OMICRON - Flying Space Car Development Thread

Climberfx

This is the Development Thread. Bugs report here too.

Already Released! Download Pre Release on Release Thread:

49877731127_4993b25bde_h.jpg

Hello, Everyone. :D

So, this is my idea, from child, I dream to fly one of these. A flying car.

The name is OMICRON!  

Will be a flying space car with a foot on reality and other in near future.

The engine will be in the same principle of Saber Vtol, and will accept stock rocket engines in the back, totally customizable.

My attempt is to have the EVA and the IVA all together, i mean, the Kerbals will be visible inside the craft, and all windows/doors will be openable, more likely the stock seat, but inside the craft. 

The configurations you'll be able to do it, reach VTOL, SSTO. I'm not creating new engines to put on back, only the Vtol SSTO ones that show in the pics, on the side of the craft.

Will update the new model pics when they starting get ready, it may be a little different from this ones from the old one. Evolved.

List of things i still need to do (for full release):

• Extra functions on cockpit panel;
  • Plate with 6 rockets and included legs;
  • Ejection system for seats and windows;
  • Parachutes;
  • Wings;
  • Rocket command pod with big windows;

My intention, as it is a hobby, is to do with pleasure, no pressure.

Cheers commanders.

88x31.png

Omicron by Climberfx is licensed under a Attribution 4.0 International

p.s.: Here is the link to the original thread on Forum, but in Portuguese. You still can see the pictures, is more than self explanatory. WIP OMICRON Carro Espacial Criação das Partes

Edited by Climberfx

Thank everyone for the likes.

I will be updating the pics in first post, so, remember to keep an eye here, if you please. And Subscribe :D

I will love to receive comments of joy, so don't be shine. This keep me motivated. Besides that i already enjoy every step, even if it slow.

I believe the things get out better when you do with joy.

Cheers.

Update:

15572186694_13743c6af8_o.jpg

Edited by Climberfx

That looks very cool. I really like the mechanism you use to swivel your lift engines. Will they use multiple fixed positions, or will you be able to move them to any angle like IR servos? The engine pods seem to be fixed to the craft. While you could use the thrust limiter to make adjustments to the hover center of thrust, what about making the rear engines surface mountable so they can be placed where needed for balance. This would also allow for a heavier 6 engine configuration for hauling fuel or whatever.

I was also wondering, do the engines rotate forward of vertical? I can picture this thing doing a vertical takeoff from a launchpad then swiveling the lift engines to transition to forward flight. But what about when you get to your destination? Are there retro firing engines that slow you or do you go to hover mode and pitch the nose way up to slow for landing? I would think for passenger comfort you'd want to try to keep the craft level and use braking engines. (I wonder if they could be tied to the brake action group to fire when you push B)

Are there going to be lights for it? It's such a nice clean design and the stock lights are so big and bulky.

It looks great so far. I can't wait till there's a downloadable version to play with.

I can see all sorts of uses for this kind of thing. It does need some sort of side door, or underside door, with a ramp or a stairway of some sort for easy embarking/disembarking. I'm already thinking about the ways we could adapt it to use Kerbal Foundries tracks (or repulsors) to make the ultimate in stylish off-world rovers.

Thanks everyone.

Look awesome if you don't have a IVA for it you might try and some if this guy will help you.http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...29-FAR-support

MeCripp, will have IVA and Panels, but a more suitable to the design. Already see mods that do that, like this rovers. But here is without helmets. Is not the same thing, but are a answer. Exploration Rover System ASET

That looks very cool. I really like the mechanism you use to swivel your lift engines. Will they use multiple fixed positions, or will you be able to move them to any angle like IR servos? The engine pods seem to be fixed to the craft. While you could use the thrust limiter to make adjustments to the hover center of thrust, what about making the rear engines surface mountable so they can be placed where needed for balance. This would also allow for a heavier 6 engine configuration for hauling fuel or whatever.

