Kron series (Kron 6 end of mission) - temporary halt of program

lajoswinkler

Eh, if anything I'll just remove DRE... ironicly I havn't gotten any of my spaceships to explode... even when down into kerbin at 2k/s at an angle of about... 20-30 degrees... still no explosion, the shield doesn't even ablate... kinda erks me... I guess I'll just have to deal with FAR ripping my ships apart when they slam into the atmosphere... good enough for me! Now I just need to work on getting the new planets to actualy show up... because for some dang reason they arn't showing up.. ATM (Active Texture Manager, because i've only got 4 gigs of ram and yes, i'm 32 bit) compressed their textures so they're properly installed, which makes me think that it has something to do with the KopernicusTech mod itself

Eh, if anything I'll just remove DRE... ironicly I havn't gotten any of my spaceships to explode... even when down into kerbin at 2k/s at an angle of about... 20-30 degrees... still no explosion, the shield doesn't even ablate... kinda erks me... I guess I'll just have to deal with FAR ripping my ships apart when they slam into the atmosphere... good enough for me! Now I just need to work on getting the new planets to actualy show up... because for some dang reason they arn't showing up.. ATM (Active Texture Manager, because i've only got 4 gigs of ram and yes, i'm 32 bit) compressed their textures so they're properly installed, which makes me think that it has something to do with the KopernicusTech mod itself

Newest version of OPM crashes at startup, DRE or not.

But you've made me think. Could FAR be responsible for reentry destruction? There aren't any notable aerodynamic effects that high...

hmm, I think 1.5.2 OPM works with it (and I think thats what your saying) because I booted up with it, then ended up removing it (I also used to play with TAC Lifesupport but I've kinda migrated over to the Interstellar lifesupport one... I might switch back to TAC, but for now I'm good with what I've got). I've also experimented with the Mod Oriented Tech mod (that changed the tech tree) but it just got confusing... there was one that I played with and was easier and alot more fun). So I've effectively restarted 3 times since updating to the new Kopernicus Tech.

I've also designed a SCANsat basic scanner that I'm going to launch at the Mun with a giant catepult with a big rocket. I've also got two tiny micro landers that, once I've gotten into orbit, I'm going to drop onto the Mun at high speeds let float down gently with its 2.## TtW with nearly 2500 m/s of DV onto the Mun, and do a Laser Surface Scan, Temprature, and Seismic Scans in a biome, provided it doesn't run out of fuel on the way down (I intend on bringing the orbiter in at a low Periapsis, circularize, drop one, then drop another (hopefully on two different biomes xD) and enjoy the Science! I just hope I'll have enough for a plane change (but will start it durring the transfer from Kerbin to the Mun)

Hey, lajoswinkler, if you don't mind, can I post pictures of my effort here? Or should I start my own topic?

Edited by Drakoflame

Hey, lajoswinkler, if you don't mind, can I post pictures of my effort here? Or should I start my own topic?

Well it doesn't bother me if you put few screenshots, unless you cram the thread with them, but if you want more exposure for your work, open a thread.

Kaos 2 has reached Neidon after more than 7 years of travelling.

A small impactor was deployed and the probe later returned to its original path.

283B2ABB2DE58E6AAFEE35C7795912A81A861853

Due to the Deadly Reentry incompatibility, the impactor quickly slowed down even with a very shallow periapsis. No plasma trails.

C48A6D8B5AE8454226A8BFF31975DEBF3E1A6FF3

At Neidon even RealChute fails to work properly.

8B6F986C47EBE757BCD27BCB194821C4558B4135

Results say that Neidon is very windy and cold, but thermometer is "too purple" to be read.

Impactor was left to be crushed.

The probe leaving Neidon.

2A93111855BC6F7C6D9D9721F9C22B78E4C940D2

It gained an enormous quantity of speed by the gravity slingshot and now is escaping the system.

E2167832C08BF496859AEF36FAA73A5E969630FF

Edited by lajoswinkler

I uuuhhh... think you may have overshot it a bit there... you should leave it to leave Kerbols influence, see if there's science, and then bun like crazy to get captured again and see if you can't fly past Kerbin at 30km/s! or more!

It will always stay in Kerbol's influence because there's nothing except Kerbol, however it will never return.

Science results remain the same.

