) Hab+Lab Mk1

EV-4%20Longship%20Block%203%20Small_zpsc

EV-4 'Longship' Block 3 KerbalX Download
- Lifters required/recommended launch order: 1) NTR Assy Mk2 2) In-Line Tank Assy Mk3 3) 'Star' Truss Assy 4) 'Star' Truss Drop Tanks 5) Hab+Lab Mk2

Real-life influence: Constellation program "Copernicus" NTR-STS/Mars DRA 5.0 (Cancelled)

EV-4 Modular Exploration Vehicle Components

EV-5 'Drifter' Solar Electric Propulsion Transfer Vehicle (Orbitally-assembled)

Spoiler

EV-5%20Drifter%20Small_zpsls50hj78.png

EV-5 'Drifter' KerbalX Download
- Lifters required/recommended launch order: 1) EV-5 Fwd Truss Assy 2) EV-5 Aft Truss Assy 3) EV-5 Hab+Lab

Real-life influence: Boeing's Mars Design Architecture

EV-5 Component Launchers:

EV-5 Forward Truss Assemby (Titan 3P)

EV-5 AftTruss Assemby (Titan 3P)

EV-5 Habitation & Research Lab Assembly (Thunder 4)

Lander Vehicles (LV) 

Lander%20Vehicles%20Small_zpszconm6y0.pn

Spoiler

LV-1C 'Frog' Mun habitat lander (Titan 4)

Spoiler

LV-1C%20Frog%20Small_zpsbj3stth3.png

LV-1C 'Frog'-Titan 5 KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Apollo Applications Program

LV-2C 'Heavy Grasshopper' Minmus habitat lander (Titan 4)

Spoiler

LV-2D 'Cricket' Mun lander (Titan 3P)

Spoiler

LV-2D%20Cricket%20Small_zpsmy4y7nin.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) This lander is designed to be refueled in orbit, despite having a small docking port for surface refueling.  Ideally, an EV-2C would be launched on a 'Titan 3P' with a monopropellant-filled service module in the payload fairing.  After rendezvousing with the LV-2D in Munar orbit (preferably at a small orbital station), the monopropellant would be offloaded to the lander before the landing phase.  In a sense, this lander is utilized like the Apollo-style LV-1 'Frog', but is left in orbit for reuse after each mission.  For redundancy and flexibility, surface refueling can still occur, but is not intended to be the primary method of servicing.

LV-2D 'Cricket'-Titan 3P KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Boeing Reusable Lunar Lander

LV-3A 'Bullfrog' Mun lander (Titan 3M)

Spoiler

LV-3A%20Bullfrog%20Small_zpsfv1nximi.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) The rover ramp is gravity-powered, so once you drop it you can't raise it again.  Ensure your LV-3A is landed where you want it.

LV-3A 'Bullfrog'-Titan 3M KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: "Altair" Lunar Surface Access Module (LSAM) from cancelled Constellation program

LV-3B 'Bullfrog' Mun research lander (Titan 3M)

Spoiler

LV-3B%20Bullfrog%20Small_zpsdkpmpy1m.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) The rover ramp is gravity-powered, so once you drop it you can't raise it again.  Ensure your LV-3B is landed where you want it.

LV-3B 'Bullfrog'-Titan 3M KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: None

LV-3C 'Bullfrog' Cargo lander & BM-series Assemblies (Titan 3M)

Spoiler

LV-3C%20Bullfrog%20amp%20BM%20subassembl

BM-series Mun Surface Outpost Assemblies KerbalX Downloads
Real-life influence: Cargo variant of "Altair" Lunar Surface Access Module (LSAM) from cancelled Constellation program

LV-3D 'Bullfrog' Duna lander (Titan 3M)

Spoiler

LV-3D%20Bullfrog%20Small_zpsd8augnrb.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) This lander is designed to be carried to Duna via the EV-5 SEPTV, which is designed to be staged from Munar orbit.  Therefore, the LV-3D is launched on top of the 'Titan 3M' to carry it to the staging orbit around the Mun.

LV-3D 'Bullfrog'-Titan 3M KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Boeing's Mars crew lander/ascent vehicle

LV-3E 'Bullfrog' Duna habitation & research lander (Titan 3M)

Spoiler

LV-3E%20Bullfrog%20Small_zpsg8eb10qx.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) This lander is designed to be carried to Duna via the EV-5 SEPTV, which is designed to be staged from Munar orbit.  Therefore, the LV-3E is launched on top of the 'Titan 3M' to carry it to the staging orbit around the Mun.

