Bring Back the Barn!

Those who hate the barn: it is being reworked.

Those who love the barn: it is coming back.

Everybody: please remember other forum members are not your enemies, and keep these discussions civil.

Awesome.

And we are being civil, for the most part. Some tempers flared, responses were made in a level-headed fashion, tempers cooled, hands were shaken. Consensus has been reached inasmuch as is possible: We want the Barn, and we're sure that Squad will do their best to make it up to the standards of the rest of their (very awesome) work.

I think it's supposed to be coming back with some modifications unless that changed, I've been out of touch for about a month now. Personally I think it makes no sense to have a farm with a launch pad and no runway. Farms have runways for crop dusting, they don't have launchpads. If they don't put a runway and some form of SPH on it, they can keep it and I don't want it.

Maybe on Kerbin, farms have launch pads, not runways.

Random runway/launchpad/sph/vab thought:

If the "launchpad" is just a flat area (which I think it wasn't, but it makes sense considering what we start with now is about as complex as a pitcher's mound and that'll be tier 2) and the VAB has the ability to make planes, then no, you don't need a runway. Just make your plane and put it on the flat launch pad.

Random runway/launchpad/sph/vab thought:

If the "launchpad" is just a flat area (which I think it wasn't, but it makes sense considering what we start with now is about as complex as a pitcher's mound and that'll be tier 2) and the VAB has the ability to make planes, then no, you don't need a runway. Just make your plane and put it on the flat launch pad.

The flat launchpad isn't long enough for a plane to take off or land. All we need is a dirt road/field where the current runway is for tier 1, and the current tier 1 can be tier 2. I'm a big proponent of a revision to the tech tree that allows at minimum three styles of career start because I want to play 'The Wright Way,' and therefore I need a runway in Tier 1. Some people don't see a need for it, but if we get what we want (the ability to play Career OUR way rather than as dictated by the current tech tree) then we need access to runway, launchpad, AND tracking station at start.

The flat launchpad isn't long enough for a plane to take off or land.

The land around KSC is multiple square kilometers of perfectly (rounded) flatness. Granted, you'd have to taxi to the brownish patch of launchpad area to get full 100% recovery upon landing but other than that there's no *need* for a runway.

And just to be clear: I'm envisioning a "launchpad" that is literally a patch of dirt. Or darker grass or something. Not even a bump up to it. Spawining a plane there, you could take off in any direction (except maybe toward the VAB or another building) with no problem.

EDIT: Heck, it could even work the other way around. Make the first barn actually a SPH and make the "road" runway where you launch your rockets or planes. It feels very Kerbal to me that they'd be setting up a rocket and then yell "CAR!" and pull the rocket off to the side for a few moments.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Regarding the lack of a runway for the tier 1 barn, I have no problem with that considering most runways were just grass fields back in the day. They would still need a SPH though.

For what we have now, I do prefer taking off and landing on grass than on lvl1 runway

I loved the barn. (Not trolling, the artistic and funny things in the game add character to it)

It just needs an art pass. Anyone wanting all parts in a mod from day 1, need just disable such things when playing modded. It's not Squads responsibility to make sure all mods are balanced for career. :/

The barn was crap. The current tier 1 and 2 buildings could use some work, but a barn? No. Never. It wasn't a good idea. The KSC should not be a barn. A converted industrial location, say, perhaps, a converted coal mine, would do. This would also nicely feel like October Sky.

A farm might have some machinery such as tractors and the like, but an industrial location would obviously be a better choice to build a space center around.

And buildings definitely need to be moddable.

And buildings definitely need to be moddable.

This I agree with.

I still like the idea of the farm/barn because its amusing and makes a bit of sense. Not that these all don't make sense either: mine (any sort, even open-pit), junkyard (my #2 vote), railyard, industrial plant, abandoned mall, etc.

Pretty much anything with an open layout and lots of flat ground combined with large empty buildings to convert into VAB and SPH. Farm is still my #1 vote because I prefer to start with airplanes and some farms have their own crop dusters, so a landing strip would be readily available. Also, farm vehicles can be used to haul rocket parts out to the launchpad. Junkyard gets my #2 vote because its got the bits to make all out rockets/planes and has large vehicles for moving stuff, and a dirt road can make a decent landing strip.

Again, I never saw this barn that was shown, so I'm not arguing for what was seen. I'm arguing for the IDEA, because I like it. The current buildings in all iterations are rather bland and uninspiring. Even the top tier stuff is rather plain on the outside, it doesn't feel KERBAL.

I personally like feeling like I run an advanced Space Program. The barn makes for a funny promotional video or random comic cinematic, but I wouldn't have wanted to see a barn in my game about space travel for more than a few minutes. That said, if it were a very temporary, Tier 1 building only, I don't think I would have cared much, if at all. Upgrade and move on to better things.

I want the game to merge with a city-building sim! That will never happen, but I can dream, can't I?

I really liked the barn idea. It added flavor. The replacements are just cut-and-paste, boring, vanilla-flavored clones that get a little bit bigger with each upgrade.

I've always considered KSP a unique, amusing style. The current T1 models, however, really don't fit with that style, and (for me at least) take away a lot of the, well, humor of it. It just feels cheap.

They added a little chocolate to the sundae, but the folks who only eat vanilla are the loudest, so, all the other flavors get dumped.

If buildings were moddable, I'd absolutely install one to set the T1 buildings back to what they should (IMO) be.

That pretty accurately describes what a space center looks like.

True, but that doesn't mean it has to be that way in a video game. There's a lot to be said for realism, but the main point of video games is to extend reality for our amusement.

The reason the buildings in reality look the same is probably (correct me if I'm wrong) because, well, it's cheaper to paint everything the same, they're probably all designed by the same people, and they serve a specific purpose with little regard to aesthetics.

In a video game, literally none of these should hold a developer back (except for funding I guess, but in Squad's case that doesn't seem to be an issue).

I guess what I'm saying is, "why not?"

Which begs the question, "why?"

Meh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.