I wanted for it to stay in hyperbolic orbit and to be the a vessel that will travel the longest distance in this savegame, sort of a Voyager 2.

aw, that kinda sucks that there isn't science past Kerbols orbit... Well, maybe if _Augustus_ or someone else can get Star working (agian) for Kopernicus Tech (worked just fine with Kopernicus Core, I think it has something to do with Kitopia Tech), or you could get Trans-Kuptonian, it adds "commets" and "asteoids" in highly essentric and inclined orbits around Kerbol, with the closest one on a near colission corse with Kerbin (the orbit actualy intersects Kerbins orbit, so if you time it right you can get ALLOT of science early game by launching a rocket at it while its close :3)

Oh, and I found the perfect design for a minimalistic probe. I use it for SCANsat stuff because thats how I can ballence it easily. I use the Hex core (I can' remember which it was, its the 6 sided probe core with reaction wheals that are .5 strong), 3 BoxSat folding panels (super strong and small~ish), 3 inline batteries (the .356m ones), 2 .356 reaction wheal, and the commutron 16 to transmit data ,and depending on where its going to go, either 3 tweak scaled inline RCS tanks (I use a mod that gives me .356m ones that have 80 rather than 60ish with tweak scaled stock one), and a monoprop engine (I think the one that I was using comes from a mod, but you could use one of the radial ones with the thrust tweaked to give it allot of time, usualy you have high DV because the MP engines have low output). I use a bit of cheating to get it all "hidden" so the onlythings that are visable, are the solar panels, the antenna, the thruster, and whatever SCANsat part I'm using.

Because I like playing in Science Sandbox mode, It takes me a bit to get everything, so I have only tested the design with the Low-Res scanner, and the Multispectral scanner. The box-sat panels weigh .025, and the scansat parts weigh .03, and so I've balanced it by having 2 panels on the side of the probe, and one on the opposite side of the part, with the antenna near the panel, giving it equal mass on all sides.

I think I'll try and take some pictures of the satellite today, and then post them here for all to see, I'll also try and take some shots of my ships as they head for Minmus! (my next place after fixing my planets (now I just need to figure out why I can't freeking open up the load menu...)

I want to say thanks first to lajoswinkler for letting me do this. If I decide to post any more mission updates, I'll probably do it in my own thread, but for now I'll do it here along lajoswinkler's posts.

This Mission contains 5 images, and has seven (7) text logs explaining what happened, semi RP style with what is happening.

Below is an Imgur Album, mainly because it seemed easier... The text logs will be in chronological order with the pictures, so I'm sure that you can easily figure out which log goes with which picture.

I used Steam to take the pictures (as it only captured in game images, and not my entire screen), so the text logs are titled to go with the names of the pictures (and it makes it look more realistic like an actual report!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

2015-02-13_00001:

Here, you can see the Probe I intend on sending to Minmus. Attached to it I have the Low-Res Image Scanner, and the solar panels to properly power it. The antenna uses roughly 6ec/s while transmitting data, the solar panels provide at most 14 ec/s while facing directly at Kerbol. I just hope I can use the fuel I put into it, for some reason MJ doesn't recognize the fuel... but its there!

2015-02-13_00002:

Unfortunatly, it didn't register the fuel... I'll have to edit it and make it work, the next picture I post will hopefully be in Oribit

Addon:

Turns out I didn't even put fuel into it... it now has 1.52 TWR, with 4691 DV!

2015-02-13_00003:

Back again with an update (but these are all posted at the same time...) heh... ANYWAY! Here you can see the probe flying, the Mun is "above" the probe. This picture is taken mid transfer to Minmus. I was hoping that I would be able to see Minmus, but Kerbol is to bright and is preventing me from seeing the tiny ball of mint icekream frozen water and dust. The next update will come when either something cool happens, or get pulled int Minmus' SOI

2015-02-13_00004:

See that bright dot just over Minmus? Yea, I wanted to get rid of the extra fuel (like... I probably had enough to burn down, land on Minmus, then fly back into a stable orbit...)

2015-02-13_00005:

So, I've done it! I made it into orbit! My Apoapsis is 242.8~ and my Periapsis is 241.7~ with an orbital period of 1 day, 54 minutes, and a few seconds. If I wanted to, I could probably put me into an orbit of 1 day around minmus, but I'm not gunna do it, but I actualy could. I mean... I have to much fuel, I still have 4626 DV and a TWR fo 30.93.

One last note:

After completing the Altimetry Scan of Minmus, looking over the scan... I have bad news... Minmus is, in fact, a Moon... not a ball of frozen milk... Jebidias dream of eating a ball of icekream the size of Minmus will have to wait until we find the ledgendary Space Cow and milk it...

In totally, it only took 96 days to get to, and orbit, and finish the scan of Minmus (it probably took less but I wanted to be 100% sure I got all of it with the scanner)

Wernher von Kerman has finished designing the next edition of the Kron ship. Number 3.