LV-3E 'Bullfrog'-Titan 3M KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Boeing's Mars habitation lander

LV-4A 'Armadillo' Duna lander [See EV-3 'Clipper' in the Exploration Vehicles section]

HLV-5 'Porpoise' Mun modular lander (Lightning)

Spoiler

HLV-5%20Porpoise%20Small_zps1xdvfnol.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) These landers are meant to be used in conjunction with PD-32/64 orbital propellant depots and surface ISRU equipment.  They utilize the same single-resource logistical chain as the 'Lightning'/LITE rocket stages, reusability, and flexibility to cover all Munar latitudes.

HLV-5A 'Porpoise'-Lightning KerbalX Download
HLV-5B 'Porpoise'-Lightning KerbalX Download
HLV-5C 'Porpoise'-Lightning KerbalX Download

Real-life influence: ULA Dual Thrust Axis Lander (DTAL)

HLV-5C%20Cargo%20Rack%20Small_zpsxe61aa1

Engineer's Notes:
1) Coming Soon

HLV-5C Cargo Rack-Lightning KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: ULA Dual Thrust Axis Lander (DTAL) & ACES upper stage

HLV-6A 'Warthog' Duna cargo lander (Titan 4C+)

Spoiler

HLV-6A%20Warthog%20Small_zps203xrbgk.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) Unlike the real Constellation horizontal landers, the HLV-6 is designed to deorbit without the aeroshell.  The aeroshell should be retained during the trip to Duna to ensure any aerocapture maneuvers are possible as well as perform the actual deorbit burn via it's 24-77 engines, however the HLV-6 aeroshell is too streamlined to ensure adequate deceleration during the final entry, descent and landing (EDL) sequence.  After you establish the entry trajectory you want, jettison the aeroshell halves and end plate.  Then have the SAS hold prograde with the RCS enabled throughout the atmo entry until the main chutes are deployed.
2) In order for KSP to focus properly on the Duna Ascent Vehicle during the ascent sequence, the root part needed to be the Mk1-2 capsule on the DAV itself.  For this reason, you will need to pan/zoom inside the aeroshell and select "Control From Here" on the OKTO2 probe core mounted on the forward end of the ISRU unit.  This will ensure the proper control axis during launch from Kerbin and any time you switch focus back to the HLV-6A to conduct a maneuver.

3) Before releasing any rovers from their ramps, lock brakes to ensure it doesn't roll away.
4) The ER-3 is placed below the ISRU unit in such a way to allow a Kerbal to walk around behind it and push it to the ramp.  There isn't enough overhead clearance to allow the ER-3 to be driven out; so one Kerbal should push, and another Kerbal midway up the ramp to catch.

HLV-6A 'Warthog'-Titan 4C+ KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Constellation program/Mars DRA 5.0 cargo lander (Cancelled)

HLV-6B 'Warthog' Duna habitation/research lander (Titan 4C+)

Spoiler

HLV-6B%20Warthog%20Small_zpscg1lf4ts.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) Unlike the real Constellation horizontal landers, the HLV-6 is designed to deorbit without the aeroshell.  The aeroshell should be retained during the trip to Duna to ensure any aerocapture maneuvers are possible as well as perform the actual deorbit burn via it's 24-77 engines, however the HLV-6 aeroshell is too streamlined to ensure adequate deceleration during the final entry, descent and landing (EDL) sequence.  After you establish the entry trajectory you want, jettison the aeroshell halves and end plate.  Then have the SAS hold prograde with the RCS enabled throughout the atmo entry until the main chutes are deployed.
2) Another reason to keep the aeroshell in the case of the HLV-6B is it has the rear docking port for EV-2C crew transfer.
3) Before releasing the BM-A module, lock brakes to ensure it doesn't roll away.

HLV-6B 'Warthog'-Titan 4C+ KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Constellation program/Mars DRA 5.0 habitat lander (Cancelled)

Spaceplanes, Vertically-launched, Reusable (SVR)

Spaceplanes%20Vertically-launched%20Reus

Spoiler

SVR-10 'Thunderbird' vertically-launched spaceplane (Thunder 1)

Spoiler

SVR-10%20Thunderbird%20Small_zpsqdxfdoah

Engineer's Notes:
1) This craft is moderately difficult to launch, but not impossible; practice makes it easier. I make good use of the prograde function of the SAS throughout most of the ascent.  At the very least, between 280 and 400 m/s, lock the SAS to the prograde vector (if available).  This will keep the SVR-10 from flipping until it gets through the transonic range, where it’s the most unstable.

*While this craft doesn't have the glamour of a full-up space shuttle, or the ease-of use of the EV-2 series capsules, it's still a decent craft file to have in career mode.  Assuming the SVR-10 safely lands back at the KSC runway, you will get a refund of 18,555 funds, not including any returns from extra fuel in the tanks.  That brings the total expenditure to 29,472 funds; the cheapest (non-SSTO) means to transport 3 Kerbals to orbit and back...cheaper than the EV-2B even.

