New stockalike inflatable habitat mod, to continue where Porkjet left off

CaptRobau

Most of you will know Porkjet's excellent Habitat Packhttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64442-Habitat-Pack. It provided the community with a type of part that was rarely seen before in KSP circles, but one that has become increasingly important for the future of manned space travel: inflatable habitats. The Habitat Pack is started to show its age. It hasn't been officially updated since 0.23.5 and there can still be a lot more done with the concept than the current number of parts in that Pack. There are other mods that have done a few inflatables, such as OKS, but they haven't captured the stock look and purpose as well as Porkjet's parts have. As such I'm putting in a request for a modder to take up the task of making a new inflatable hab pack and go above and beyond what Porkjet has already done. Ideally Porkjet would finish his great mod, but at the moment it looks like the old chap is far too busy doing all sorts of wonderful things for Squad such as the new Mk3 parts.

To help the process along I've written down some suggestion for parts. Potential additions to the part types Porkjet already made, changes to the way Porkjet implemented certain things, etc. Maybe it can get a discussion going about the subject, which will help inspire someone to do something with this request.

1.25m inflatable habitat

The way Porkjet did this is pretty much perfect. 1.25m nodes on both ends, with on one side a small airlock part with a place for Kerbals to enter/leave the hab. I think the only thing the Porkjet version missed was an IVA.

2.5m inflatable habitat

Only one critique on how Porkjet implemented this: the part has 1.25m ends, even though its core was much closer to 2.5m. This limits construction option. It simply needs to be a 2.5m version of the 1.25m design, so no tapered ends.

3.75m inflatable habitat

Where the 1.25m hab was inspired by the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module and the 2.5mish version in the Hab Pack by the BA-330, the 3.75m version could take its inspiration from the massive BA-2100. Multiple levels, a gigantic habitable volume, this thing would allow one to house at least a dozen Kerbals.

Bigelow_BA-2100_expandable_space_module.jpg

1.25m inflatable centrifuge

Porkjet's version is already spot on, so it woudn't need to be much different.

2.5m inflatable centrifuge

The 1.25m version is fine for space stations and what not, but for a spacecraft its diameter is too small. A 2.5m version would fix that.

3.75m inflatable centrifuge

Necessary to make something cool like this:

Space_Station_V.jpg

Anyone else have any ideas what kind of inflatables would benefit the community?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also love to see a 2-3 part set of 3.75m Hab units (like Mars Direct art). Think larger things that are vaguely like the Mk2 landercan. One floor per cylinder. One is cockpit/hab. 2d would be fuel and a cargo area with a working (drivable) ramp to hold a rover. A 3d might be some sort of related inflatable, or perhaps another solid type for variation.

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, ISE said:

If only somebody would continue his pack ;.; I miss that sexy centrifuge 

From what I've seen digging into his work porkjet was a wizard at uv mapping so the old models should still be fairly serviceable by modern modding standards all they'd need is some texture refurbishment... And maybe normal maps if you are feeling bold.

You could probably try learning the art yourself as an introduction to mod making

13 hours ago, Alshain said:

Somebody is.

I know, I follow that thread  and the SSTU thread, they both have promising inflatables. But @Porkjet teased us with some very sexy imgur pics of his revamped habitat pack. I just wish he had released it, if it was ever alive. But from the looks of it, SSTU is the future of inflatable parts for KSP :) Thank You @Shadowmage keep it up! Love your SSTU mod pack :sticktongue: And @Tokamak with your refurbished parts and sexy lookin IVAs

Edited by ISE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.