It is still in the prototype phase, but so far it's pretty much the stuff you'll see reach Sarnus system.

You thought Kron 1 and 2 had large propulsion units? Check again this comparison. Unit #2 below unit #3.

00EC116C3CF23BB731EE17B377E1348330D98B20

ÃŽâ€v in this configuration (without unit #2 of course) is 14918 m/s.

I've implemented two more mods. TAC Life Support and Deep Freeze.

One of the 3.75 m modules (general Kerbal storage) from Taurus HCV will be replaced with a cryonic module from Deep Freeze. All this will add more immersion, but also more mass. In case this renders the whole ship so heavy it won't be able to perform, I'll abandon the centrifuges. They aren't "needed" because the crew will be frozen during the trip to the Sarnus system and back.

Oh boy Deep Freeze! I myself use the Interstellar Life support mod (mostly because I havn't taken the time to port... lllaaaaazzzzyyyyyyy) and as soon as I can get OPM (say it quickly and you get Opium) to work with KopernicusTech (properly...) I'll probably take the time to port to TAC, and maaaaaaaybe get MKS and set up "town" on one of Sarnus's moons, maybe Tekto, seeing as it has an atmosphere (role play that Kerbals are smart enough terraform). Maybe even put an orbital station around Urlum, that way when Stars start working with KT, I can have an Extra Planetary Launch Pad (maybe) set up to fling ships into deep space carefully launch ships haphazardly into deep space at the far off stars only to have them burn up when the pilot wants to see what the surface of the star looks like and land safely on another planet to begin kolonization!

hmm... I actually may or my not have something to make it harder! Its a bit of a custom edit to the Interstellar mod. All it has it Seiosmometer impact science recorder, WasteHeat to solar panels, and (totally unintentional) radiation :3

So, not only do I need to worry about my solar panels melting form the sun, but now I can just go throwing kerbals into Jool fly Kerbals near Jool without taking procations against the immense radiation radiating out from Jool! (I don't know if it works with OPM gas giant tho D: )

If your interested I might be able to privatly distribute it, or rather I could walk you through how I set it up XD

Oh, and whats that command pod thingy there next to the Mk1? and the one that's on the very lower right?

Oh, I'm not gonna make my gameplay any more harder than this. This is already proving to be mildly annoying and I don't want it to become worse. :D

I don't really have the time to make another ship. This is the only thing I'm working on and hopefully it will complete its mission before KSP gets updated. o.o

Those are ALCOR and Taurus HCV capsules which are used in Kron series.

It seems that the ship's design has been finished. I always leave some speculative gray zone with regards to the total delta v, so I did it now, too.

This is the lander which is capable of landing and ascending from Slate, Eeloo and Tekto. After aerobraking, the shield will undock from it, the ship will dock to the shield, and the lander will do a Slate mission. Upon return of the ascent stage, the lander redocks with the shield and the ship, goes to Tekto, etc.

8B68F50A2964CB436C50F0BB7A046BE4B330BFB2

And this is the ship, in its transient configuration.

DB24711DEF07C9C78B727E003B71276F37A4D1BC

Soon I'll start assembling it in low Kerbin orbit.

Well just made a "test" run to Stella after a 233 year trip with a Vista engine from KSP Interstellar.

It turns out that the KSP Interstellar mod isn't well suited for interstellar travel at this time.

Maybe one of the forks can fix this. It needs rebalancing and high warp doesn't work with the heat dissipation.

All my liquid Deuterium and tritium boiled off after a few years, except what was inside the engine part and that was probably just an oversight of the program.

Also solar panels don't work with Stella, but fortunately I placed a lot of RTG on my ship.

If you are using RTG decay you might need a ship that looks like a nuclear porcupine?

Oh, It took about an hour in real time to do the first burn for the Stella intercept with a TWR of 0.11, have fun. :)

So, I'm looking at Porkjet's nuclear lightbulb or Angel-125's Supernova fusion engines for better performance:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104855-0-90-Atomic-Age-Nuclear-Rockets

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87070-WIP-0-90-Nuclear-Engines

I don't think this design is capable of reaching Stella and returning home, unless the number of parts was very large, something my computer can't manage. What Kron does is it uses a 3.75 m ship to deliver a station assembled from a lander and the 3.75 m habitat module, and then returns home, all with several very realistic mods. I could go to Stella if I ditched all that, but that's not the point of this series.

Maybe one day with another series. Keep me informed of your project.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.