Bring Back the Barn!

Playing the beta i got to say in really sad that the level one tier looks like bland and boring. I was excited to to see the barn in the preview. It fitted the game really well and kept the tone of the game where it has always been. Roninpawn puts it better than i can

Playing the beta i got to say in really sad that the level one tier looks like bland and boring. I was excited to to see the barn in the preview. It fitted the game really well and kept the tone of the game where it has always been. Roninpawn puts it better than i can

I think it's supposed to be coming back with some modifications unless that changed, I've been out of touch for about a month now. Personally I think it makes no sense to have a farm with a launch pad and no runway. Farms have runways for crop dusting, they don't have launchpads. If they don't put a runway and some form of SPH on it, they can keep it and I don't want it.

I think it's supposed to be coming back with some modifications unless that changed, I've been out of touch for about a month now. Personally I think it makes no sense to have a farm with a launch pad and no runway. Farms have runways for crop dusting, they don't have launchpads. If they don't put a runway and some form of SPH on it, they can keep it and I don't want it.

I understand people saying it not realistic but that’s not the point of the game it’s supposed to be a fun and slightly silly space sim. The barn and trailer park really fit in with that. The stuff they have now just doesn’t fit in with the quality that squad has shown time and time again. These knew building are just boring and lacking KSP flavor. I really hope that they are just place holders. I keep hearing but I haven’t seen a link to squad saying that.

I understand people saying it not realistic but that’s not the point of the game it’s supposed to be a fun and slightly silly space sim. The barn and trailer park really fit in with that. The stuff they have now just doesn’t fit in with the quality that squad has shown time and time again. These knew building are just boring and lacking KSP flavor. I really hope that they are just place holders. I keep hearing but I haven’t seen a link to squad saying that.

What on earth are you talking about? It doesn't fit with quality? Did you even see the barn? It was 2000s era graphics. KSP flavour? Tone? What is that exactly? Because it sure as hell isn't the barn. Let's raise the standards to something approaching the final tier buildings or Porkjets excellent parts, shall we? Seriously this kind of thinking seems a little short sighted.

I dread the idea of having to look at that barn every time I load the game. It'll entertain me for exactly a femtosecond, (wooptie do, Kerbals are so silly) and then I'll start wishing the buildings were modable, which they're not. The current buildings are at least ok to look at. Bac9s buildings are actually nice to look at.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

The barn will be coming back. The devs said the textures and models weren't good enough to add to 0.90. They'll be updating them and adding them to a later release.

EDIT: I just read that the future of the Barn is currently unknown but the devs will be looking into it when they start developing the next releases.

Edited by bdito

You misunderstand me. I don't care that it's not realistic. I care that it restricts the use of mods in early stages to rocket ones only. If a plane parts pack wants to add tier 1-3 parts, it should be able to and not be restricted by the fact there is no SPH or runway. I like the Barn, but only if it has an SPH and runway of some kind.

You misunderstand me. I don't care that it's not realistic. I care that it restricts the use of mods in early stages to rocket ones only. If a plane parts pack wants to add tier 1-3 parts, it should be able to and not be restricted by the fact there is no SPH or runway. I like the Barn, but only if it has an SPH and runway of some kind.

To be fair the devs never said there wouldn't be a SPH or runway. It was just a work in progress sampling. The final version could have had them. Even in their sample pics they had a plane flying around.

To be fair the devs never said there wouldn't be a SPH or runway. It was just a work in progress sampling. The final version could have had them. Even in their sample pics they had a plane flying around.

Maxmaps said it in Squadcast when the images were revealed. He said there wasn't a runway because you didn't need one at that level. Maybe he was mistaken, but he is a dev.

I gotta be honest... I loved the barn. I read B9's critique of it, and while it was valid, I personally am not very artistically minded and don't have a trained eye for these things, so it honestly looked just fine to me. Oh, this texture was scaled by 1/4th and this roof panel is sunk in too deep. I don't give a &%@# as I'm not even zoomed in that far 99% of the time.

Maxmaps said it in Squadcast when the images were revealed. He said there wasn't a runway because you didn't need one at that level. Maybe he was mistaken, but he is a dev.

Ok. I never saw the squadcast. I stand corrected.

I felt the people complaining about the barns were being hyper critical of the art. The barns and the trailers were neat, and had a fun feel to them. The look wasn't 100% there yet, but was PERFECT for a first pass! (You know, first pass. Like Alpha? Like... the final touches to the FIRST things put into the game?) The current lvl 0 buildings look... utterly meh. Boring. Little bricks. So tiny, you can barely see most of them from the KSC view. They're not inspiring at all. I don't want to down Squad's work there, but I very much feel that they caved to the vocal minority that loves to complain about everything Squad does.

There are graphical mistakes on this version of the KSC, btw. The current one. In the game now. Guess what? This happens. Considering the Barn's graphics *WHERE* first pass, it was unsurprising they weren't perfect yet!

Personally, I sat on the sidelines during the whole barn thing. Squad showed us this thing, and tons of people jumped down their throat about it. I wanted to play in barns. I didn't care if the graphics weren't perfect. I didn't feel the need to voice my opinion and suddenly we weren't getting gameplay content.

I've decided from now on when people complain and whine and act like 3 year olds, that I'll state my opinion as well. I would have rather had the barns than not. I would have rather had 4 tiers of buildings than 3. I would have taken them with pure white textures. Or the textures they had. I don't care, because unlike so many here I know that they're going to get another pass, and I'd rather have the game content now than have every single pixel be up to the high standards of our "community."

