New Horizons

r4pt0r

Too far a distance to tell if those are dunes or mounds or whatever. But still, an amazing image! Never thought I'd see that in my lifetime.

PS, there goes all the Mass Effect backstory. But then again, we knew it would get thrown out with a "reboot" to the franchise. ;)

Just thought I'd delurk to say that I work at JHUAPL and we're all really excited about this. ON the down side, 700 people are showing up to our campus tomorrow and I hope i can find a place to park. Its sort of ironic, because we will have nothing to see all day tomorrow as the robot does its job, but thats the day all the festivities are going on!

Am I the only one that cringed when I see that stupid commercial for science channels show that's going to cover it?

"Ah, screw it!"

Y..yea? Ten year space mission to a body never seen in detail by humans so just screw it. That's cool. Science channel = screw it. For science. That's.. great.

Just thought I'd delurk to say that I work at JHUAPL and we're all really excited about this. ON the down side, 700 people are showing up to our campus tomorrow and I hope i can find a place to park. Its sort of ironic, because we will have nothing to see all day tomorrow as the robot does its job, but thats the day all the festivities are going on!

Cool. Most transmissions are going to be once NH is past the encounter and can spare time to point home, right?

Cool. Most transmissions are going to be once NH is past the encounter and can spare time to point home, right?

Yes. The spacecraft will be out of comms for a good chunk of tonight to tomorrow. First downlink from the bird is supposed to occur at 8:53 pm ET tomorrow (having been sent 4.5 hours earlier) and even that downlink is jsut a status message - it wont start dumping data until some time after that to allow more science collections to occur.

Good site summarizing it here: http://www.vox.com/2015/7/13/8949499/new-horizons-pluto-schedule-nasa

Is that the latest image? According to NASA Eyes New Horizons is sending data right now!

Ya it was released at or just after the press release earlier. Lot of interesting things present. We have what looks like a definite crater on Charon with ejecta and everything. Charon still looks really smooth overall, so maybe that crater is more recent?

On the Pluto side the heart is starting to come around, and bits of the whale which looks different to the dark spots on the side we won't get to see.

Learning the nature of the dark whale spot is going to be VERY interesting. Same with the heart. The side we are observing should be really interesting.

:hailpluto:

- - - Updated - - -

The earliest photos from the flyby itself are scheduled to be publicly released around 3 pm ET Wednesday. Over the next few days, the craft will send a handful of the most appealing images for public consumption.
Because it takes so long to send data back from Pluto, though, we won't have all of the photos and scientific data for a full 16 months, so scientists will have to be patient.

awww

Here in CEST it's already July 14th... We're going to see the encounter images before you Americans!!! </sarcasm> *thanks American taxpayers for letting all the world enjoy this event*

In all seriousness, at 3:15 UTC we should get the E Health 1 signal, the last contact before encounter, and also the last LORRI image before encounter. It should show Pluto seen from 768 000 km away at 20:17 UT July 13th, resolution 3.8 km/pix and disk size 630 pixels. They should show it at the media event at around 1200 UT

to confirm what has already been said above, encounter day will be relatively quiet: first signal (Phone Home) is an 18 minute telemetry-only downlink (no images) at 01:03/01:09 UT July 15th (different sources, slightly different times).

first encounter image should come down at 10:59 July 15th (1.5 hour long communication). First to come down will be:

- Charon seen from LORRI @ 466 000 km, 02:22 14/7, 2.3 km/pixel

- Pluto seen from LORRI @ 778 000 km, 20:02 13/7, 3.9 km/pixel

- Hydra seen from LORRI @ 645 000 km, 23:16 13/7, 3.2 km/pixel, 10x18 pixel wide

Edited by Frida Space

Oh so we will get one more photo to tide us over until Wednesday (here in the USA anyway).

Here in CEST it's already July 14th... We're going to see the encounter images before you Americans!!! </sarcasm> *thanks American taxpayers for letting all the world enjoy this event*

In all seriousness, at 3:15 UTC we should get the E Health 1 signal, the last contact before encounter, and also the last LORRI image before encounter. It should show Pluto seen from 768 000 km away at 20:17 UT July 13th, resolution 3.8 km/pix and disk size 630 pixels. They should show it at the media event at around 1200 UT

to confirm what has already been said above, encounter day will be relatively quiet: first signal (Phone Home) is an 18 minute telemetry-only downlink (no images) at 01:03/01:09 UT July 15th (different sources, slightly different times).

first encounter image should come down at 10:59 July 15th (1.5 hour long communication). First to come down will be:

- Hydra seen from LORRI @ 645 000 km, 23:16 13/7, 3.2 km/pixel, 10x18 pixel wide

Oh so we will get one more photo to tide us over until Wednesday (here in the USA anyway).

We'll be getting around 20ish LORRI images of the flyby until July 20th. Then we'll have to wait until sept/nov

edit: oops, I think misunderstood your comment. Yes, there will be a photo released tomorrow, so not too boring of a day for us here at 5 bln km from where all the action is taking place.

The whole american taxpayers giving images to the world for free thing is something I'm fairly proud of as an american. Don't know if people here have seen this, but there has been a campaign for SpaceX to release images as public domain, which has made some headway.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/20/8262525/spacex-images-public-domain-creative-commons

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/03/spacex-releases-its-photos-under-creative-commons/388200/

note that esa doesn't automatically do this, although they have in recent years been better about releasing information into creative commons. I'd suggest that continuing the push for free use of space imagery is something everyone in this community could get behind.

My birthday (to the minute) is within ten hours of the closest flyby.

So... this may be the coolest birthday "present" I've ever gotten, or will get, in my life. :D

EDIT:

Did I say ten hours? I meant ten minutes. XD

Edited by Starwhip

Only 12 hours!

Yeah, getting close. Been watching New Horizons "live" with NASA's Eyes. Looks like it turned its antenna toward Earth a bit ago. I wonder if there are pictures on the way. Guess we'll find out in about four hours or so.

Edited by Jeff Bird

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.