[1.8.x+] Waypoint Manager [v2.8.1] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

Random praise for your mod, being used for something it was not intended but for which it served admirably...

It is a very handy mod for all sorts. I use it in the map view to plop down waypoints where I want to check out locations for new bases. Saves me so much hassle not having to randomly fly from a base in some general direction, flicking back and forth from the map view and hoping EVE doesn't obscure some tasty potential site with clouds.

Thanks nightingale.

Alright, that means, new version time - download now!

Waypoint Manager 2.4.1

• Correctly display name for "clustered" waypoints (Alpha, Beta, Gamma).
  • Fix for duplicated waypoints (thanks Dr. Jet).
  • Added Apply button to custom waypoint dialog (thanks 5thHorseman).

And hello to all those upgrading from 2.3.2 because they didn't get a notification for 2.4.0 (I messed up the update to the version file, only just noticed when doing this release).

very handy mod thanks

can you add resize window function and some kind of compact list mode?

There isn't *too* much information in the window at the moment - what exactly are you looking for in a compact mode?

• 2 weeks later...

Another great mod from you.

But I have a small problem. I have given coordinates in degrees, minutes and seconds, (Scansat) but I have to enter them in the waypoint manager in decimal fractions. And also in °East (I assume here since I am 78.83° West). It would be really handy if I hadn't to convert the values myself ... a switch between West and East (North and South, while you are at it) and for each (never know when it comes in handy) direction a switch between decimal degrees and minutes + seconds.

Also I the path looked a bit odd when I exported my custom waypoints ... it worked, though.

But when I looked into the file I actually had two empty ones in it without any celestial body assigned to them... they don't appear ingame.

WAYPOINT
{
name = Site
celestialName =
icon = pressure
latitude = 19.725568328221
longitude = 281.1649647413
altitude = -2.27373675443232E-13
index = 1
seed = 337
}
WAYPOINT
{
name = Site
celestialName =
icon = pressure
index = 2
seed = 337
}

edit: Ok, figured out that might be caused if you add a new waypoint and press apply instead of save. Then it pops to an Add Waypoint window which says "Site" instead of "Waypoint Name" and has a in all colors flashing square instead of an actual icon.

Edited by Bizz Keryear
new information

Another great mod from you.

But I have a small problem. I have given coordinates in degrees, minutes and seconds, (Scansat) but I have to enter them in the waypoint manager in decimal fractions. And also in °East (I assume here since I am 78.83° West). It would be really handy if I hadn't to convert the values myself ... a switch between West and East (North and South, while you are at it) and for each (never know when it comes in handy) direction a switch between decimal degrees and minutes + seconds.

Also I the path looked a bit odd when I exported my custom waypoints ... it worked, though.

But when I looked into the file I actually had two empty ones in it without any celestial body assigned to them... they don't appear ingame.

WAYPOINT
{
name = Site
celestialName =
icon = pressure
index = 1
seed = 337
}
WAYPOINT
{
name = Site
celestialName =
icon = pressure
index = 2
seed = 337
}

edit: Ok, figured out that might be caused if you add a new waypoint and press apply instead of save. Then it pops to an Add Waypoint window which says "Site" instead of "Waypoint Name" and has a in all colors flashing square instead of an actual icon.

The last one sounds like a bug, I'll look into it.

What are you doing with SCANsat that requires you to put down such a precise waypoint? Does using the "set location on map" not close enough for this use case?

There isn't *too* much information in the window at the moment - what exactly are you looking for in a compact mode?

I think he thinks that the window might be a little big sometimes (for some situations). So if you want to keep it up all the time it could be smaller ... maybe only showing thing in the current SOI and leaving the planet and edit icons out while reducing width to bare minimum. Also to save space the text could be closer together and the location icon way smaller.

Just to name a few things for a compact mode ... anyway I also don't know why you want to keep the window up all the time.

