How to Create Custom Kerbals (1.0+)

greenbow66

Hey guys! Greenbow66 here, I was searching online for how to create custom kerbals, and all I found was mods, other discussions(That weren't relevant, duh!) and The KSP wiki which is Useful as where the Devil Lives. So I decided to experiment. This is the successful result.

IMPORTANT NOTE

This does not change the occupation of the Kerbal, but you can do that yourself, this will also not change how experienced the Kerbal is.

This includes going into the Game Files. If you are uncomfortable with that, do Not do this, or create a backup world.

STEP 1:

Recruit a Kerbal, this is where you get to choose your Kerbal's Occupation. In the Astronaut Complex, you see the Kerbal's occupation. Recruit the Kerbal with the occupation of your choice. In this Image, you can see my own Greenbow Kerman that yielded from the experiment. For this I'm Recruiting Sigmin Kerman. note his courage and stupidity levels.

2qXXmz9.png

STEP TWO:

Close the game and go to the Persistant file. This requires going into your computers files. Where you need to go is to your files, scroll down to your computer tab, and open the one that has (C:) After the name. Click that, and the screen where files are should change. Double Click Kerbal Space Program. Now go to the folder that is titled "Saves" You should see your world names, scenarios and Training. Double click the Folder of the name of the world you wanted your Kerbal in.

You want to Right Click the folder that you want a backup of, and you should have a right click menu. Click the part that is titled "Copy". Now Paste the file, I use a Windows 8, so I do Ctrl+V. You should have a folder named: A world - Copy You can rename it if you want, but it really doesn't matter, as long as it sticks out from everything else in your saves. Enter the orginal folder.

STEP THREE:

Find and Edit the Kerbal. To find the Kerbal, press the special key(Ctrl for windows 8) and "F". The type in the search box "ROSTER". You should see Jebediah Kerman under the word. Close Find, and scroll to your Kerbal. If you have a large list of Kerbals that you Executed(Come on, you did it!), then instead of finding Roster, type your Kerbal's first name. Then you should be taken to the Kerbal.

From here, you Edit your Kerbal! You can Edit the kerbal's courage (Listed as "Brave"),Stupidity (Listed as "Dumb"), and Gender(Listed As "Gender"). You can also edit weather it is "BadS" or not. What BadS does is Makes your Kerbal never experience fear. Like Jebediah. You can Also edit the name.

While you're here you can also revive any dead kerbals that you may have liked, by replacing "Missing" Or "Dead" With "Available". I did this with jebediah whilst creating Greenbow kerman, and he's alive as ever!

Now Re-Open the Game, and find your save file. Open it, and Enjoy your Kerbal!

:D<PROOF STRAIGHT AHEAD!!!>

7ZGzdwc.png

So I hope this Helped all of you guys out there! I hope you don't give your kerbal an Early Demise, thank you for reading, I'm Greenbow66, and I'm out!

*Fires the arrow of beginning*

Edited by greenbow66
Updating Title to the Full Version!

A few things I've found on my own (some of it just today, while adding viewers' names to my save file):

• Kerbal profession is some sort of hash of the name, but it's not a simple one. You can't take "Sally Kerman" and change her name to "Tally Kerman" and expect to get the same change in profession you got when you took "Fred Kerman" and changed his name to "Gred Kerman".
  • If you want a specific first name, though, you can usually find a way to get the profession you want by modifying the last name. I've got guys with last names like Berman, Lerman, Ferman, and Nerman. :)
  • DO NOT CHANGE A KERBAL YOU RESCUED unless you ALSO change the stored contract to the exact same name. Changing one without changing the other will lock up your game!
  • DO NOT CHANGE A KERBAL YOU HAVE NOT YET RESCUED unless you do the same. Again, if you do this it will lock up your game.
  • DO NOT EVER CHANGE THE ORDER OF KERBALS IN THE LIST. Ever. It puts random people in random places and is a huge pain to put back to rights.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 02/11/2016 at 5:40 PM, Vorg said:

This thread is 2 years old. Now there is a mod for it. Problem is, mod breaking updates are coming faster then mod fixes. Not sure this one made it to 1.2 and now we are 1.2.1

Alt-F12 now has this functionality too, plus making the Kerbal an orange one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.