SVR-10 'Thunderbird' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Boeing X-20 Dyna-Soar

SVR-16 'Ranger' vertically-launched spaceplane

Spoiler

SVR-16%20Ranger%20Small_zpsaseeeliy.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) Keep in mind the payload limitations when loading the cargo bay.  The Payload Capability chart assumes the mass is centered in the cargo bay.  The further away from the green you get, the harder the craft will be to control during launch and ascent.  The red areas are a no-go or you may experience significant difficulties during ascent.  This is due to the nature of the assymetric design of the shuttle system and the limitations of the KSP craft engineering.
2) While the SVR-16 isn't optimized to bring anything down from orbit (only to carry things up), you can land with small masses if loaded properly.  Also, be very careful to not turn to sharp in the atmosphere as you can cause the nose to flare up sharply and lose control.  Again, this craft is based around a series of design compromises, it is not a dogfighter nor a one-stop lifter for any/all payloads.  It's a novelty item really.
3) Depending on OMS fuel expenditures, the cost per launch is between 87,000 to 89,000 funds (assuming you recover the SVR-16 on the runway).  The main competitor for the 'Ranger' is the 'Thunder 4 Heavy', being slightly cheaper and easier to push heavy payloads to MKO.  The 'Titan 3' family of heavy rockets can push heavier/larger payloads to LKO/MKO and are easier to operate, but are slightly more expensive in cost.

SVR-16 'Ranger' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: STS Space Shuttle

SVR-23A/SVR-23B 'Raven' vertically-launched spaceplane

Spoiler

SVR-23A%20Raven%20Small_zpszdj2gnzn.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) During launch and ascent, only the 'Vernor' thrusters on the booster rocket are enabled for attitude control.  After reaching orbit, you will need to power-on the SVR-23's RCS thrusters by selecting [2] on the action groups.
2) After jettisoning the booster rocket, right-click on the aft fuel tank and open the Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer fuel valves.

SVR-23A 'Raven' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Boeing X-37 Orbital Test Vehicle

SVR-23B%20Raven%20Small_zpsyigpaqpt.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) During launch and ascent, only the 'Vernor' thrusters on the booster rocket are enabled for attitude control.  After reaching orbit, you will need to power-on the SVR-23's RCS thrusters by selecting [2] on the action groups.
2) After jettisoning the booster rocket, right-click on the aft fuel tank and open the Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer fuel valves.

SVR-23B 'Raven' KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Boeing X-37 Orbital Test Vehicle

Robotics

Robotics%20Small_zpsqhqdh9q8.png

Spoiler

SEP-AC Mk1 (Titan 3P)

Spoiler

SEP-AC%20Mk1-Titan%203P%20Small_zpserkxs

SEP-AC Mk1-Titan 3P KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission robotic SEP spacecraft, SLS Block 1B cargo (with EUS/Exploration Upper Stage)

PD-32 'Camel Hump 32' & PD-64 'Camel Hump 64' (Lightning)

IV-1A/IV-1B/IV-1C 'Meerkat' ISRU vehicles (Titan 3P)

Spoiler

IV-1%20Meerkat%20Small_zpsmlp9kb9d.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) When utilized in conjunction with HLV-5B propellant lifters, only several of the IV-1B's are needed to keep a large refueling station in low Munar orbit supplied with liquid fuel and oxidizer.  PD-32/64 orbital depots and LITE reusable upper stages are also easily incorporated into the logistics chain.
2) *Currently there is a bug that exists in KSP where ISRU equipment overheats when left running in the background (unloaded).*

IV-1A 'Meerkat'-Titan 3P KerbalX Download
IV-1B 'Meerkat'-Titan 3P KerbalX Download
IV-1C 'Meerkat'-Titan 3P KerbalX Download

Real-life influence: None

Satellites & Probes

Satellites%20amp%20Probes%20Small_zpsyqh

Spoiler

Kerbin Orbiting Satellites (AKOS, 'NavComm', 'KeoSat')

Spoiler

Kerbin%20Orbiting%20Satellites%20Small_z

AKOS-Javelin 1 KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: JAXA ALOS (Advanced Land Observing Satellite)
'NavComm'-Javelin 1 KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: NavStar (U.S. GPS constellation)
'KeoSat'-Javelin 3 KerbalX Download

Orbital Science, Scanning & Survey Satellites ('Pathfinder', 'Prospector', 'Surveyor')

Spoiler

Orbital%20Science%20Scanning%20amp%20Sur

'Pathfinder'-Titan 3P KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: NASA Voyager program
'Prospector'-Thunder 4 KerbalX Download
'Surveyor'-Javelin 3 KerbalX Download

ER-4 'Mole' Duna rover ('Thunder 4 Heavy')

Spoiler

ER-4%20Mole%20Small_zpsjbwczsyv.png

ER-4 'Mole'-Thunder 4 Heavy KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: NASA's "Curiosity" & "Pathfinder" Mars rovers