So yeah. #BringBackTheBarn.

EDIT: I just read that the future of the Barn is currently unknown but the devs will be looking into it when they start developing the next releases.

Do you have a source on that?

Edit: Thanks, I missed that.

Edited by razark

Do you have a source on that?

Yeah, It's written in the Beta Than Ever FAQ here (about half way down):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/323-The-KSP-Beta-Than-Ever-FAQ

What happened to the barn?

The barn tier of buildings were initially introduced to the community as the first tier of buildings that would be encountered in Beta Than Ever. However, both the community and the KSP team both agreed that more work needed to be done on them, so a decision was made to leave that tier out of this update. The status of the barn is currently unknown, but will be touched on internally once development on the next update has begun.

I loved the abandoned Barn/junkyard. It reminds me of the pioneering days of rocketry. I do not agree that the artwork was dreadful, but I am not an expert in graphic criticism. I may have overlooked the texture issues because I thought the whole idea of starting a grass roots space program was fun.

I'd hate to think that they may not incorporate it.

#BringBackTheBarn

I loved the abandoned Barn/junkyard. It reminds me of the pioneering days of rocketry.

That's my problem with it. It fits with low tech level, just starting out, maybe a sounding rocket into the upper atmosphere type space program. The craptastic look does not fit with a program capable of launching Mercury or Vostok level flights. If we could start off with uncrewed rockets and work our way up, it's not as bad.

As for the graphics, I'm more interested in flying than sitting and gazing at the buildings.

#BringBackTheBarn(ButInAWayThatMakesSense!)

Personally, I sat on the sidelines during the whole barn thing. Squad showed us this thing, and tons of people jumped down their throat about it. I wanted to play in barns. I didn't care if the graphics weren't perfect. I didn't feel the need to voice my opinion and suddenly we weren't getting gameplay content.

I've decided from now on when people complain and whine and act like 3 year olds, that I'll state my opinion as well. I would have rather had the barns than not. I would have rather had 4 tiers of buildings than 3. I would have taken them with pure white textures. Or the textures they had. I don't care, because unlike so many here I know that they're going to get another pass, and I'd rather have the game content now than have every single pixel be up to the high standards of our "community."

So yeah. #BringBackTheBarn.

I don't understand this point of view. Other than catering to impatient players, there's little sense in doing something twice.

I do not agree that the artwork was dreadful, but I am not an expert in graphic criticism. I may have overlooked the texture issues because I thought the whole idea of starting a grass roots space program was fun.

#BringBackTheBarn

you don't need to be an "expert in graphic criticism", you just need eyes. they were sub par models and the textures were worse. sorry if I'm being overly negative but its just really frustrating that people insist on defending them. They were not good enough and the community reacted accordingly.

The idea of the farm/junk yard/industrial site had merit, I've got no issue with that part.

This whole turd vortex would never have spun up if squad had consulted some proven, artistically capable modders like bac9 or Porkjet before showing anything to the community.

I like the barn and fully support the #BringBackTheBarn movement! It has this nice kerbal touch of pioneers. I can totally imagine Wernher von Kerman (who was actually a farmer in this case) coming up with a new idea to get the fertilizer on his fields - and thus KSP was born. He just took this fuel tank, strapped a seat on it, made a small fire to start the fuel burning and off we go!

This is not (or shoudn't) a government funded space program like NASA! KSP has to do contracts to get things done, they are pioneers and researcher finding new things... the barn is perfect in showing that. I honestly can't see the problem at all. You don't like the barn? No problem: just a few flights and contracts and you can upgrade your stuff. :sticktongue:

Ugghhhh,... for everyone still whining about the graphics, once again, let me help you:

From Maxmaps, emphasis mine:

On the feedback though, there is more to be said. We had communications issues regarding the state of the models that we showed you and ended up picking work that wasn’t really ready to showcase. We have been working hard at Squad to up the graphical standard the KSP community deserves and displaying roughly the earliest 20% of the work that so far had been done as the culmination of it was not the right way to go about it.

Helpful hint: When you get a sneak preview, don't automatically assume its ready for release and go all Rainman on the graphics.

Edited by Pthigrivi

I think the level 1 KSC would look alot better if the buildings weren't all so far away.

It's just so glaringly obvious that the buildings are supposed to be upgraded.

Now I realize that it has to be this way because the building locations are still the same for all levels, it's just a different model. But they could do a much better job of hiding it if they ditched all the roads that don't go anywhere.

For example, ditch all the roads outlining the eventual R&D center, and it'll actually LOOK small

I don't understand this point of view. Other than catering to impatient players, there's little sense in doing something twice.

They're doing it twice anyway, as they already did it once and now they have to do it again. And then probalby do a final pass on THAT. So the griping caused them to do it 3 times.

So feel free to not understand my point of view. I'll voice it to Squad at every opportunity anyway.

I think the level 1 KSC would look alot better if the buildings weren't all so far away.

YES. Everything is centered around the VAB anyway. The runway, launchpad, admin building and SPH are disconnected but everything else's models could be shifted toward the VAB and make the space center look much more compact.

Everything this guy said, it really echoes my thought about the tier 1. The concept would perfectly fits the Kerbals IMO so yes, I would love to see these models back in the game. There was just too much thought put on this by the devs, it'd be sad if it was for nothing, heck the tier 1 won't be seen this long so having a very thoughtful and funny ksc would be great..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.