The only reason I could think of would be to quick add a nav point at the current location of the vessel ... but I think a function like right clicking the toolbar icon would do a better job. (In case you didn't know there are actually mods out there which have a different function if you right click their icon ... mostly calling the settings instead of the mod function, though. But that doesn't mean all mods have to do it that way)

What are you doing with SCANsat that requires you to put down such a precise waypoint?

I was looking for the spot with the highest ore concentration which is on Kerbin just a 2 or 3 pixel on highest zoom of the zoom window of the big map ... also

Does using the "set location on map" not close enough for this use case?

Nope, not even close.

Well I have one more wish ... sometimes it can be useful to hide waypoints (if there are too many too close to each other)

... also selecting more than one waypoint at a time ... e.g. I marked the beginning and end of the runway. For landing you want those two aligned.

I think he thinks that the window might be a little big sometimes (for some situations). So if you want to keep it up all the time it could be smaller ... maybe only showing thing in the current SOI and leaving the planet and edit icons out while reducing width to bare minimum. Also to save space the text could be closer together and the location icon way smaller.

Just to name a few things for a compact mode ... anyway I also don't know why you want to keep the window up all the time.

The only reason I could think of would be to quick add a nav point at the current location of the vessel ... but I think a function like right clicking the toolbar icon would do a better job. (In case you didn't know there are actually mods out there which have a different function if you right click their icon ... mostly calling the settings instead of the mod function, though. But that doesn't mean all mods have to do it that way)

We'll see if angelix comes back... at this point I'm not rushing to build a compact mode.

I was looking for the spot with the highest ore concentration which is on Kerbin just a 2 or 3 pixel on highest zoom of the zoom window of the big map ...

Makes sense... I'll have to give it some thought, raised [#39] to track.

Well I have one more wish ... sometimes it can be useful to hide waypoints (if there are too many too close to each other)

... also selecting more than one waypoint at a time ... e.g. I marked the beginning and end of the runway. For landing you want those two aligned.

This one I have less control over, as selecting a waypoint for navigation is stock behaviour. So I can't really amend that to have two "selected" waypoints.

Two thoughts...

1) Have you ever considered adding the ability to insert *orbits* on the map? Let the user input some orbital parameters and get a target orbit to appear, like you get for satellite contracts. I feel like this could be useful to visualize a certain orbit you want.

2) Have you ever considered making different features (or the entire mod) unlockable, according to the Tracking Station level? (maybe it already is and I've just forgotten...)

Two thoughts...

1) Have you ever considered adding the ability to insert *orbits* on the map? Let the user input some orbital parameters and get a target orbit to appear, like you get for satellite contracts. I feel like this could be useful to visualize a certain orbit you want.

It's an interesting idea, but it's technically quite challenging. Then rendering code in stock KSP for the orbits is tucked away inside a contract parameter, so it's difficult/impossible to use without a contract. Additionally, it would probably need an overhaul to the exiting GUI to make it integrate well. So this one is unlikely to happen.

2) Have you ever considered making different features (or the entire mod) unlockable, according to the Tracking Station level? (maybe it already is and I've just forgotten...)

It's an interesting idea... but I'm not likely to do it unless I get a lot of people asking for it (you're the first).

... it's difficult/impossible to use without a contract.

Could you make an add-orbit UI spawn a free, no-reward, no-expiration contract for each orbit? If I understand contracts correctly, the user wouldn't even need to accept it for it to render... (Perhaps even allow the user to specify a "shelf life" of the orbit rendering, which translates directly into the contract's expiration?) Or are there limits on how many unaccepted contracts one can have, or something?

... it would probably need an overhaul to the exiting GUI to make it integrate well.

Maybe make it into a UI that's only visible in the tracking station, separate from the preexisting WM UI? Or would that detract from the look and feel of WM?

