[1.1.2] [v1.3.0] Science Funding: career mode with no contracts! (2 may 2016)

Ippo

This plugin will give you funds and reputation for each science report you transmit or bring back to the KSC, thus enabling you to play career without having to deal with the contracts.

Download from SpaceDock or Github. The source code is available on Github in the public domain. The v1.3.0 update is all johnqevil's work: a big thank you for updating the mod in my absence! :)

Customize the amount of funds / rep by editing the settings.cfg file right next to the dll (they are proportional to the science points).

No pics, no clicks? No care.

Edited by Ippo
KSP 1.1.2

Don't want to be a buzz kill here but if you do want the science but don't want to be bothered with money. Why don't you play your game in science mode?

Straight from the wiki:

Game Modes

• Career- complete contracts to earn funds and reputation, and collect science to unlock parts.
  • Science- collect science to unlock parts, without the financial restrictions of career mode.
  • Sandbox- build freely with no restrictions and no need to unlock parts.

Soo...questions: how does this work exactly? Is is just a straight bonus where for every science you gain, you get some fund + rep? Or is it based on individual science report and you get more or less cash based on the different biomes reports?

Is it farmable, as in you can repeatedly send back reports or things to fund your program, or once you exhaust your science, your income is gone?

This is interesting, and sure could work well with that one other mod where you get government funding everyday (and pay salary for kerbals).

Soo...questions: how does this work exactly? Is is just a straight bonus where for every science you gain, you get some fund + rep?

Yep: simple, straightforward bonus for every science report. Whenever you receive X science points (either transmitted or recovered) you gain (fundsMult * X) funds and (repMult * X) rep points.

The default config has a funds multiplier of 2000, so if you receive 1 science point, this plugin will give you 2000 funds too. In my save I lowered it to 800 by the way, 2000 is waaay on the easy side.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad mod, but... you do understand that science points is a finite resource, right? You may add some with mods like DMagic, but eventually you will end up with no funds, simply because you've already grinded all available science. Which means end of your career.

To each his own, I guess...

Look up an estimate of the amount of science points in stock KSP: there should be about 70 thousand, which are easily 100 thousands with Dmagic and Interstellar. Finite, but not scarce. If you manage to finish them off... Contracts.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad mod, but... you do understand that science points is a finite resource, right? You may add some with mods like DMagic, but eventually you will end up with no funds, simply because you've already grinded all available science. Which means end of your career.

To each his own, I guess...

Combined with a mod like station science and dmagic, science should be virtually unlimited.

This mod really brings us back closer to the sandboxy fun of the earlier game.

Look up an estimate of the amount of science points in stock KSP: there should be about 70 thousand, which are easily 100 thousands with Dmagic and Interstellar. Finite, but not scarce. If you manage to finish them off... Contracts.

And, if that's not enough, you can always add custom biomes. Or in 0.90 the additional biomes they are adding to all of the other rocky planets.

This. This is what I have been looking for.

Sure, it's fun being told to go make a spacestation around Moho. But what if I want to set up a Jool-5 interorbital fuel infrastructure, huh?

(That said, I'm still going to play with stock contracts for my first playthough in 0.90, to check it out.)

And, if that's not enough, you can always add custom biomes. Or in 0.90 the additional biomes they are adding to all of the other rocky planets.

Although (as noted) the amount of science is really insane (100k science * 1000 = 100M in funds) and thus it's definitely not scarce, the idea is to eventually progress to a kethane / karbonite mining scheme to sustain the program.

I simply refuse to acknowledge the existence of the stock game and therefore any remark that assumes the lack of an ISRU mod is simply nonsense to me.

Finally, I made this mod because *I* am annoyed by the contracts: if you like the contracts, you don't need this mod. Also, you are weird.

Well, now no one need the science to fund admin building strategy anymore. I wonder though, what happens if I use the fund to science strategy? I might lose about 35 fund for 1 science for that strategy, but if that 1 science is counted for this mod...I would make a lot more money in return. That is going to amplify the effect a lot.

Well, now no one need the science to fund admin building strategy anymore. I wonder though, what happens if I use the fund to science strategy? I might lose about 35 fund for 1 science for that strategy, but if that 1 science is counted for this mod...I would make a lot more money in return. That is going to amplify the effect a lot.

That policy was massively unbalanced anyway if I remember correctly.

Some kind of strategy policy overhaul is probably in order for this mod though.

Whatever mechanism you use, though, I really do feel like the game needs to respond to the objectives YOU set for yourself, and not the other way around though.

I like this. I was going to just use strategies to do it, but this gives an alternative method. I will check it out.

OMG Taranis likes a mod I made! :D *squees*

I learned how to make plugins thanks to your tutorials :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.