Notepad++ configs for Module Manager files

dreadicon

So, had these around for about a month, was encouraged to share them by some friendly fellow modders. It's just some syntax highlighting language settings for use with Module Manager files in Notepad++. Please give any feedback, and/or feel free to make your own highlighting based on this.

INSTRUCTIONS

Download the xml Notepad++ language config file from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2WmuS1jXmpXMl82WTl5QnRXclE/view

Just save it, then in Notepad++ go to

Language -> User Defined Language -> Import...

then select the downloaded file.

Finally, restart Notepad++, load up the MM file, and then go to

Language -> Module Manager (near the bottom)

Note that because MM doesnt use a unique file extension, you will have to select the syntax highlighting each time you open a new file.

There is also no intellisense/auto-complete either, as Notepad++ custom syntax highlighting is quite basic currently (without diving into manual XML tweaking, and even then)

LICENSE

If relevant/needed, license is EPL: https://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html

Think of it like a compromise between LGPL and BSD/Apache. Basically, you can make derivative works, and do as you wish, with the caveat that changes are offered upstream, and copyleft only kicks in when the source is made available.

For purposes here, I am making a single addendum as follows: 'available in source code form' refers to when the creator of the derivative work allows for further derivative works of any kind, not when the source is available. (otherwise this is basically just LGPL due to the work being inherently in source code form)

Let me know if the license is a moot point, or violates anything! A PM to me with the new language file would suffice for the upstream requirement.

Edited by dreadicon

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@dreadicon This is a brilliant idea to use the syntax highlighter of Notepad++!

This inspired me to create a highlighting for the all the .cfg files for stock KSP and MMKSP Syntax Highlight

Btw, you have defined ".cfg" as ending but it should be only "cfg" this way all files ending with .cfg will have the highlighting automatically

Edited by Nils277
typo

• 6 years later...
On 5/26/2023 at 9:48 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

I have one. I've updated it to some extent and made a dark mode version.

Thanks. I think I came across yours in my search for the one I have used for almost a decade. I think it is the most similar. Unfortunately, I got a new computer and can't for the life of me find the Notepad++ language that I've been using in KSP for many years.  It's almost hard to look at config files now. Anyway, I think the OP's language was the one I used for all these years, but I haven't been able to verify it since the link is broken for me. Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

@Stratickus Ok... Well since the language name is custom it's not important at all what the previous name was. And it's hard to miss (as a selection) when it's in the "User Defined" section at the bottom of the context menu for picking languages. I think anyone can relate to the difficulty of reading a config without syntax highlighting.

You're welcome. :)

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.