Kerbal Space Program Toy Survey

SQUAD

Just curious, is there anyone other then me who has made a model of anything in Kerbal separate from what is sold in the Kerbal shop? If you have or if you know of someone who has please link me I would love to see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you are willing to make your KSP model out of Lego I can offer some tips and advice.

I've been wanting this for a long time. Good discussion so far. Let me state my wants as follows:

1. Plushy Kerbals, esp. Jeb, Bob and Bill. We all know which facial expression goes with which. Also, at least one silver-suited recruit. And then of course von Kerman, Gene Kerman, et. al.

2. But the rockets ought NOT BE WOBBLY so no plush rockets with velcro, please. Make up plastic components, just like standard KSP parts, that fit together, again like standard KSP parts. I suppose some items like RCS modules can be magnetic, but minimize the magnets for safety. Sell common parts packs, advanced parts, and maybe even "blind" parts-in-a-bag, like LEGO does. You could sell lots and lots of these, at least to the KSP community!

LEGO may be tough to work with...so many new parts would be needed, stiff licensing deal probably required. So either try Mega-Blocks / Kreo.

Or just go your own way with a factory in China, making liberal use of injection molding for common parts and 3D printing for rare parts.

I love the idea of the make your own rocket, but my first thought was I'd stick it next to my PC, with all those nice magnets to ... hold on a second!

I do like the ideas that people have been putting up, all really cool. To throw in another idea - I wonder of there is a way to create some form of board game/card game (yes I'm that old) wherby you could incorporate some of the orbital stuff we all learn through KSP

PS. Is noone else bothered by the survey title? - Kerbal Space Prorgam Toy Survey

It is a good idea to have a build your own rockets set. It will be a bad idea if magnets are going to be used.

Maybe velcro or something else.

My suggestion, plush rocket parts with velcro attachment, mini plush Kerbals in the pod, collect the lot and safe for the kids :)

True, magnets are not necessarily safe for younger kids, but that is why it would be smart to set minimum ages at which a toy is designed to be used by. Toddlers are more prone to swallowing magnets, so they are out, but pre-teen to teens are the more safe age for magnetic toys!

I would like some type of Kerbal Plush to sit on my desk or some sort of rocket, that doesn't have magnets.

I love the idea of the make your own rocket, but my first thought was I'd stick it next to my PC, with all those nice magnets to ... hold on a second!

Exactly what I was thinking when I heard them being held together by magnets.

I don't understand why everyone wants plushness and not a proper rocket building set out of plastic. So what if it's not for kids under 3 years? KSP isn't a children's game FYI. So why are grown up people wanting toys for little kids and not something that would suit THEM?

I don't understand why everyone wants plushness and not a proper rocket building set out of plastic. So what if it's not for kids under 3 years? KSP isn't a children's game FYI. So why are grown up people wanting toys for little kids and not something that would suit THEM?

+1. Put a gosh-darn "Not suitable for children under X" sticker on the box and you're done.

Because they have little kids that like to get into everything they're not supposed to?

The Kerbals should be plushies. Maybe some plush rockets for the kids to throw, er, launch at each other. The build-a-rocket kits or what-have-you can be plastic/wood/metal.

Brainstorm: how about just putting out decal sheets that can be applied to model rockets (the cardboard and balsa kind like those made by Estes) to give them that 'Kerbal' look

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.