[old thread] Trajectories : atmospheric predictions

Youen

Thanks @Kobymaru for this recompile and tests.

Since it seems I don't need to update any code, I should be able to publish the recompiled version on github and spacedock tonight. And maybe integrate the latest modifications on the API (for kOS).

EDIT: released on github and SpaceDock

Edited by Youen

4 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Not sure if it was supposed to appear, but I see mod button in main menu, should it be there? No screenshot atm.

They were talking about that over on the Hyperedit thread I think, or RCS Build Aid. Those both do it too. Something about needing to unregister or somesuch. It sounded very technical.

What do I look like, a modder? Sheesh.

(should probably make sure DAMN doesn't do that)

45 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

They were talking about that over on the Hyperedit thread I think, or RCS Build Aid. Those both do it too. Something about needing to unregister or somesuch. It sounded very technical.

What do I look like, a modder? Sheesh.

(should probably make sure DAMN doesn't do that)

Yeah look at the RCS  Build Aid thread for this. Essentially, you need to kill your button on all scene changes due to a stock idiosyncrasy. I think both Alshain and DMagic ran into the same problem. 

2 minutes ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Yeah look at the RCS  Build Aid thread for this. Essentially, you need to kill your button on all scene changes due to a stock idiosyncrasy. I think both Alshain and DMagic ran into the same problem. 

My button doesn't stick around, and I have no idea why. One of the problems with having no idea how to mod, is you don't even know why things WORK sometimes :)

6 hours ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Basicly, when you enter a scene, you register the button, but the registration is global.  So if you don't want it visible outside the scene, you need to unregister it when leaving

I repackaged the very same version (1.6.5) with a custom ModuleManager dll that disables the Nyan Cat. You can download this modified version on github (Trajectories-v1.6.5a.zip).

For anyone interested, you can also download ModuleManager.dll here: https://github.com/neuoy/ModuleManager/releases/tag/v2.7.1

This is exactly the same MM code, excepted the nyan cat doesn't enable itself whatever date of the year it currently is. You can still enable it with the -nyan-nyan parameter. If you want to get rid of the nyan cat whatever mods you have installed, just make sure this is the only ModuleManager.dll file you have in GameData. Also be sure no other mod needs a more recent version (it's the latest at the time I'm writing these lines). I also hope I didn't break anything by recompiling it, let me know if you have an issue.

Edited by Youen

I dunno, I kinda like the Nyan Cat, his/her/its smooth rainbowy progress across the screen lets me know the game hasn't frozen up while loading. XD

But seriously, thanks for getting Trajectories updated! It's so incredibly useful (even if I am usually just trying to maximize recovery funds)!

• 2 weeks later...

Possible bug:

Been having a lot of game crashes ("access violation") since 1.2.1 and I think Trajectories is the culprit.

Almost all of them have been in low-Kerbin-orbit rendezvous situations (rescue contracts) as the rescue ship gets close, or when the rescuee goes on EVA.

Managed to isolate a 100% (for me) repeatable example in a quicksave: Start up game > load career > take control of rescue ship already on intercept course with stranded pod > wait until ship gets within about 2.3 km > BAM! game crashes.

Deleting/reinstalling Trajectories turns the crash on or off.

The rendezvous course has the intercepting ship on an orbit that dips below 70km. If I raise the periapsis above 70km the crash doesn't happen. If I raise periapsis above 70, then wait until after it normally happens and lower PE back below 70km the crash happens at roughly the same ship separation of 2.2-2.3 km.

Afraid that's all the testing I've done so far, and I'm clueless about logs/crash dumps/other error-reporting stuff. Sorry.

Edited by Mark Tempe

Update to the above post:   Finally got off (on?) my lazy ass and did some more testing. Trajectories is NOT the sole cause of my crashes. It's somehow due to the combination of Trajectories (v1.6.5a) and Reentry Particle Effect (v1.2a). With both installed and no other mods except Module Manager and KER (had to leave it in since I had the KER chip's on my craft) the crash is 100% repeatable like before. Removing either mod stops the crashing. This is actually nice, because I'd rather play without Reentry Effects than without Trajectories.

Screenshot of the failure:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vtvknesziu73ulm/Screenshot.jpg?dl=0

(The image won't embed for whatever reason.)

The lower trajectory in the upper-right of the image is actually below 70km, and shows up red until the game freezes.

Files from the crash report folder, in case anyone's interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ielh0ybl7oalxeu/crash.dmp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzc9p7ciizf5woz/error.log?dl=0

Edited by Mark Tempe

Hmm, this bug seems weird, Trajectories is only managed code, so it should not cause this kind of crash (usually, the worst managed code can do is throw an exception, which is caught by Unity and logged ; no crash). So, I'm not saying it's not possible that Trajectories has a side effect that contributes to the crash, but I've no clue what could be happening. Also, so far, you seem to be the only one observing this behaviour.

If I find some time, I'll try to reproduce your issue ; in the meantime, could you post your save game to help with that? Are you playing on Windows?

Sure.

Playing on Windows 7 64-bit.   64-bit 1.2.1 KSP bought through Steam.

Here's a zipped folder with my savegame folder, A copy of my gamedata folder with everything I had in it when testing (minus the "squad" folder) and a .txt with notes and steps to replicate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15atx3j4np4g9ld/Career 1_2 - Definite Crashing on Rendezvous.zip?dl=0

On 25/11/2016 at 1:56 AM, Mark Tempe said:

Sure.

Playing on Windows 7 64-bit.   64-bit 1.2.1 KSP bought through Steam.

Here's a zipped folder with my savegame folder, A copy of my gamedata folder with everything I had in it when testing (minus the "squad" folder) and a .txt with notes and steps to replicate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15atx3j4np4g9ld/Career 1_2 - Definite Crashing on Rendezvous.zip?dl=0

Thanks. I'll let you know if I find something (don't expect anything soon, I'm a bit busy at this time). Also, I didn't know KSP 1.2.1 was out. I only tested with KSP 1.2.0 so far (but I can't say if it's related to your bug).

9 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@Youen does Trajectories work with non-stock planets

I think it should, because it's probably using real aerodynamics data from KSP or FAR, not pre-defined values. For me it gives close enough landing predictions for 6.4x rescaled Kerbin.