I was also wondering, do the engines rotate forward of vertical? I can picture this thing doing a vertical takeoff from a launchpad then swiveling the lift engines to transition to forward flight. But what about when you get to your destination? Are there retro firing engines that slow you or do you go to hover mode and pitch the nose way up to slow for landing? I would think for passenger comfort you'd want to try to keep the craft level and use braking engines. (I wonder if they could be tied to the brake action group to fire when you push B)

Are there going to be lights for it? It's such a nice clean design and the stock lights are so big and bulky.

It looks great so far. I can't wait till there's a downloadable version to play with.

The base to my creation is a SSTO VTOL that i already use on game, with B9 parts. On B9 VTOL (Sabre VTOL, option non oficial, config from the autor) it have incremental angles to work. I thing in that way to handle the engines, like, 0º, 15º, 30º, 45º, 60º, 75º, 90º, 105º. My engine will have 15º plus to make some minor reduces in velocity, and maybe have an optional to be in incremental and free angle, but max is 105º (90º is pointed down to ground, been 0º pointed back). But to reenter atmosphere it uses the belly basically. You adjust reentering angle for the better slow down and support temperature (DR). All the engines all free, you position each one independently and where you need it. You can put 6, 8 or only 2. You will build it as you wish. No, you can't turn it in sides, no more than a basic gimbal do.

The rear engines will have a lot of freedom to. Better on .90. 2, 3, 1 rocket. And you will be able to configure a sort of engine numbers and figure out our balance the way you want. Even with the intakes types, some are heavier and have space for fuel, so, you will have sort of ways to balance.

Are there side doors with ladders/stairs? Would make this also works amazing as futuristic kerbal houses.

I already have planet doing stairs and ramps for access it. And more types of parts...

I can see all sorts of uses for this kind of thing. It does need some sort of side door, or underside door, with a ramp or a stairway of some sort for easy embarking/disembarking. I'm already thinking about the ways we could adapt it to use Kerbal Foundries tracks (or repulsors) to make the ultimate in stylish off-world rovers.

Above answer, and for know, i don't think to put some "superpowerful" magic engines. Maybe in the future. For now, some technology that exist today, but improved. (Vtol and Nuke, possiblely). But you can use your other parts.

You have a beautiful vision. It looks like they are smaller than the mk][ parts?

Thank you very much Head.

The parts are compatible in size and details with mk2 design. Mine is like a upholstered mk2. Is necessary to have two kerbals with helmets inside' date=' plus the ship.

The first thing I thought of when you mentioned the mod name was the planet in Futurama "Omicron Persei 8" (spelling anyone)

Ruedii, i love futurama, but don't had that connection on the name. At least not in conscious mind. My reference was to Greek Symbols, that reminds the Ship Shape. I got Phi, Theta and than Omicron. And Omicron is 15, so we get into 2015. Not a state secret, and is just a name.

Thank you every one.

16212039842_41b1ee05d1_o.jpg

16212855695_229039edaa_o.jpg

16186935886_b8634f622d_o.jpg

Edited by Climberfx

The back part/case for the engines and other things inside, will fit at least 1 atomics, maybe 2 engines. I will have stock config similarities engines from myself for the model, but it will fit the stock ones, if you choose.

I don't check the sizes for that other types you mention, but i can check in the proper time. Not even touch in the back part to finish it's design and proper connections.

I think in doing a more modern version of the propulsion system for it in the future, after i finish this first version. Will take a wile. I do thing the design ask for a more futuristic propulsion too, but my first effort is to have it possible in the present. Or almost.

:wink:

Edited by Climberfx

Good to hear you keep it as modular as possible, that way you have potential to upgrade your space car as more advanced propulsion get's unlocked.

I imagin this vehical is intended as a SSTO you dock with a orbital interplanerairy spaceship. Your going to need some serious power to get it land and takeoff with high ISP like the ones seen in the Interstellar movie.

Edited by FreeThinker

Yes, i think that too about modularity.

The upgrade will be personal.

I'm thinking before doing to be vast on the possibilities, inside the subject of Space/Flying Car. But too to connect with common parts from the game, if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.