(I'm biased in making this suggestion, in that my original reddit post on this subject was about a standalone mod that does orbit adding, "orbit waypoint adding" [essentially, maneuver targeting with either a phantom part, or a speck-of-dust/useless part, placed into a desired orbit - so one could, for example, toss up 4 orbital waypoints 90 degrees from each other in order to launch an awesomely synced sat network w/remotetech], and custom waypoints [because I was unaware of WM until jofwu commented]. I totally get if shoehorning orbital waypoints into WM would disrupt the flow.)

Could you make an add-orbit UI spawn a free, no-reward, no-expiration contract for each orbit? If I understand contracts correctly, the user wouldn't even need to accept it for it to render... (Perhaps even allow the user to specify a "shelf life" of the orbit rendering, which translates directly into the contract's expiration?) Or are there limits on how many unaccepted contracts one can have, or something?

Oh, there's better ways around it (it's actually only the parameter that's required, and that can be wrapped and the contract portion faked out). The point I was trying to make is that the changes aren't easy.

Maybe make it into a UI that's only visible in the tracking station, separate from the preexisting WM UI? Or would that detract from the look and feel of WM?

(I'm biased in making this suggestion, in that my original reddit post on this subject was about a standalone mod that does orbit adding, "orbit waypoint adding" [essentially, maneuver targeting with either a phantom part, or a speck-of-dust/useless part, placed into a desired orbit - so one could, for example, toss up 4 orbital waypoints 90 degrees from each other in order to launch an awesomely synced sat network w/remotetech], and custom waypoints [because I was unaware of WM until jofwu commented]. I totally get if shoehorning orbital waypoints into WM would disrupt the flow.)

It's not that it's a bad idea, just that there's a lot of work involved and I'm not really interested in implementing it at the moment. Sorry!

This one I have less control over, as selecting a waypoint for navigation is stock behaviour. So I can't really amend that to have two "selected" waypoints.

Uh, ok I understand ...still looking for tools that help to work around that the game out put is projected on a flat plane, while you actually need depth perception.

I have even a 3D monitor, it isn't supported anywhere. It worked on Nvidia driver [29X], but then they decided to not making it work.

Means I can run the setup program and it produces a 3D preview, but no other app. Caused by a disagreement about licensing fees between these companies.

But maybe to hide some points on the map view. As said you can have trouble to find one if they are close.

Well I have one more thing ... couldn't confirm what and how it was caused, but my custom waypoints keep disappearing.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to request a way to sort waypoints by distance under the celestial body tab. Would that be possible? This mods makes survey sso much more convenient!

Edited by Svm420

I would like to request a way to sort waypoints by distance under the celestial body tab. Would that be possible? This mods makes survey sso much more convenient!

Raised [#40], although it may be a while before I get back to Waypoint Manager.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can confirm that's not a bug, MrHappyFace is correct. I wish everyone would use the same system... HyperEdit also does the 0-359 East longitutde while Vessel Orbital Information Display (VOID) splits the hemispheres. From what I understand tho the 0-359 is the more "standard" way of doing things - at least that's what Arrowstar's KSPTOT does and he's an actual astrodynamicist and has that app programmed the way he does actual spacecraft orbits at work so....

I think I've stumbled upon a bug.

The KSP wiki and Kerbal Enginner Redux both list the space center's longitude as being around 74 degrees. But Waypoint Manager lists it as being about 285 degrees. I'm curious as to what could be causing this.

It's all in how it ends up being set/defaulted. The wiki lists it as 74 degrees west (or negative 74 degrees). 360 - 74.57 = 285.43 (which is for the middle of the space centre). So the answer is - they're both right. Whether I should make a change to make it consistent is the real question (I might be clamping in in the [0, 360] range, whereas others are doing [-180, 180].

Whoops, missed the second page of replies. And taniwha is correct that -180 to 180 is more commonly used (although 0 to 360 seems more logical for those with a math background). It's also more consistent with latitude (which is always -90 to 90).

Still - I probably won't change it. :)