Crowd Sourced Science-Biome Reports Everywhere! (August 11) [6.0]

DuoDex

What do you want next?  

746 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want next?

• Expand, with an eye towards support for other science mods.
    • Make contributing easier!
    • Add support for the planet pack mods.

On 4/6/2017 at 8:47 AM, DStaal said:

Out of curiosity: Has anyone tried this with the 1.2.9 beta?  Does it work?

No more than it did before.  There are a couple of gaps in stock that get filled (e.g. even though stock defines a crew report for "KerbinSrfLandedLaunchpad", the "default" report is what gets read out by stock KSP, and with Crowd Sourced Science, it's the first mod report that gets read out), but there's no cycling.

Since the stock game includes some 'alternate' reports that don't get read out, I'll file a bug on the tracker.

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 1:46 PM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

No more than it did before.  There are a couple of gaps in stock that get filled (e.g. even though stock defines a crew report for "KerbinSrfLandedLaunchpad", the "default" report is what gets read out by stock KSP, and with Crowd Sourced Science, it's the first mod report that gets read out), but there's no cycling.

Since the stock game includes some 'alternate' reports that don't get read out, I'll file a bug on the tracker.

I filed a bug report in the tracker on this back in january. #13552

Edited by akardam
Un-bold

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 10:45 PM, akardam said:

So... now what?

so, if adding an asterisk at the end worked, why don't we do just that?

I already have a plugin that can edit the keys in bulk, I can easily add this fix

but I would need someone to test it

nevermidn, I think I solved it...

@DuoDex (or whoever is in charge of this) look at the github issue and let me know if it work fine for you

Edited by Sigma88

On 5/3/2017 at 6:58 PM, Sigma88 said:

so, if adding an asterisk at the end worked, why don't we do just that?

I already have a plugin that can edit the keys in bulk, I can easily add this fix

but I would need someone to test it

nevermidn, I think I solved it...

@DuoDex (or whoever is in charge of this) look at the github issue and let me know if it work fine for you

Do not currently have access to a PC with KSP on it but I'm sure it will work just fine.

Thanks! Just throw me a PR and I'll merge it.

For those who were waiting on a KSP 1.2 release:

There is one !

This release now includes a plugin made by @Sigma88 to fix a problem in KSP that kept giving the same result.

Full Changelog:

• Added plugin that fixes CSS for KSP 1.2 (Thanks @Sigma88).
  • Moved all science configs into the CrowdSourcedScience folder.
  • Updated .version file.
  • Added some new results.

v4.0 is now available on GitHub and CKAN.

1 minute ago, Olympic1 said:

For those who were waiting on a KSP 1.2 release:

There is one !

This release now includes a plugin made by @Sigma88 to fix a problem in KSP that kept giving the same result.

Full Changelog:

• Added plugin that fixes CSS for KSP 1.2 (Thanks @Sigma88).
  • Moved all science configs into the CrowdSourcedScience folder.
  • Updated .version file.
  • Added some new results.

v4.0 is now available on GitHub and CKAN.

Glad to see this come back :)

Since there's a pull request to skip modifying key names with an existing asterisk at the end (which makes sense), might as well also not only ignore "default", but ignore any key beginning with "default". Maybe something like this?

foreach (ConfigNode.Value key in results.values) {
  if (!key.name.StartsWith('default') && !key.name.EndsWith('*'))
    data.AddValue(key.name + '*', key.value);
}

Hope Squad actually fixes things soon, so the default entries will come into play too.

4 hours ago, akardam said:

Since there's a pull request to skip modifying key names with an existing asterisk at the end (which makes sense), might as well also not only ignore "default", but ignore any key beginning with "default". Maybe something like this?

foreach (ConfigNode.Value key in results.values) {
  if (!key.name.StartsWith('default') && !key.name.EndsWith('*'))
    data.AddValue(key.name + '*', key.value);
}

Hope Squad actually fixes things soon, so the default entries will come into play too.

a key beginning with defalut (but not == default) would have no effect on the game

for some weird reason explained earlier in the thread, only 1 default gets displayed, and if no key called "default" are found the report fails directly (without checking for alternatives) and prints out the standard [experiment has been collected] or whatever it is

edit:

derp, nevermind, I should avoid posting before having my morning coffee

Edited by Sigma88

5 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

a key beginning with defalut (but not == default) would have no effect on the game

-snip-

derp, nevermind, I should avoid posting before having my morning coffee

Your derpiness aside (don't worry, we all have it from time to time), yes, I know, I was there. Just saying since of that default key issue, why bother doing the work to modify any key starting with default, since it won't matter?