Rocket Market

Spoiler
Rocket Market Directory
  Class Manufacturer Payload Rating* Launch Cost Real-life analogue
'Javelin 1' Light Jebediah's Junkyard & Spaceship Parts Co. 1 ton to LKO 4,163 Convair SM-65 Atlas
'Javelin 3' Light Jebediah's Junkyard & Spaceship Parts Co. 1.5 tons to 5,000 km 8,034 ULA Atlas II
'Javelin 4' Light Jebediah's Junkyard & Spaceship Parts Co. 3 tons to 18,000 km 12,575 ULA Atlas V 500
'Thunder 1' Medium Rockomax 10 tons to LKO 24,851 ULA Delta IV Medium
'Thunder 1B' Medium Rockomax 15 tons to LKO 28,675 ULA Delta IV Medium+ (4,2)
'Thunder 3' Medium Rockomax 20 tons to LKO or
17 tons to 800 km
49,196 ULA Delta IV Medium+ (5,2)
'Thunder 4' Medium Rockomax 10 tons to 600 km or
3 tons to KEO**
43,653 ULA Delta IV Medium+ (5,4)
'Thunder 4 Heavy' Medium Rockomax 27 tons to 700 km 85,678 ULA Delta IV Heavy
'Lightning' Medium Rockomax 25 tons to LKO or
3 tons to Munar orbit***
77,221 ULA Vulcan / ACES
'Titan 3' Heavy Kerbodyne 40 tons to LKO 96,476 SLS Block 1B (Defunct upper stage version)
'Titan 3P' Heavy Kerbodyne 40 tons to LKO 96,104 Boeing SLS Block 1B
'Titan 3M' Heavy Kerbodyne 30 tons to Munar orbit 97,086 SLS (with defunct Ares V Earth Depature Stage)
'Titan 4C' Heavy Kerbodyne 65 tons to LKO 117,898 Boeing SLS Block 2 Cargo
'Titan 4C+' Heavy Kerbodyne 100 tons to LKO 160,588 SLS Block 2 Cargo (with advanced boosters)

*Payload Ratings are based on a moderately efficient launch profile to a circular, equatorial orbit.  Low Kerbin Orbit (LKO): 70-200 km orbital region
**Kerbisynchronous Equatorial Orbit (KEO): 2,863.33 orbital altitude
***The 3 ton payload rating for the LITE upper stage assumes the stage must deliver the payload to a stable low Munar orbit, and then immediately return to a circular, equatorial 80km Kerbin orbit.  This is to facilitate the refueling and reuse of LITE, however heavier payloads may be delivered to Munar orbit if the LITE upper stage is not required to depart Munar orbit after payload delivery.

Jebediah's Junkyard & Spaceship Parts Co.

Jebs%20Junkyard%20amp%20Spacecraft%20Par

Spoiler

Rockomax

Rockomax%20Line-up%20Small_zpsobyctxcx.p

Spoiler

'Thunder' series of rockets

'Lightning' rocket / LITE upper stage

Spoiler

Lightning%20amp%20LITE%20Small_zpshuykqi

'Lightning'/LITE KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: ULA "Vulcan' rocket / ACES upper stage

Kerbodyne

Kerbodyne%20Line-up%20Small_zpsyeqgzgp9.

'Titan' series of rockets

'Titan 4N' rocket / NITE upper stage

Spoiler

Titan%204N%20amp%20NITE%20Small_zpsfw2k2

'Titan 4N'/NITE KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Boeing Space Launch System (SLS)

Space Stations

Spoiler

'Sky Lab' (Titan 1)

Spoiler

Sky%20Lab%20Small_zpswi5uofz8.png

'Sky Lab'-Titan 1 KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: NASA "Skylab"

'Wernher Station' (Orbitally-assembled)
Spoiler

Wernher%20Station%20Small_zpszvht4fsz.pn

Engineer's Notes:
1) To download the station module subassemblies seen in this image, reference the KerbalX link in the Station Modules (SM-series) drop-down link in the Subassemblies section.

Real-life influence: Boeing Exploration Habitat (Concept)
'Pioneer Station' (Orbitally-assembled)
Spoiler

Pioneer%20Station%20Small_zpsfcrln16s.pn

Engineer's Notes:
1) To download the station module subassemblies seen in this image, reference the KerbalX link in the Station Modules (SM-series) drop-down link in the Subassemblies section.

Public Service Announcement:
To fully construct an ISS-style station with the above modules, the total part count will be well over 500, not including the delivery launcher/Shuttle in the same area during assembly.  I would recommend not building something of that scale unless your computer can handle the part count.
Real-life influence: International Space Station (ISS)
'Gateway Station' (Orbitally-assembled)
Spoiler

Gateway%20Station%20Small_zpskk4i3ze1.pn

Engineer's Notes:

Real-life influence: Exploration Gateway Platform (Concept)
'Depot Station' (Orbitally-assembled)
Spoiler

Depot%20Station%20Small_zpsdwgepw6t.png

Engineer's Notes:
1) To download the station module subassemblies seen in this image, reference the KerbalX link in the Station Modules (SM-series) drop-down link in the Subassemblies section.

