[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

@nablabla Do you have more avionics than just the Octo probe core?  I think that core only gives you a 1t avionics limit and while I don't see your vehicle mass anywhere, my guess is you've got more than a 1t craft.

Even though you may not be using it, check MechJeb's ascent guidance and make sure you don't have anything selected that might be shutting your engine down.  I noticed in my game that if I have the "Limit throttle to Xm/s" set, even with a manual launch, the engines would shut down (since they can't throttle) once I hit that limit.

Before launching, are you controlling the rocket from the probe or from the capsule.  Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Edited by chrisl

The capsule supports 100t and there is a bigger package in the first stage. So yes there is enough avionics (also no warning about it)

I tried to make the octo core the root part, same result. I cannot select the octo probe core, because its hidden, I will let it stick out and try that. But I remember that I did the same thing with the mk1 pod and it worked fine. Just an unmanned mk1 pod and an okto-core on top

EDIT: I just restarted the game (RT still off) problem gone o.O but with RT on it says connected and still does not work

Edited by nablabla

@nablablaI believe the 100t avionics from the capsule only counts when the capsule in manned.  Since you're launching without a crew you're limited to the 1t from the probe core and whatever other unmanned avionics you've got included.  Of course, if you're not seeing the notice about insufficient avionics in the "Flight Results" windows, that's not the issue.  What about your ascent guidance window?  Do you have anything there checked? 

Oh.  Very weird.

I do not have mech jeb installed.

the octo probe core as 100kg of avionics.

The vessel is 203t, and the big avionics package on the first stage can handle 300t

There is also no warning or anything, I cant even stage

Control from here (from the probe core does not help it)

when I disable Remote tech a lot of weired things happen (can control but not stage)

Edited by nablabla

4 hours ago, nablabla said:

I do not have mech jeb installed.

Are you sure about that?  Looking at the screenshot you included in your post, one of he buttons on the right hand side of the screen says "MJ".  Looks exactly like the MechJeb button I have on my screen.

oh, apparently it looks like I got mechjeb installed

EDIT: so now I havn't but the problem ist still there. Rocket starts, rocket decouples, rocket enters brick mode

Edited by nablabla

I'm at a loss then.  Do you have a craft file you could make available?  Can't say for sure I'll figure out the issue with it, but at this point it's the only other option I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...

So I started playing this again after upgrading my machine.

I assume 1.1.3 is the latest version RP-0 works with? Any idea if/when it will be upgraded to 1.2?

Also, I used to play with FASA which is not listed in ckan as 1.1.3 compatible. I can't get an answer on their thread if it works or not, anyone know?

@harlikwin correct, KSP 1.1.3 is the latest KSP version that RP-0 works. And the update for the next KSP version will be ready SoonTM.

FASA is not officially listed due to some bugs from the KSP 0.90 --> KSP 1.0 update. You can download it from the official RO repository though. Be careful with the landing legs because they have not been updated yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really an RP-0 question.  I was just trying to get to the Realism Overhaul forum thread but keep getting a page saying "We could not locate the item you are trying to view."  Anyone know what's up?

17 minutes ago, chrisl said:

Not really an RP-0 question.  I was just trying to get to the Realism Overhaul forum thread but keep getting a page saying "We could not locate the item you are trying to view."  Anyone know what's up?

This is probably a better place to ask this kind of question. Anyway, main thread seems to be deleted, no idea why. I can only hope it has something to do with the new release.

Oh, it appears to be a common issue. See here.

Edited by Sol Invictus

I have a problem with my contract system. Since the many Mods of RO and RP-0 might be screwing things up I'm asking here.

The game doesn't recognize contract achievement. It gets a lot of milestones but always misses the ones that would finish a contract by getting somewhere, like "reach intended orbit" (if that's timed the clock doesn't even start) or "flyby mars", that sort of thing. I can manually finish contracts in the save file, but that's very annoying.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

I'm running KSP 1.1.3, RO 11.3.2, RP-0 0.51, Contract Configurator 1.19.0, Contract parser 4.0, CapCom-Mission Control on the go 2.4 and loads more mods, these were just the ones I thought might be relevant.

Thank you very much!

Edited by Warp11

On 1/10/2017 at 5:56 PM, Warp11 said:

I have a problem with my contract system. Since the many Mods of RO and RP-0 might be screwing things up I'm asking here.

The game doesn't recognize contract achievement. It gets a lot of milestones but always misses the ones that would finish a contract by getting somewhere, like "reach intended orbit" (if that's timed the clock doesn't even start) or "flyby mars", that sort of thing. I can manually finish contracts in the save file, but that's very annoying.

I'm running KSP 1.1.3, RO 11.3.2, RP-0 0.51, Contract Configurator 1.19.0, Contract parser 4.0, CapCom-Mission Control on the go 2.4 and loads more mods, these were just the ones I thought might be relevant.

Thank you very much!

Yeah I get this with certain contracts, like the 3 man low lunar orbit ones.  If you go to the cheats menu though, you can finish contracts from there, no need to save edit

On 11/01/2017 at 4:56 AM, Warp11 said:

Thank you very much!

