A Sneak Peek at KSP: Beta Than Ever

SQUAD

Editor Overhaul?!? WAHOO!

Can't wait to start building better ships. Didn't they also change the way part clipping works? I remember hearing that now it only does not allow you to attach to stack nodes, and parts can overlap by any amount.

"Every rocky body has biomes"

Asteroids are rocky bodies. So do they have biomes?

Actually Asteroids are parts. Specifically, they're science parts. They're not functionally different (regarding science collection) as a thermometer is. They can't have biomes for the same reason a thermometer can't have biomes.

(I know you mean "in the lore of the world" but the answer is still no)

I see you didn't take the complaint of several people seriously, it's still that hard to understand guy presenting the video.

I don't know what you are talking about: I haven't read the whole thread (and I'm not going to), but I'm going to assume you are referring to Mike's accent, and I guess that (as usual) people are apparently expecting an american accent from a Mexican citizen. To this I can only reply "who cares": if a non native english speaker (me) can understand him just fine, so can others (especially americans and british).

And my list was actually a reference to a meme, not to the thread.

Okay. I must say that update looks absolutely great.

In my opinion, the editor overhaul was not an option, and you completely made it as it was meant to be done. The new groups should help a lot when it gets to looking for parts, so I won't be finding myself in an annoying quest for an specific piece anymore, and the new gyzmos are just great.

I hope those cool biome maps are not just some sort of designer tool, and are added to the game, it's the most frustrating part of planet exploration, not being able to plan ahead you landing points.

Everything else looks just great, it seems that there will be a bunch of nice new features in this version, can'twait to put my hands on it.

Either next thursday or just before Xmas. That's how it went before. By Christmas, it'll almost certainly be out. If there's one thing Squad knows how to do, it's advertising.

1) Add two docking ports orthogonal to the main command pod

2) Select "control from here"

3) ????

4) Profit!

Congratulations, you have cheated the xp system to hold other vectors that your pilot is not supposed to be able to hold.

SQUAD, I love this game, I really do: that's why I wish you were not so lazy with your game design choices...

Except that holding a single vector says nothing about avoiding rotation around that vector. So you could be spinning and have your "control from here" port always pointing at prograde, whilst the real front of your vessel (and your engines) may spend as long facing radial-out as radial-in, and as long facing normal and anti-normal.

That's assuming that the hold facility just holds the required vector and doesn't prevent rotation.

What happened to the barn and trailer park that we saw in the preview? I honestly prefer that one to the one detailed in the above video.

I must say that the buildings we saw in that video were nowhere near the quality of the buildings that got ripped to pieces by the forum when we saw the tier 1 buildings.

I actually quite liked the barn concept. The buildings looked fine to me as I mostly see them from a rocket on it`s way to space...

It would be different if we could walk from outside to inside and see the craft being constructed piece by piece but we cannot so there is a sensible limit on polygons, textures and so forth so that people with lower spec machines can still get a good framerate.

Except that holding a single vector says nothing about avoiding rotation around that vector. So you could be spinning and have your "control from here" port always pointing at prograde, whilst the real front of your vessel (and your engines) may spend as long facing radial-out as radial-in, and as long facing normal and anti-normal.

That's assuming that the hold facility just holds the required vector and doesn't prevent rotation.

That's a good point. Even if it held rotation (which I imagine it does) setting the correct rotation may be a real hassle. Further, pilots are probably getting upgraded the most anyway, it'll be passive XP Gen, so a full level pilot should be relatively simple to get as long as you actually bring them home.

I personally don't like the look of that space shuttle. It looks nice, don't get me wrong, but it's just copy-pasted real-life space shuttle cockpit. So far KSP has been all about analogues, stuff that looks a lot like, but isn't just quite. This is an exact replica. I would like better, if they took the gorgeous KSO cockpit and implemented that.

Edited by Las-pen

Exact replica? Watch the video again. Or better, check out B9 Aerospace, which has some very similar parts. It's clearly based on the Shuttle cockpit, but is most definitely not an exact replica. For one, the Shuttle had an (almost) flat bottom, while this thing here has a rounded bottom. Other differences are smaller, but clearly noticeable to anyone who seen the actual Shuttle. There are clear differences from the real thing. It resembles a Shuttle cockpit about as much as Mk1-2 Pod resembles Apollo CM. A lot, but it's not a replica.

I think that cockpit is a very good compromise between gamey and realistic. I wish all stock parts were made with this philosphy in mind and in a similar style.

I hope all of those parts are using the Bumped Specular shader, because I imagine some modders might want to make some (photo)realistic textures for all the parts one day.

It resembles a Shuttle cockpit about as much as Mk1-2 Pod resembles Apollo CM. A lot, but it's not a replica.

Exactly this, and like Jumbo tank, stayputnik and entire SLS

I think that cockpit is a very good compromise between gamey and realistic. I wish all stock parts were made with this philosphy in mind and in a similar style.

THIS would be my dream! I really hope a full revamp of stock parts

I hope they will be remade at some point. NASA SLS is already a step in that direction, though texture quality is a bit lacking in some places (IMO, they should be as sharp as KW ones, at least) and tank butts still firmly hold onto engines. :) The other stock parts look rather dated at this point, and I hope they hire someone (maybe Ven?) to fix that after they're done with spaceplanes.

Why does the mk3 not have a proper nose again?

EDIT: HYPE!!

If you're asking why the MK3 doesn't have a nose cone part as an option, then I don't know. I'f you're asking why the nose cone area hasn't been sealed and made unavailable for people to use the part who want to use it for something other than 1-1 shuttle recreations, then the answer is again that I don't know. If you could clarify which question you want answered, it's possible that someone knowledge will reply

Everything about the new update exceeded my expectations and has me hyped except for the new buildings. From what I saw in the video, they don't really look that good. Seriously, no offense, but the low tier VAB resembles the Kabbah at Makkah. I'm guessing the buildings only look that way in the video because of the vantage point or other reasons.

EDIT: I watched the video again and the buildings do look pretty good, but the VAB doesn't look that great.

Edited by mythbusters844

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.