Real-life influence: Soviet/Russian "Mir" space station
'Freeport Station' (Orbitally-assembled)
Spoiler

Freeport%20Station%20Small_zpsfpsurkpi.p

Engineer's Notes:

Real-life influence: Russian OPSEK space station (Concept)

Subassembly Section

Spoiler

ATSV (All-Terrain Survey Vehicle)

Spoiler

ATSV%20Small_zpsk4mnqdjd.png

ATSV (All-Terrain Survey Vehicle) KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: Any number of real-life offroad vehicles

EMU (Extravehicular Maneuvering Unit)

Spoiler

Exploration Rovers (ER)

Exploration%20Rovers%20Small_zpscxljx3ro

Spoiler

ER-1 'Rat' Mun rover

Spoiler

ER-1%20Rat%20Small_zpsj8odwnws.png

ER-1 'Rat' Mun rover

ER-2 'Ferret' low-gravity rover

Spoiler

ER-2%20Ferret%20Small_zpscsr3xfxf.png

ER-2 'Ferret' KerbalX Download

ER-3 'Mongoose' Duna rover

Spoiler

ER-3%20Mongoose%20Small%20-%20Copy_zpsyg

ER-3 'Mongoose' KerbalX Download

Mun ISRU Rovers (MIR)

Mun%20ISRU%20Rovers%20Small_zpsyjbatuvz.

Utility Rovers

Utility%20Rovers%20Small_zpsjqczlkxb.png

Spoiler

Utility%20Rovers%20Small_zpsk3krthlv.png

MPC KerbalX Download
MPC-L KerbalX Download
SRTG KerbalX Download
MCR KerbalX Download
Real-life influence: MPC/SRTG influenced by DIPS/FSPS rovers from Constellation program/Mars DRA 5.0 cargo lander (Cancelled)

Station Modules (SM-series)

Spoiler

Station%20Modules%20-%20RockomaxProbodob

Engineer's Notes:
1) These station modules are intended to be launched by simple/inexpensive launchers.  Once in orbit, these modules (with the exception of the SM-H1 and SM-PL+H) can autonomously rendezvous and dock themselves together.  The cost savings is on the launcher system, but the modules themselves are rather expensive.
2) The SM-H1 will need a dedicated payload stage that can perform rendezvous and docking for it.  The SM-PL+H will need an upper stage capable of delivering the module close to the intended station, after which two EMU's can latch on to each side in the same manner as the modules in the following image.

Station%20Modules%20-%20Jebs%20JunkyardI

Engineer's Notes:
1) It should be noted that these station modules were intended to be moved and assembled in orbit by E.M.U.'s.  Many of the modules have small docking clamps mounted on them to facilitate EMU attachment.  This is my workaround to not having a stock RMS arm available.  Most of the modules require a pair of EMU's, each clamping on to opposing sides for RCS balance.

Station%20Modules%20-%20DinkelsteinMaxo%

Engineer's Notes:
1) It should be noted that the truss modules were intended to be moved and assembled in orbit by E.M.U.'s.  Many of the modules have small docking clamps mounted on them to facilitate EMU attachment.  This is my workaround to not having a stock RMS arm available.  Most of the modules require a pair of EMU's, each clamping on to opposing sides for RCS balance.
2) The SM-MSAT (Main Solar Array T-assemblies) can be attached to the truss by a single EMU.  The base of the T-assembly has a small mono tank and some RCS thrusters, which will provide the opposite and balancing force when maneuvering the MSAT's into position.

Public Service Announcement:
To fully construct an ISS-style station with the above modules, the total part count will be well over 500, not including the delivery launcher/Shuttle in the same area during assembly.  I would recommend not building something of that scale unless your computer can handle the part count.  Aside from that, if anyone has screenshots of stations they've built using any of these modules, or simply added on to their own, I'd enjoy any screenshots.  Happy building. :)

SM-series Subassembly KerbalX Hanger
Real-life influence: Various real-life and conceptual examples

Categorized Bulk Downloads Section

Spoiler

Links will take you to the KerbalX site, click "download all craft as zip" button

X-Plane KerbalX Hanger KSA Fleet KerbalX Hanger C7 Series KerbalX Hanger
LKO/MKO KerbalX Hanger Rocket Market KerbalX Hanger Satellites & Probes Market KerbalX Hanger
Mun DRA 1.0 KerbalX Hanger SM-series subassembly station module KerbalX Hanger Duna DRA 1.0 KerbalX Hanger
Mun DRA 2.0 KerbalX Hanger ISRU Hardware KerbalX Hanger Duna DRA 2.0 KerbalX Hanger
Mun DRA 3.0 KerbalX Hanger CisMunar Economy KerbalX Hanger Duna DRA 3.0 KerbalX Hanger
Minmus DRA 1.0 KerbalX Hanger Rovers KerbalX Hanger EV-4 Compenent Lifters KerbalX Hanger
SPH KerbalX Hanger VAB KerbalX Hanger Subassemblies KerbalX Hanger

*The 'Titan 4C+' will not be included in the any of the download zips.  It will need to be downloaded manually.  Waiting on a word back from the KerbalX admin on a solution.

