[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

This is such a great mod. It adds so much enjoyment!

mPUUlUoh.png

NOTE: In 1.7 Beta, Ovok is temporarily not as smooth as it used to be. This will be changed when possible.

The egg is a lie.

Edited by Randazzo

The stock orbital survey won't work with Hale and maybe Ovok, since they have very small SOIs (their size and closeness to Sarnus makes the SOI very small, even with relatively high gravity for moons their size). The new Kopernicus I believe has a method to artificially extend the SOI, so I'll try to get that working in the near future. It'll be less realistic, but it'll stop a lot of issues with scanning and/or orbiting these moons. And it might allow more realistic gravity.

Can a stock scanner be patched via MM to get it to work there?

Hey, Robau... did you ever notice that Hale and Ovok orbited in such a way that for every revolution they made, Sarnus couldn't even rotate? If you did, would you point that out in 1.7 Beta 3/Official Release?

I didn't. Why would this need to be pointed out though? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Can a stock scanner be patched via MM to get it to work there?

As far as I know, no.

Or Ovok. Because both revolve faster than Sarnus rotates. However, Ovok, being the more massive, will be pulled in faster than Hale, so at some point, they might crash into one another. Or at least some of their remaining debris.

Edited by Interplanet Janet

Or Ovok. Because both revolve faster than Sarnus rotates. However, Ovok, being the more massive, will be pulled in faster than Hale, so at some point, they might crash into one another. Or at least some of their remaining debris.

Impossible, since Ovok is tidally locked around Sarnus and thus reducing its revolution would mean changing its orbits (and the rings, since they're locations are relative to the rings). I changed Sarnus rotation, as that was far simpler.

I'm having trouble with missing ring textures for Sarnus and Urlum...everything else seems to be working fine, but the giant neon-pink rings are a bit immersion breaking.

99.99999999% an atm issue, try looking into atm cache files. the pink usually comes out when ksp crashes on the first ATM load of new textures, the cache gets corrupted and displayed as pink

Rejoice, 1.7 is finally here

Downloads

1. Choose one of the two available mirrors for Outer Planets Mod

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

2. Download Kopernicus, which is a third-party mode required for OPM to work

ypskWRz.png

This version of OPM was designed with Kopernicus 0.0.9 in mind. Keep this in mind if you choose to update to future releases of Kopernicus before OPM is updated.

3. Install both mods, by moving the unzipped contents of the downloads into the GameData folder (like most mods)

Installation note: If you're updating complex mods like this, please do not overwrite the old version with the new one but delete it instead. This can prevent issues, as incompatible changes can be made between versions.

What's different?

• OPM is no longer standalone. Kopernicus is now a lot more mature, so I made it so you have to download it separately. This will make compatibility between OPM and other Kopernicus mods much more straight forward. It also makes installation very simple. Just pop the few files in the dowload's GameData folder into KSP's GameData folder and you're done.
  • Most bugs are fixed. I wasn't able to get Ovok to look like it should, but Kopernicus' latest updates helped fix both the black and dark surface bugs. So Wal and Tekto are now playable. Tekto is still a little darker than it used to be, but that can no doubt be fixed by some future tweaks. It's now playable, which is the important thing.
  • The atmospheres are now much improved. They feel very stock now. I made Tekto's atmosphere a little less deep, to reduce tediousness.
  • If you haven't played the 1.7 beta's yet, those added among other things a new moon around Wal called Tal and biomes for Urlum's moons.

What's in store?

I have a few more tweaks and improvements that I want to get done, but that was beyond the scope of 1.7. Getting a working release out of the door before the weekend (I'm out of town then) was much more important than adding those features. These include converting all textures to DDS for faster loading times. After that I want to tackle the following things:

• Tal's biomes/descriptions
  • Dark, less water-looking oceans for Tekto, to match up the orbital view with the actual ocean. Should be possible with the new Kopernicus
  • Complete the moons of Neidon, that were started on earlier

Full changelog:

Moved the Texture Replacer cfg to the OPM folder and removed the TextureReplacer folder
Updated the Karbonite configs, courtesy of Olympic1
Updated the ModuleManager plugin to version 2.6.5
Changed Wal's template back to Moho, since the black body bug was fixed by Kopernicus
Tekto is much more playable now, since the dark terrain bug is fixed by Kopernicus
Changed the AntennaRange config to reflect changes in the mod's recent updates
Changed the rotational periods of the gas giants to make them more realistic
Tweaked the atmospheres even further to create smoother transitions similar to stock atmospheres
Balanced Tekto's atmosphere to make it less tedious during descent
Changed Tekto's atmospheric ambient color from reddish to the correct green
Rounded the atmospheric heights of all OPM bodies, to match the new style of the stock bodies
Corrected Priax's mass
Added relative paths for the .bin files in the OPM bodies' cfg files
Adjusted the SOIs of Ovok and Hale to make scanning and orbiting less problematic
Removed the Kopernicus folder, the mod can now be downloaded separately, making combining OPM with other planet packs easier

Wow, I was just on KerbalStuff and thought "Hey, the forum thread is a version behind!", but you literally updated in the time it took me to go from here to there!

Looks like a good update, and you guys always do the most professional-looking dl links.

Can I ask how you softened the atmosphere transitions? Just curious:)

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

Wow, I was just on KerbalStuff and thought "Hey, the forum thread is a version behind!", but you literally updated in the time it took me to go from here to there!

Looks like a good update, and you guys always do the most professional-looking dl links.

Can I ask how you softened the atmosphere transitions? Just curious:)

Felger and KillAshley figured that out and made a great spreadsheet that makes complex curves out of only a few values. Couldn't have done it without their help.

Really glad to see the new version of this awesome mod, but now the Mun seems to have the wrong normal map when seen from a distance or in map view. Instead of craters, it has small mountain ranges and dry river beds. The color seems correct, it's just the elevation that's wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.