[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

7 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Been regenerating the normal maps for the OPM bodies, to fix the ugly ones that were in 1.2. Good results so far. 

http://imgur.com/a/THMRg

Same resolution.

P.S. Does anyone know how to embed Imgur albums these days?

Imgur update broke the embedding, and it has been disabled. And Good God, these look terrific.

Note, there's a new Kittopia which would make these exports a heck of a lot easier and less frustrating.

Edited by GregroxMun

6 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Been regenerating the normal maps for the OPM bodies, to fix the ugly ones that were in 1.2. Good results so far. 

http://imgur.com/a/THMRg

Same resolution.

P.S. Does anyone know how to embed Imgur albums these days?

Imgur album embedding is broken now I believe. But it seems when I go to Neidon past Urlum's orbit, the craft starts bugging out in strange ways as if I didn't have OPM and I went beyond Jool's orbit to the Kraken's lair. Is there a fix, or is it just a once off thing?

19 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Imgur update broke the embedding, and it has been disabled. And Good God, these look terrific.

Note, there's a new Kittopia which would make these exports a heck of a lot easier and less frustrating.

I used the new Kittopia.

4 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I hope you haven't forgotten that I've been working on 8K ones, they should be finished this week.

Of course not. I'd be happy to have them. These are just the normal-sized ones.

3 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

That was quick. :)

Stumbled on it 5 min after it was uploaded. Was just about to ask Thomas if there had been progress.

I've been experiencing a strange problem with some OPM bodies, at the very least, Eeloo and Hale, but I feel that I've noticed it in a few other places - I'll amend this if I notice more. At certain distances, they assume an incredibly blocky look as pictured. Is this the aforementioned ugly normal map issue?

Edit: I found it in a few more places, so I'll just include where I've seen it so far as follows:
Eeloo
Hale
Priax
Tal has a strange issue.
Karen

Edited by Acetylcholine
Addendums

13 hours ago, theaveragepxtseryu said:

@CaptRobau I'm just getting white circles when I install OPM, any suggestions?

http://imgur.com/gallery/5OZ8q

The most likely thing is you have installed either this mod or Kopernicus incorrectly and it is unable to find the texture files.  Try uploading an output_log.txt/player.log file and all the files from the Logs\Kopernicus folder.

In the GameData folder you should have a Kopernicus folder and an OPM folder.  You definitely shouldn't have a GameData folder inside GameData.  If you do, then move all the contents of the nested GameData folder into the top level one (the one with Squad in it) and delete the extra empty GameData.

20 hours ago, Acetylcholine said:

I've been experiencing a strange problem with some OPM bodies, at the very least, Eeloo and Hale, but I feel that I've noticed it in a few other places - I'll amend this if I notice more. At certain distances, they assume an incredibly blocky look as pictured. Is this the aforementioned ugly normal map issue?

Edit: I found it in a few more places, so I'll just include where I've seen it so far as follows:
Eeloo
Hale
Priax
Tal has a strange issue.
Karen

Do you have HyperEdit installed. I've been getting similar issues and I've tried loading the game with and without HyperEdit installed and it seems that without it I don't get that issue but with it I do. Could try with and without HyperEdit?

Edited by CaptRobau

Just now, CaptRobau said:

Do you have HyperEdit installed. I've been getting similar issues and I've tried loading the game with and without HyperEdit installed and it seems that without it I don't get that issue but with it I do. Could try with and without HyperEdit?

I do. It's worth trying without it, though it would take a bit of fiddling in sandbox. I could report back on that momentarily.

45 minutes ago, Acetylcholine said:

I do. It's worth trying without it, though it would take a bit of fiddling in sandbox. I could report back on that momentarily.

Stock KSP now has similar functionality. Press Alt-F12. In the Cheats tab you can set the orbit now. It was introduced in 1.2

35 minutes ago, Galileo said:

The issue is caused by hyperedit. 

I think three people is enough to warrant me reporting this to the HyperEdit devs.

51 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Stock KSP now has similar functionality. Press Alt-F12. In the Cheats tab you can set the orbit now. It was introduced in 1.2

I think three people is enough to warrant me reporting this to the HyperEdit devs.

I've confirmed that it was HyperEdit causing the issues.

6 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

Make it four of us... :D Have the same issue, too!

Hello! I wanted to share a picture of my adventure to Sarnus. I spent all of last weekend trying to install different mods to make this picture happen. There is texture replacer, outer planets of course, window reflections, Warp drive, Near future solar, and more. Kudos to the all the mod developers who made stuff like this possible. 

Zvev12q.jpg

On 10/22/2016 at 7:12 AM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I crunched the numbers on antenna ranges some time ago.  I noticed that a stock whip antenna could barely connect to an 88-88 dish at about the range from Jool to Pol, so using that as a new yardstick, the maximum planet-moon distance in OPM is about 889 Mm (I forget which moon it is), so all antennas should have their ratings increased by a factor of 4.  The other yardstick is that a level 1 DSN should "fill" Kerbin's SOI with an HG-5 antenna, a level 2 DSN should reach Duna with a DTS-M1, and a level 3 should reach the outer solar system with an 88-88.  DSN2-DTSM1 is 50G x 60G (was 15G, multiplied by 4) ~ 54G or just over 4 "KU" (13.6 Gm is the SMA of Kerbin's orbit, analogous to AU), which reaches Duna comfortably and even Dres, but not quite Jool, so we're good there, but DSN-3-C88 is 250G x 400G ~ 316G or 23 KU, enough to reach Urlum but not Neidon or Plock.  Setting the final DSN level from 250G to 2000G would produce a range of 2000G x 400G ~ 894G or 66 KU, plenty to reach Plock and many trans-Neidonian objects.  (In fact, assuming the proportionality of AU = KU is maintained, that's enough to reach any named TNO except for Eris, Ceto, or Sedna.)

