[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

I have been unable to complete the last mission. I dont understand, I make it to space easily, re-enter and land just like all the other missions but the contract wont show "landed" or recovered" I have no idea why it wont, Everything seems fine. Its not a hard landing or anything like that. Ive tried several times, Same result every time. Anyone else have this issue?

BTW, I really enjoyed this, are there any plans to expand on it?

Edited by Kevin Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RoverDude,

Love the mod, but having problems with auto-staging - basically, that's not happening (running 0.5.4 in KSP 1.2.2).  Is there a trick to getting it to work properly?  I've tried rerooting to the nose-cone, I've tried not rerooting, I've tried with different combinations of the boosters, nothing seems to work.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Amgrod

New to KSP, so please forgive my ignorance, but I am unable to launch any sounding rockets. I built a rocket as: Payload truss (0.35m), attach SRM-L engine, attach at other end Nosecone parachute (0.35m), attach (anywhere) Avionics package. When I go to launch, my stage light is purple, which I understand means Stage Lock. I cannot turn off stage lock with the keyboard, and Stage Lock is not set for any other rocket that I put on the launch bay. Any ideas? Thanks!

Here is a screenshot of my GameData folder: http://imgur.com/a/JyFvv. I don't believe I've done anything unusual besides install a few mods via CKAN.

FWIW, I can launch a sounding rocket with a Stayputnik at the head instead of the Nosecone + Avionics.

EDIT: I fixed this issue by adding a battery. Maybe this will help another newbie.

Edited by nealpro

• 1 month later...

I'm having a weird issue where a series of Sounding Rockets that I had created to complete the Sounding Rocket Contract Pack are no longer performing as they once were in my new Career save. I have used the rockets through several saves and usually just copy and paste them from one save to the next. For some reason in my most current save, the Sounding Rockets are seriously under performing. I looked at the Changelog on GitHub and really didn't see anything to indicate that changes were made recently. I originally designed the rockets after v0.5.0 was released and as far as I can tell that was the last time any significant changes were made to anything relating to rocket performance. I have stock aero and the rockets are 100% USI, so I am really at a loss as to what may be causing this. I realize this isn't much to go off of, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working with Sounding Rockets again for the first time in a long time, but I'm encountering an issue where I don't see how to stage the fairing shells... which is making things difficult.

Sounding Rockets is one of about 63 mods being installed (all being managed via CKAN).

There's no indication on staging, nor are there any hooks that I can use for the subgroups, so I'm wondering if there's something in the config I did wrong, or if there's something that has changed and I've just missed it.

Edit:

Did a wipe and reinstall of the KSP directory and all mods, and the issue is resolved.

Edited by almagnus1

On 5/10/2016 at 11:41 PM, blnk2007 said:

I added a pull request to Real Chutes to add support for Sounding Rockets. Check out this post. The config works in both stock and FAR. If @stupid_chris doesn't add it, use this one.

@PART[SR_Nosecone_35]:NEEDS[RealChute]
{

@category = none
	@mass = 0.005
	!sound_parachute_open
	!sound_parachute_single

!MODULE[ModuleParachute]{}

MODULE
	{
		name = RealChuteModule
		caseMass = 0.005
		timer = 0
		mustGoDown = true
		cutSpeed = 0.5
		spareChutes = 1

PARACHUTE
		{
			material = Nylon
			preDeployedDiameter = 1
			deployedDiameter = 8
			minIsPressure = false
			minPressure = 0.1
			minDeployment = 6000
			deploymentAlt = 600
			cutAlt = -1
			preDeploymentSpeed = 2
			deploymentSpeed = 8
			preDeploymentAnimation = PreDeploy
			deploymentAnimation = Deploy
			parachuteName = String
			capName = Cap
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ProceduralChute
	}

EFFECTS
	{
		rcpredeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_parachute_open
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcdeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_parachute_single
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rccut
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_cut
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcrepack
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_repack
				volume = 1
			}
		}
	}
}

@PART[SR_Nosecone_625]:NEEDS[RealChute]
{

@category = none
	@mass = 0.01
	!sound_parachute_open
	!sound_parachute_single

MODULE
	{
		name = RealChuteModule
		caseMass = 0.01
		timer = 0
		mustGoDown = true
		cutSpeed = 0.5
		spareChutes = 1