Note: If you are the first person to download a zip for a hangar since it was last updated then there will be a 10-20 second wait while the zip is created.
All subsequent requests for that zip will happen almost instantly.

CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES ON DESIGNS AND NEW CONCEPTS

X-14%20Test%20Photo%20Small_zpswazzntuu.X-17%20Test%20Photo%20Small_zpsy5ucjomq.

IF ANYONE HAS SCREENSHOTS OF THESE CRAFT IN ACTION, FEEL FREE TO SHARE THEM HERE ALONG WITH STORIES OF SUCCESS, GLORY OR FAILURE

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: Will you make craft X or modify craft Y to have feature Z?
A: Craft that are shared here are made for my use in KSP, but everyone has different building and play styles.  If you want an SSTO spaceplane with an LV-N engine on it, it's too easy to throw one on there yourself.  I don't take craft requests.  If you have a craft request, there are already a number of experienced KSP builders on the forums that do take requests.  However, I don't have the time or motivation to be out-sourced.

Q: How do you make the brochure-style graphics for each craft download?
A: I start by taking screenshots using Kronal Vessel Viewer, then do all the rest manually using Microsoft Paint.  Simple and easy.

Q: You have too many craft to download, how can I get all of them without dedicating an absurd amount of time clicking away on KerbalX?
A: You're in luck! @katateochi (who runs the KerbalX website), was kind enough to implement a new feature to enable downloading an entire hanger of craft files.  You can find links to groups of craft in the Categorized Bulk Downloads Section just above.

Q: I don't understand how to use one of your craft.
A: I try to be as informative and concise when making the brochure-style graphics that accompany each craft.  They're intended to provide other users with basic information to the craft's purpose, action group settings, and other miscellaneous tidbits that hopefully clarify what went into the design.  However, after reviewing the craft graphic there are still unanswered questions, feel free to post your question in this thread and I'll try to answer as soon as I am able. :)

Q: One of your craft appears to not be working as intended.
A: This is a common comment I see on KerbalX.  First thing I'm going to ask you to do is try the craft out in a vanilla (stock only) install of KSP.  9/10 times a mod is altering the behavior of the craft or interfering with a designed feature.  I am not without my mistakes, but I thoroughly test these craft in stock KSP before publishing them on KerbalX.  Another reason may be using the craft in a different version of KSP than it was intended.  I'm always happy to troubleshoot issues, but the first two questions I will ask are "Do you have any mods installed?" and "Which version of KSP are you running?" *At the moment, 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 craft appear to be interchangeable, so I haven't seen any issues.

Most Recent Updates (Last 7 days)
(None)

Future Updates to the thread
-----Short-term Plans-----
- Updating all craft to 1.3.X, with priority to craft with lots of struts (ie. HLV-5 and LV-2 lander series, and the Rocket Market)

- SM-series station module updates and additional modules; updating Space Station example graphics to include new stations.
- A few small tweaks to the EV-4-series, the main thing being an increase in communications power.
- An updated EV-5 'Drifter' (to be redesignated EV-5 Block 1); has a slight reduction in part count, and a slight increase in delta-V.

-----Long-term Plans-----
- EV-5 'Drifter' Block 2 for inner system exploration; increased TWR and delta-V compared to EV-5 Block 1, but higher cost and lacking the ability to travel to Duna due to solar energy drop-off.
- X-22 Supersonic STOVL Flight Test (whenever I am finally satisfied with the look and flight characteristics really)

-----LONG, Long-term Plans-----
Eve mission architecture (conceptual stage);

Edited by Raptor9
59 people like this

This is a VTOL transport (formerly known as the X-19 at the time of posting) that I built using Nertea's Mk IV Spaceplane System

screenshot36_zps19ac5c3d.png

screenshot38_zps7f8a6b6c.png

screenshot39_zpse593a31a.png

Nertea's Mk IV release thread

Edited by Raptor9
10 people like this

Very cool indeed! Especially like the X-19

Now I'm off to look for and download nertea's MKIV parts which I didn't know about till now... :cool:

Now I'm off to look for and download nertea's MKIV parts which I didn't know about till now... :cool:

The link to his release thread for the MkIV is below the photos of the 'X-19'. :)

Edited by Raptor9
2 people like this

Thanks Raptor9... I've just skimmed through most of that thread. Just trying to make some room to install it now, so many cool mods to try and squeeze into the 3.5Gb (stable) memory limit!