This depends on Custom Barn Kit supporting DSN range, but I've just added it (on my test install) and I've got it working -- I'll have a PR to sarbian shortly.

Edit: Tl;dr when Custom Barn Kit updates, use these patches:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
	{
		@antennaPower *= 4
	}
}

@CUSTOMBARNKIT
{	
	@TRACKING
	{
		@DSNRange = 2000000000, 50000000000, 2000000000000
	}
}

Does this equate to an antenna range modifier of x4 and a DNS range modifier of 8 in the menu settings for KSP 1.2?  Is that all we need to mess with?

4 hours ago, Cetera said:

Does this equate to an antenna range modifier of x4 and a DNS range modifier of 8 in the menu settings for KSP 1.2?  Is that all we need to mess with?

It is not quite equivalent.  In that patch, the 8x DSN range modifier only applies to the final tier, which is a level of granularity not possible in the stock game.  (I suppose a player could keep the DSN modifier at 1 until they upgrade the Tracking Station to level 3.)  That's to preserve the stock balance of level 1 filling Kerbin's SOI, level 2 reaching Duna, and level 3 reaching "everywhere else" -- OPM doesn't move Duna or the Mun, so those levels can stay the same (and a 4x multiplier on the antennas only increases the DSN link range by 2x, which doesn't imbalance things too much), but it extends the outer solar system by a lot (from ~9 KU to ~50 KU at maximum distance to Kerbin), so the third-level DSN rating needs a boost.

That said, applying the DSN range modifier to all levels would not break anyone's game (i.e. all links that currently close will continue to close).

21 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

It is not quite equivalent.  In that patch, the 8x DSN range modifier only applies to the final tier, which is a level of granularity not possible in the stock game.  (I suppose a player could keep the DSN modifier at 1 until they upgrade the Tracking Station to level 3.)  That's to preserve the stock balance of level 1 filling Kerbin's SOI, level 2 reaching Duna, and level 3 reaching "everywhere else" -- OPM doesn't move Duna or the Mun, so those levels can stay the same (and a 4x multiplier on the antennas only increases the DSN link range by 2x, which doesn't imbalance things too much), but it extends the outer solar system by a lot (from ~9 KU to ~50 KU at maximum distance to Kerbin), so the third-level DSN rating needs a boost.

That said, applying the DSN range modifier to all levels would not break anyone's game (i.e. all links that currently close will continue to close).

So this should cover all they way out to plock then? I still plan on setting up a solar relay to still boost the signal, but perhaps now I won't have to set up as many now haha.

The standard definition normal maps are all done. As you've seen in a previous post, they look a lot better than previous versions. Now I'm moving on to the biome overhaul. I decided on this before 1.2 redid the stock biomes. That did a few good things, that I've since incorporated into my concept for the biome overhaul. So what is this biome overhaul:

• A different take on biomes. KSP started out with very bland terrain-based biomes: plains, hills, mountains, craters, etc. As the biome maps were expanded Squad added some more unique area based, but in the end it's still quite a mixed bag. So I decided on making biome maps that are more grounded in reality. Instead of being full of generic terrains, it'll be based more on unique areas. As an example, a biome map of Mars wouldn't be Plains, Mountains, Craters and so on, but contain Mariner Valley, Utopia Planitia, Hellas Basin, Olympus Mons, etc. Being less generic, the number of biomes will increase but science output will be balanced on a body-per-body, or even biome-per-biome, basis to keep the science output balanced.
  • More named/specific biomes. Having 30 Plains or Highlands biomes is very bland and uninteresting. Memorable stock biomes have cool and unique names and add a lot more to the history of a planet or moon than the standard hills, mountains and craters biomes do.
  • Higher resolution. All biome maps were 1K, but that was a bit too low-res for bigger bodies. Like KSP 1.2, I'm making the biome maps for bigger bodies in a higher resolution.
  • The color palettes were a bit too vibrant and too high contrast. KSP 1.2 introduced color palettes that are still well readable but have much more calm color palettes. OPM will use similar pleasant, more natural, palettes.

Ovok biome map

Top is the old one. The bottom is the new one. You can see that the biome complexity has been simplified a bit. Finding a biome shouldn't be hunting a single pixel on a map. You can also the improved palette.

yWQS3w7.png

Tekto biome map

Again, top is old and bottom is new. The old one has a lower resolution, ugly colors and very complex biome borders. In the new one, this has been changed (except for the new palette, that's still forthcoming). This biome map is very much directed to forcing players to go a lot of different places if they want to get all the science. They have to really explore the moon.

i12suA8.png

These biomes will all have unique names. Some are already done. I've gone for descriptive names (Twin Lakes, Polar Rifts), names honoring (former) devs ( Silisko Sea) and for other bodies I have names based on fellow modders, OPM contributors as well as names from fiction (Slate will have some Middle-Earth inspired biome names).

You're always welcome to pitch ideas for biome names. If I like them, I'll use them.

Edited by CaptRobau

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.