PARACHUTE
		{
			material = Nylon
			preDeployedDiameter = 2
			deployedDiameter = 16
			minIsPressure = false
			minPressure = 0.1
			minDeployment = 6000
			deploymentAlt = 600
			cutAlt = -1
			preDeploymentSpeed = 2
			deploymentSpeed = 8
			parachuteName = String
			capName = Cap
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ProceduralChute
	}

EFFECTS
	{
		rcpredeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcdeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rccut
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcrepack
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}
	}
}

@PART[SR_PackChute_35]:NEEDS[RealChute]
{

@category = none
	@mass = 0.005
	!sound_parachute_open
	!sound_parachute_single
	@PhysicsSignificance = 0

MODULE
	{
		name = RealChuteModule
		caseMass = 0.005
		timer = 0
		mustGoDown = true
		cutSpeed = 0.5
		spareChutes = 1

PARACHUTE
		{
			material = Nylon
			preDeployedDiameter = 1
			deployedDiameter = 8
			minIsPressure = false
			minPressure = 0.1
			minDeployment = 6000
			deploymentAlt = 600
			cutAlt = -1
			preDeploymentSpeed = 2
			deploymentSpeed = 8
			parachuteName = String
			capName = Pack
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ProceduralChute
	}

EFFECTS
	{
		rcpredeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcdeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rccut
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcrepack
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}
	}
}

I just realized that this never made it into a release of RealChute, so Roverdude would you include it in Sounding Rockets?

EDIT

So I just tried this patch and when I stick a 0.35m nosecone on a payload and go into the AG menu the log is spammed with RealChute nullrefs. This is under v1.1.3. Have yet to test under v1.2.2

Edited by Drew Kerman

7 hours ago, voicey99 said:

The FS2G gyro apparently doesn't actually provide any SAS functionality, I have a craft with one mounted but it still refuses to engage SASThis screenshot shows what I mean, unless I'm doing something wrong.

The SAS is a function of the probe core / pilot.   The gyro is just what gives the probe core the control authority to change the crafts orientation., 

3 minutes ago, eberkain said:

The SAS is a function of the probe core / pilot.   The gyro is just what gives the probe core the control authority to change the crafts orientation., 

You're thinking of the other gyro (the Gyroscope (small)). This one is supposed to enable Stability Assist as a function of SAS (I have the flywheels elsewhere on the craft).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 9:24 PM, tomf said:

The small cube pack chute seems to be reporting its unpacked size or something in the VAB. Start a new rocket with just a core like stayputnik - the hight in the engineers report will be 1m. Attach a single pack chute to it and the height jumps to 10.7m

I'm having the exact same issue.

See this report as well: 

• 3 months later...

Last post was February. Perhaps this mod isn't as popular as I thought it might be.
I might have thought that no posts in a few months might mean that everyone was happy with this mod but the last two posts suggest otherwise.

2 hours ago, Daveroski said:

Last post was February. Perhaps this mod isn't as popular as I thought it might be.
I might have thought that no posts in a few months might mean that everyone was happy with this mod but the last two posts suggest otherwise.

Is there a point to this post?  One post from february with not much detail to help troubleshoot, plus no github issue created for it doesn't say much about anything.  Otherwise this is a pretty simple mod so the thread doesn't get/need much traffic.  The vast majority of USI mod junkies these days download the entire constellation of mods, which includes this one.

9 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Is there a point to this post?  One post from february with not much detail to help troubleshoot, plus no github issue created for it doesn't say much about anything.  Otherwise this is a pretty simple mod so the thread doesn't get/need much traffic.  The vast majority of USI mod junkies these days download the entire constellation of mods, which includes this one.

You think my post pointless and thought you would make a point of informing me. Lovely.

The posts (two) from February both point to problems that even I, having never seen the parts for this mod, would be able to find the parts referred to and quickly check to see if the points mentioned were valid. Now that would be pointless. One of the two posts I mentioned was actually corroborating an earlier post and still no reply was offered.
If other users and indeed the owner of the mod can't check these reports and either offer rebuttal or confirmation, it shows a level of apathy which gives concern.
I merely gave voice to my concern.

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

No, you're being unreasonably rude.

Probably best if you don't use the content I create then.

The two people who referenced bugs in your content were ignored. That was February. Weeks ago. You say I'm being rude?

I have nothing further to say to you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.