Six Six Science - Space & Aeronautics Agency Archive [craftfile updated 2016-04-25]

Frank_G

Thanks Adrian. Like all designs, it is the result of a long line of vehicles. This one had its origin back in the days of KSP 0.21. I planned on building a munar rover with an indestructible roll cage... In which i succeeded. Sadly, i forgot to mount lights in the very first version. I didnt saw a single bit after landing in a crater :P

Edited by Frank_G

The new smaller Solar Bird - now mounted to a special attachment rack - on its way up to the DTV. It launched on top of a T2 Pegasus I launch vehicle, but the transfer stage had to be redesigned. The payload needed to be attached in the closest possible position and a 2.5 m transfer and docking vehicle just couldn´t move close enough. Otherwise the heat shield wouldn´t be able to protect the plane during aerobraking. Besides delivering the Solar Bird, i attached a lot of RCS tanks to the docking unit, to refill the used monopropellant on each of the modules.

h0u2dzz.png

Docking in progress...

ztcuHIJ.png

And docked... I have a lot more pictures in better perspectives, but those will be saved for the mission report :wink:

OYARW4V.png

Now its only waiting for the transfer window and shortly before that, 2 additional launches that will bring the crew. The Duna Trek mission is about to get green light.

The satellite delivery to Duna prior to the main mission went without problems. The transfer angle was pretty ugly, but 7.000 m/s of delta V is an argument that leaves no place for no... All six satellites have been placed in appropriate polar orbits around Duna and Ike.

HOjaAcx.png

The transfer stage then moved into a higher Duna polar orbit to serve as a comms-relay. Both targets will be scanned for high detailed surface information, including biomes.

NuP9nny.png

The increased crew of 7 has been successfully transfered to the DTV. 

sEbxk9z.png

The launch of the main mission is scheduled for this weekend. We are at T -2 days.

Edited by Frank_G
Tpyos

Some friends did not manage to come by today. I would have enjoyed the evening, but... instead i am at T -5 minutes now.

Traveltime to Duna SOI: 241d 2h 19m

Arrival at Duna periapsis: 243d 3h 18m

Transfer dV needed: 1.131,4 m/s

6aKGyeW.png

Everything else in the mission report. See you then.

Wish me luck :)

T -3m 45s and counting...

Update: The Duna Trek crew is safely on the way home.

However the mission was overshadowed by some serious software bugs, including jumping landing legs, non separating shrouds and a buggy shielded docking port, that didnt want to let a docked craft go.

Besides that, i encountered some minor design flaws, which made the mission experience very valuable for future missions.

All together it was a lot of fun. I am looking at roughly 300 screenshots with some more to come, when the crew arrives and lands at Kerbin.

When we get a less bugged version of KSP, i will most certainly fly the mission again, with a slightly modified set of craft. The current mission will be finished tonight. Craftfiles, screens and mission description will follow next week.

12 hours ago, Frank_G said:

We are home. :)

Welcome back brave little Kerbs! It's always special to see them home knowing how far they have gone and all they have seen and done. Great work man.

Where can I see the mission pics?

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Welcome back brave little Kerbs! It's always special to see them home knowing how far they have gone and all they have seen and done. Great work man.

Where can I see the mission pics?

Thank you! Indeed it is. And quite satisfying :) 

I have sorted and renamed the images and am uploading them to Imgur at this moment. It will take some time to fill in the descriptions, but they will be available very soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.