Unofficial Docking Ideas

tncm

So I was think about how Squad is working on docking and how they were going to do it.

My idea was that we could use expensive magnets. You would place 2 on the docking points on the 2 craft. Then within a certain range, say 10 m, they would begin to attract. They would come and then hold together? What do you guys think about this?

Yeah... you probably don\'t want to be putting moderately powered magnates anywhere near the sort of delicate scientific equipment and electronics you\'ll probably have on your rocket, or be moving around using the docking system.

I\'d be happy to see them used alongside the main docking system, but they should have some serious consequences to using them in the wrong places. ;)

I think, it would be nice to have some sort of 'docking navigation system'.

It is a bit hard to dock with third person view, but with DNS it could be more easier. I don\'t ask for docking autopilot, but first-person view directly from the docking port.

I think a dns makes sense, manually docking with something travelling at over 2k in speed sounds like a recipe for more Kerbal casualties to me.

Not that it couldn\'t be done.. I just think it would be difficult..