KSP Version 0.9

psyper

.... that got your attention! :D

I saw a few posts recently asking again why the new version is 0.90 and not 0.9 and it started to get me wondering if there ever was a version 0.9 out there and I found this little gem in the kerbal wiki:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Version_history#v0.9

Its interesting how things have come along since that far off past and just wanted to share it with the rest of you.

And to answer the question - the point isn't a normal decimal point, its a separator.

In version numbering you have major.minor.revision.build - the first major built of the game/program will be version 1 (or 1.00) as kerbal hasn't been officially released they use the 0.xx so show its alpha and beta stage. The xx will then increase as each minor version gets released 1,2,3,4...,23,24,25 etc - at version 25 they realised they were on the verge of making an officially released product and switched from alpha to beta so skipped a few minor version numbers all the way up to 90 - in fact version numbering still allows you to have minor versions 100, 101 etc so you could still have kerbal version 0.100 in 10 versions time!!

So you could also think of it this way - its the computer version of feet and inches, minutes and seconds etc so if I said it was ten thirty pm you'd write it as 10:30pm (or 22:30) - no one will ask '3 minutes past ten? why don't you write it as 10:3'

Feet and inches are written out as 3'11". Its just version numbering uses full stops for their separators.

Edited by psyper

Persistent staging is needed!

Yeah, there's a difference between version 90 and version 9.

This was when struts were introduced and the stats for each part appears when you hover over their icon in the VAB and stages can be moved around. can you imagine a time before 'moar struts' was even possible!

Edited by psyper

Back then, struts were life savers, I remember those wobbly rockets flying around without struts. A real nightmare but explosively fun! It's amazing that a single part can make a huge difference in how you play.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.