1 hour ago, akardam said:

Just saying since of that default key issue, why bother doing the work to modify any key starting with default, since it won't matter?

yup, that is what my derp was about

at first I didn't realize what you were saying, then (after replying) I realized what you just said and went back to edit my comment

if you look at the PR it has now your suggestion

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Olympic1 said:

Just released v4.1 for KSP 1.3.

This is just a recompile for 1.3, further no changes.

v4.1 is now available on GitHub and soon on CKAN.

updated OP, please ping me on irc if you want a new OP for you to maintain or if you update again

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually the best mod.

Edit: BTW, this reminds me of the fun mechanic utilized in Stellaris. It would be awesome if KSP had a lore-friendly mod with chance / resource / career based decisions during the missions with small rewards.

Edited by Astronomer

On 09/12/2014 at 0:55 AM, DuoDex said:

3For pre-0.90 biomes only.

Are there no unique reports for new biomes because they're incompatible, or they just haven't been written yet? If it's the latter I'll write some to bring the mod up to speed.

On 6/13/2017 at 3:48 PM, voicey99 said:

Are there no unique reports for new biomes because they're incompatible, or they just haven't been written yet? If it's the latter I'll write some to bring the mod up to speed.

Haven't been written yet. Hop on Github (link in OP) and write a few, we can always use more!

On 6/15/2017 at 2:41 AM, DuoDex said:

Haven't been written yet. Hop on Github (link in OP) and write a few, we can always use more!

I'm going to make a concerted effort to fill in all the gaps by adding missing biomes and exps that have nothing/only generics defined (stock+USI). This will probably take me a few days but it's going to result in seeing a lot less defaults (everything except the Station Science and DMOS experiments-if I ever get round to using them, I'll fill them in too).

EDIT: ...the fact that I'm writing at least one unique report for every experiment in every situation in every biome including the new ones with somewhat limited time makes this a much longer-term project lasting weeks, possibly even months. Still, I'll be working on it behind the scenes until it's done and when it is, be ready for a massive pull request.

PROGRESS LOG:

MOHO: TO DO

EVE: TO DO

---GILLY: TO DO

KERBIN: COMPLETE

---MUN: IN PROGRESS

---MINMUS: TO DO

DUNA: COMPLETE

---IKE: COMPLETE

DRES: TO DO

JOOL: TO DO

---LAYTHE: TO DO

---VALL: TO DO

---TYLO: TO DO

---BOP: TO DO

---POL: TO DO

EELOO: TO DO

Edited by voicey99
Kerbin done!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey I was wondering if there is an easy way to modify a single experiment? I'm looking to change the logs so Laythe now has a breathable atmosphere, the EVA report for Laythe is the only thing standing in my way, and this just seems like the right place to ask.

• 1 month later...

Has something changed? I used to get way more diverse reports from the buildings around the KSC. Now I see a bunch of generic ones and a handful of original ones.

I use Kerbalism, not sure if it matters. It's the same science experiments, I just get them at different point in the tech tree now. And it worked with Crowd Sourced science before.

49 minutes ago, Tricky14 said:

Has something changed?

Actually it has. For the longest time, Crowd Source Science was nothing but a MM patch and worked without any *.dll. Due to a quirk in the way the game handles sciencedefs, as they are called, it was possible to display a different message each time the experiment is rerun. Unfortunately two major versions ago (I think?) this particular behaviour was removed and you'd only ever see one of those messages. In this version, someone has made a plugin to supposedly restore the original way the mod worked but I think something went wrong. From my experience, you do get different messages when running the same experiment twice, but somehow they aren't restricted to that biome any more. I am getting messages from time to time that are clearly meant to be displayed somewhere else. Since a lot of experiments didn't seem to get additional messages added when their application was extended (also some major versions ago), e.g. thermometer in high space (?) I have actually removed the mod from my current active modlist. So until now I haven't bothered to investigate this further and write a bug report.

If you have more clues about exactly what is happening and could write a bug report, maybe someone could "fix" the *.dll if it needs fixing.

Edited by Three_Pounds