That X19 is a thing of absolute beauty! All of the planes are great, but that one is just too awesome! :)

I might have to grab that part pack for a tank-carrying SSTO... It looks really good!

Edit. Actually, after finding the thread, it might be a bit small still for the kind of stuff I am going to put there. The X-19 ends up with a bay about the same size as my Quinjet, and I want something that can fit very wide eight-wheelers. But you know, still worth a look so thanks.

Edited by Rune

I might have to grab that part pack for a tank-carrying SSTO... It looks really good!

Edit. Actually, after finding the thread, it might be a bit small still for the kind of stuff I am going to put there. The X-19 ends up with a bay about the same size as my Quinjet, and I want something that can fit very wide eight-wheelers. But you know, still worth a look so thanks.

Yeah, I tried wheeling my mobile surface lab in there, you have to design a 2.5M-based rover with the bay-width in mind. It might be doable, but you have to really consider your wheel selection and placement. You ever see a Humvee inside a CH-47 Chinook? You're talking inches on all sides, and driving it up/down the cargo bay ramp like an inch-worm. :P

EDIT: @Rune, you might be interested to know that Nertea is considering making lift-fans for a possible atmospheric propulsion pack in his Near Future Tech thread. They might be a good addition to your QuinJet. I'm gonna make a QuinJet with those myself if he decides to do them.

Edited by Raptor9
2 people like this

Good looking craft there. You should try them in FAR, some of them would actually do quite well.

same! looks great.

EDIT: Current prototype designations referenced in this post are depreciated after 1.0 redesign of all craft files.

Updated my OP with the re-optimized craft designs after the release of 0.90. Most of the existing designs weren't edited too much, but some were, to take advantage of more precise airfoil orientation and angles using the editor gizmos. The X-19 was redesignated as the HV-X, and a lightweight drone was inserted. Additionally, three more designs (not including the X-19 drone) were introduced. A modern X-17 with the remade Mk3 parts, and two advanced spaceplanes with VTOL capability using stock parts.

Here's a publicity screenshot of the X-21 using Lack's Mk3 tail ramp from his STock eXtension mod. I threw it on there for this photo since Squad hasn't released any tail ramps for the Mk3 parts (yet?). A try to keep away from mods with these designs, and I'll probably use an X-21 with an inverted cargo bay to drop 2.5m modules to the surface since they won't fit through this anyway. But it still looks cool.

X-21atnight_zps7dc5e8ac.png

SXT link

Edited by Raptor9
2 people like this

My 1.0 SPH file revamp is still underway, and it's really fun to rediscover how to make these experimental planes under the new aero model. Here's some pictures of the activity inside my SPH hanger...

A recently tweeted picture from one of Wernher Von Kerman's interns:

SPH%20006%20Daily%20bustle%20of%20activity_zpsuahhgf7e.jpg

Edited by Raptor9
2 people like this

Those crafts look awesome, and I like the idea of putting multiple aircraft in the SPH like that!

X-12 breaking the sound barrier & X-13 in a vertical climb

X-12%20Breaking%20the%20Sound%20Barrier_zpsmrmrxl7w.jpg     X-13%20Vertical%20Climb%20Test_zpsxjmyfkzp.jpg

C-17 flying to the Island Airfield & CV-15 departing the KSC

C-14A%20Enroute%20to%20Island%20Airfield_zpsesxkbl34.jpg     CV-15A%20Departing%20the%20KSC_zps2lbvnxh1.jpg

Edited by Raptor9
2 people like this

I wish they make that mk3 ramp door a stock thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I find some of your concepts interesting, would like to partner with this if it were a company, someday...

Nice! Can you get good maneuverability on the X-12 without all-moving pitch surfaces though? I would have thought that the fixed parts of the tail would make it too stable.

Nice! Can you get good maneuverability on the X-12 without all-moving pitch surfaces though? I would have thought that the fixed parts of the tail would make it too stable.

The X-12 isn't nearly as maneuverable as the X-13 since, like you said, it lacks all moving tail surfaces. However, it's still able to pull off 6-12G's, depending on what speed you initiate the pitch back between 200-350 m/s. In real-world terms, that's really good. The X-13 can max out in the red portion of G-meter easily during the first several seconds of the turn, and that's without thrust-vectoring (gimbal is locked, the X-12's aren't). It should also be noted that the forward most sections of both aircraft, the long adapter and even the nose cone, can hold fuel, but normally don't for most flights. They can be fueled for longer flights while maneuverability takes a penalty, however. At least until you burn off some fuel.

