[1.1.2] [v1.3.0] Science Funding: career mode with no contracts! (2 may 2016)

Ippo

Hello everyone! It has come to my attention that this mod is a lot more popular than I thought it would be. 85 people like it enough to be bothered by emails about updates and yesterday it had more than 300 downloads. I would have never expected it: thank you, everyone! I really mean it :)

Now, the first iteration was just a quick dirty fix for a problem I had. Now, since you like it so much, I'd like to take it into "proper mod" territory.

But I'm not sure how, so it's suggestions time! Let me know what you think I should add, or what is missing.

An idea I had is to make the reports periodical: for example, the funds and rep would be unlocked every n days generating a single report instead of the current spam-fest. How does this sound?

tl;dr: I want to hear your feature requests.

Thats nice! To add a bit more depth you could delay the inventive until a certain amount of science has been generated. Bonusses if done within a certain amount of time etc. Scientist in real life probably get targets as well.

Although for some people using this mod to avoid the grind/hussle this may sound like a contract/obligation too much.

I mostly agree. It does what it does well, without a bunch of complication. Maybe two small things I'd change. Maybe some kind of simple interface to tweak the config values without editing a file. And the default values seem massively unbalanced. You accumulate far, far too much in funds and rep, IMO. So I'd probably dial that back a bit by default.

That said, editing the file is simple, so these are not huge issues. Not sure I entirely like waiting to get the funds/rep. On the other hand, you really do get a lot of notifications. Maybe just a combined report in one batch, when you return?

Thanks for a mod which really makes career a lot of fun for me. I appreciate it. :)

On the surface, it sounds good. Having to wait X days between payments seems reasonable. However, time limits may not be quite right. We're looking at a situation where players go from first launch to multiple Mun/Minmus missions in a few days. Perhaps any delay should be built around getting Y science before triggering the payout.

I'd love to see it tied to each mission, where you don't get the payout until you've completed the mission. The problem with that is everyone's definition of "mission" is different, and automatically detecting the end of a mission would be problematic. The best I can think of right now is triggering the payout when the vessel/Kerbal that generated the science is recovered. The issue with that is things like bases and stations that aren't meant to be recovered, or probes that don't return.

I think the best solution at this point is to leave it as-is, unless there's some way to work around those problems. If you wish to add a time delayed "summary", I think making it no more than a day between payouts might be best.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this mod. I had to lower the income by a half to make it not feel like cheating and said goodbye to contracts, yay.

You should probably implement getting funds from ScienceLab science transmission, at like 25% rate.

How does this mod interact with Kerbal Construction Time? In KCT, you can purchase "R&D" facilities that generate free science for every ship you build. So with Ippo's mod + KCT, conceivably you'd (1) spend bucks to build ship, (2) finish ship and receive free science via KCT, and at the same time (3) get a refund based on the science you just earned. Not game-breaking by any means, but as you say earlier in this thread, one might want to tweak default the fund/rep gains.

At the start of a new career I use the transfer window planner to add alarms for every transfer window. Then I do mun/minmus missions until the first one comes up. It doesn't take a whole lot of science to pay for the mission and more.

Sounds good. Your post prompted me to learn more about Transfer Window Planner. Sounds like a must-have! I use Kerbal Alarm Clock and PreciseNode, but I still have trouble getting intercepts for interplanetary transfers. Off to the TWP thread to learn more.

• 1 month later...
it doesn't work with 1.0.4, it prevent rockets to be recovered from kerbin:(

any plans for an update ?

Uh, that's unfortunate. I will update it, but please somebody send me a PM on sunday to do it or there's no way I'll remember to do it.

• 1 month later...

I vote for less message spammage. Much less. Clicking through 70+ messages is getting tedious, and that is just after a couple of days in Kerbin orbit. Based on past experience, it will be even worse after a trip around just Mun. Maybe a single message for each day?

it doesn't work with 1.0.4, it prevent rockets to be recovered from kerbin:(

any plans for an update ?

whaa..? ive always been using it and never had a problem. you sure it isnt a different mod causing that?

• 2 weeks later...
I vote for less message spammage. Much less. Clicking through 70+ messages is getting tedious, and that is just after a couple of days in Kerbin orbit. Based on past experience, it will be even worse after a trip around just Mun. Maybe a single message for each day?

Yeah it's the only drawback of this mod. I had a mothership coming back from a mission around the Mün filled with science reports from almost all the biomes with all the science stuff vanilla, Sounding Rockets and DMagic... Man! I had over FOUR HUNDRED messages to delete. :confused: And I'm used to have more than 150 science reports...

2hgh0r6.png

358431i.png

23tm4gz.png

So an option to remove them all in one click would be VERY appreciated. Nevertheless I can't play career without this mod :D

Edited by Vahal

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.2.0 is out now!

I finally implemented the message queue. You will only get a message every n reports, where n is configurable in the options.

0 science reports are filtered out: thanks Taowulf!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.