The contracts for flybys, loitering in orbits, and landings all require you to launch a new vehicle after you accept them. Are you sure that you're doing it, and is the 'launch new vessel' checkbox ticked in the contract overview when these issues (like timer not starting) happen? 

Edited by nanomage

Random questions for the Rocketeers.

I'm reasonably along on a RP-0 career. I'm playing as Kermany launching out of the Algerian desert, and I have the starting level VAB, but I can't seem to buy any upgrade points for a second build slot (which would be useful about now). I can upgrade the first intial build rate though. Do i need a second level VAB?

Also, with regards to "film" missions, Is there at some point a way to just radio the information back, its not terribly practical to do film return missions from Venus? I know the K7 reflectron claims it was used to send live video back from the moon (per the description), but it it seems the data rate is way too slow to use with the original film pod. Is there a later camera or better antenna I need to use?

1 hour ago, harlikwin said:

I'm reasonably along on a RP-0 career. I'm playing as Kermany launching out of the Algerian desert, and I have the starting level VAB, but I can't seem to buy any upgrade points for a second build slot (which would be useful about now). I can upgrade the first intial build rate though. Do i need a second level VAB?

IIRC, you need to update the VAB to get secondary build rates.

12 hours ago, harlikwin said:

Also, with regards to "film" missions, Is there at some point a way to just radio the information back, its not terribly practical to do film return missions from Venus? I know the K7 reflectron claims it was used to send live video back from the moon (per the description), but it it seems the data rate is way too slow to use with the original film pod. Is there a later camera or better antenna I need to use?

that's just the way return film camera experiment is configured - transmittable science returns are 1% or so even if you mod in an antenna fast enough to transmit the package in time to not be hit by the 'transmitted science not adding up to total count' issue. You'll always have to do a return with those.

in dMagic orbital science, there's an 'orbital telescope' experiment that's transmittable and rp-0 approved.

Technically this should probably go with RO and not RP-0 but since there doesn't seem to be an RO thread right now, I wasn't sure where else to bring this up.

Anyway, I recently found some documentation that implies that the J-2 engine used on the S-IVB stage of the Saturn V (S-IVB-500) did not have the same thrust as the J-2 engine used on the S-II stage of the Saturn V nor the S-IVB stage used on the Saturn 1B (S-IVB-200).  Based on the thrust rating I'm seeing (876 vac), the closest in game engine I can find is the "J-2-200klbf" (and one mission report I read actually stated that the Saturn V S-IVB had 204,000 pounds of thrust) but the test flight setup for this engine only allows it to burn for 135s before it fails.  The J-2 on the Saturn V lunar flights had to burn for as much as 515s (Apollo 17).  Is there any reason we have the test flight data for the J-2-200klbf set so low?

2 hours ago, chrisl said:

Technically this should probably go with RO and not RP-0 but since there doesn't seem to be an RO thread right now, I wasn't sure where else to bring this up.

Anyway, I recently found some documentation that implies that the J-2 engine used on the S-IVB stage of the Saturn V (S-IVB-500) did not have the same thrust as the J-2 engine used on the S-II stage of the Saturn V nor the S-IVB stage used on the Saturn 1B (S-IVB-200).  Based on the thrust rating I'm seeing (876 vac), the closest in game engine I can find is the "J-2-200klbf" (and one mission report I read actually stated that the Saturn V S-IVB had 204,000 pounds of thrust) but the test flight setup for this engine only allows it to burn for 135s before it fails.  The J-2 on the Saturn V lunar flights had to burn for as much as 515s (Apollo 17).  Is there any reason we have the test flight data for the J-2-200klbf set so low?

Open up an issue in the RO github page: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/issues/new

Hello all, thanks for working on such a great mod(s)

I spent rather a few hours installing it over the weekend on 1.1.3. It's pretty great, having to unlearn quite a few things, and learn quite a few more.

I haven't managed to get Taerobee working. Game stalls when loading Taerobee_decoupler. Is it important or can I play without it?

Hi @HeartofGold

I never have encountered this issue, does the name of the Taerobee decoupler contains NonRP0 or NonRO (or something like that) ?
Because in such case, the part is not configured for RO or RP0 and so, you shouldn't use it.

I would aslo recommend to you to use the procedural interstage bases and fairings. They are much more versatile than the other decouplers.

12 minutes ago, hargn said:

Hi @HeartofGold

I never have encountered this issue, does the name of the Taerobee decoupler contains NonRP0 or NonRO (or something like that) ?
Because in such case, the part is not configured for RO or RP0 and so, you shouldn't use it.

I would aslo recommend to you to use the procedural interstage bases and fairings. They are much more versatile than the other decouplers.

I'm not actually sure. The game stalls in the loading screen (this one, not my picture) when it says loading the part " Taerobee-decoupler" I tried installing Taerobee both from CKAN and from github and it stalled at the same place. 

Maybe when I get home I'll try to delete that part manually. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Would people recommend deleting non-RP0 parts from their games?