For fictional immersion, I justify these setups in that the X-12 was built for speed and stealth, whereas the X-13 was more in focused on maneuverability and cheaper costs. Not to mention that real-world fighter planes are restricted in their maneuverability when carrying external fuel tanks or heavy ordinance (however that is due to structural limits, not CG issues).

Edited by Raptor9
1 person likes this

While the CV-15 revolutionized the air logistics mission by providing long-range transport without the need of a runway, there was limits on what it could do. It's VTOL capabilities gave it flexibility, however it suffered from a poor power-to-weight ratio when landing vertically with a heavy payload.

CV-15%20Landing%20Vertically_zpsxnsqiyss.png

CV-15%20At%20a%20Field%20Site_zpsnzgiknyl.png

A new series of aircraft needed to be developed...STAY TUNED

Edited by Raptor9
2 people like this

After realizing that hybrid verti-planes (airplanes with VTOL capability) could only go so far in terms of capability and performance, lead engineers at the Kerbin Space Agency's SPH RAC cell developed a brand new aerospace concept with a focus on vertical propulsion. The goal was to create a new series of aircraft that could hover just as easily as conventional airplanes were capable of flying at high speeds. As a result, the XV program (eXperimental Vertical) was created. Interested parties soon took interest, namely civil emergency services, the Kerbin Defense Forces (KDF), as well as executives from the KSA itself. At the outset of construction, two prototypes were developed, the XV-M and the XV-A...

The XV-M (Mobility) was to be the baseline behind the concept of vertical propulsion. It's purpose was to provide the ability to carry personnel or cargo and deliver them safely and reliably anywhere big enough to land the aircraft.

XV-M%20Test%20Flight_zpsu5xyoqes.jpg

The XV-A (Attack) was a design aimed for purchase by the KDF. While it was heavier than it's unarmed counterpart, the XV-M, it had a 60% increase in fuel capacity. Further, due to many commonalities in design with the XV-M, namely the propulsion and portions of the fuselage, this aircraft became an attractive prospect for the KDF from a logistical and pilot training perspective.

XV-A%20NOE_zpsep3zmkfr.jpg

After the initial successes of the flight tests of the XV-M and XV-A, the XV program was expanded to determine what future growth this concept could provide...STAY TUNED

Edited by Raptor9
5 people like this

After realizing that hybrid verti-planes (airplanes with VTOL capability) could only go so far in terms of capability and performance, lead engineers at the Kerbin Space Agency's SPH Engineering Department developed a brand new aerospace concept with a focus on vertical propulsion. The goal was to create a new series of aircraft that could hover just as easily as conventional airplanes were capable of flying at high speeds. As a result, the XV program (eXperimental Vertical) was created. Interested parties soon took interest, namely civil emergency services, the Kerbin Defense Forces (KDF), as well as executives from the KSA itself. At the outset of construction, two prototypes were developed, the XV-M and the XV-A...

The XV-M (Mobility) was to be the baseline behind the concept of vertical propulsion. It's purpose was to provide the ability to carry personnel or cargo and deliver them safely and reliably anywhere big enough to land the aircraft.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/raptor_9000/Placeholder%20Photos/SPH%20Showcase/XV-M%20Test%20Flight_zpsu5xyoqes.jpg

The XV-A (Attack) was a design aimed for purchase by the KDF. While it was heavier than it's unarmed counterpart, the XV-M, it had a 60% increase in fuel capacity. Further, due to many commonalities in design with the XV-M, namely the propulsion and portions of the fuselage, this aircraft became an attractive prospect for the KDF from a logistical and pilot training perspective.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/raptor_9000/Placeholder%20Photos/SPH%20Showcase/XV-A%20NOE_zpsep3zmkfr.jpg

After the initial successes of the flight tests of the XV-M and XV-A, the XV program was expanded to determine what future growth this concept could provide...STAY TUNED

Getting ready for that....

Awesome dude, just awesome..

...and subscribed! These are amazing.

After the successful flight tests of the XV-M and XV-A concept demonstrators, the engineering team at the SPH RAC cell began designing a larger, more powerful version of the XV concept, the XV-H (Heavy). This airframe would have twice the power of the previous designs, and have a pair of augmentation engines for horizontal propulsion, giving it dash speeds far exceeding the top speeds of the M or A variants. The XV-H, after construction, was tested to have a max takeoff weight (MTOW) of 40 tons, which equated to 10 tons of payload available at sea level if fully-fueled.

XV-H%20Departing%20KSC_zpsutytmjcc.jpg     XV-H%20On%20Approach_zpskp6i5lwu.jpg

XV-H%20Landed%20at%20Island%20Airfield_zpshpmnb4bm.png

Even with dash speeds as high as 115 m/s, the engineers in the RAC cell felt they could lift more with less. Again, they returned to the drawing boards...STAY TUNED

Edited by Raptor9
2 people like this

Awaiting release! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Are these not available for download?