[1.3.x] SETI, Unmanned before Manned [Patreon]

Yemo

@Yemo

Couple of questions:

I know it has been a while but was anything ever figured out with TAC LS so that we can have integrated 3 day life support back on crewed parts. I think you had to disable that due to a math issue IIRC.

Would it be hard for you to integrate this mod into your Alkaline Fuel cells? This is sweet little mod that will automatically turn on and off fuel cells based on a configurable threshold.

Looks as if FuelCellTweaks already made the adjustment

Edited by theersink

This isn't a bug, but just an observation

The Oscar B fuel tank has starts L=9, O=11, Mass=.1125. 

The Oscar B3 fuel tank has stats L=27, O=36, Mass=0.3525

This makes 3 of the standard Oscar tanks better value than the B3 tank.

With just a SETI ProbeSTACK and Pomeranian engine, an Oscar B3 offers 2606m/s deltaV (vac) where 3 standard Oscar tanks give 2722.

Oh also, I was looking for a mod that swapped crew reports with EVA, as it's more convenient doing crew reports from inside the ship than jumping out every time I enter a new biome. I found Science Revisited Revisited, which does that, plus a bunch of other functions very similar, but not the exactly the same, as SETI rebalance. Since that mod hasn't been 1.3 updated and the author has posted that they are not so interested in updating anymore, could the EVA/CR swap be implemented as an option to this mod?

Sorry for double posting, but I saw you liked my previous post before I was finished with the edit, so just wanted to make sure you didn't miss the message in my edit :blush:

On 10.6.2017 at 8:19 PM, SiCaRiO31 said:

Finally free from my finals! :D, since most of my mods since January dont work anymore, i need to ask :P : I want to play UBM challenge in my new career mode, does it work with 1.3 ?

Sorry for the long wait, I finally had some time the last 2 days to work on the mods. The good news is, that nothing broke because of the ksp update, if anyone else is wondering. Near Future Spacecraft part names were changed, so I ll have to account for that.

On 21.6.2017 at 6:11 PM, Kermanzooming said:

Just a quick line to say thank you very much for your work on this mod; I want to let you know that this mod is the only reason I'm staying on 1.2.2, as it makes career mode make sense.

Thank you! I do my best to update to 1.3 in the next few days, if real life permits.

On 23.6.2017 at 5:57 AM, theersink said:

@Yemo

Couple of questions:

I know it has been a while but was anything ever figured out with TAC LS so that we can have integrated 3 day life support back on crewed parts. I think you had to disable that due to a math issue IIRC.

Would it be hard for you to integrate this mod into your Alkaline Fuel cells? This is sweet little mod that will automatically turn on and off fuel cells based on a configurable threshold.

Looks as if FuelCellTweaks already made the adjustment

Ah, great, I did a pull request on github and it was accepted.

1 hour ago, strudo76 said:

This isn't a bug, but just an observation

The Oscar B fuel tank has starts L=9, O=11, Mass=.1125. 

The Oscar B3 fuel tank has stats L=27, O=36, Mass=0.3525

This makes 3 of the standard Oscar tanks better value than the B3 tank.

With just a SETI ProbeSTACK and Pomeranian engine, an Oscar B3 offers 2606m/s deltaV (vac) where 3 standard Oscar tanks give 2722.

Whoops, typo, the B3 should have 33 oxidizer, not 36. I ll remove the dead weight in the next update, thank you very much for the hint. When looking at the Oscar tanks I also found that the OscarA from VenStockRevamp has wrong content values, will be fixed as well.

28 minutes ago, strudo76 said:

Oh also, I was looking for a mod that swapped crew reports with EVA, as it's more convenient doing crew reports from inside the ship than jumping out every time I enter a new biome. I found Science Revisited Revisited, which does that, plus a bunch of other functions very similar, but not the exactly the same, as SETI rebalance. Since that mod hasn't been 1.3 updated and the author has posted that they are not so interested in updating anymore, could the EVA/CR swap be implemented as an option to this mod?

Sorry for double posting, but I saw you liked my previous post before I was finished with the edit, so just wanted to make sure you didn't miss the message in my edit :blush:

Hm, SETIrebalance should do most of that already. I remember putting the crew eva-experiment-swap in it a long time ago, though I have not tested that recently.

About the updates for 1.3:

Nothing really broke, but if you have not started in ksp 1.3 yet, there are some changes which might be worth the wait.
No language support from my side, sorry.
UbM gets the old earlyAviation (4science) node from SETIctt, as well as the fragile Mk1 Retro Cockpit, some parts are shifted around to support earlier planes.
General 70% science nerf is removed from SETIrebalance, as well as all the mod recommendations and suggestions, a new mini mod will take over the role of the fulcrum for the meta mod pack, along with the 70% nerf
Some tweaking around fuel cells for SETIrebalance and SETIprobeParts, minor tweaks to command pods (mostly more monoprop)

I will also try to integrate Porkjets PartOverhauls, but not the way they are available at the moment. I dont like the upgrade feature in its current implementation, so that has to go. Also I consider VenStockRevamp a given, so no need for duplicate LV-T45 and so on, though I like the "shrouded" engine versions for spaceplanes. The Mk1pod is fine as an upgrade to the stock Mk1pod with SETIrebalance. So that leaves a bunch of "non-shrouded" engines and a set of fuel tanks. The 0.625m category could use the LV-303 and LV-T15 engines. And the rest, well, there sometimes pops up a demand for 1.875m form factor engines and tanks to fill the gap between 1.25m and 2.5m...

Edited by Yemo

5 hours ago, Yemo said:

Nothing really broke, but if you have not started in ksp 1.3 yet, there are some changes which might be worth the wait.

So.... let's say someone I know has started a 1.3 game using your mods, do you expect I'll they'll have any problems upgrading to the next release? :blush:

6 hours ago, Yemo said:

Hm, SETIrebalance should do most of that already. I remember putting the crew eva-experiment-swap in it a long time ago, though I have not tested that recently.

Hmm, on taking a second look, yes that does appear to be the case. Sometimes I'm a bit of a numpty... :blush:

9 hours ago, strudo76 said:

So.... let's say someone I know has started a 1.3 game using your mods, do you expect I'll they'll have any problems upgrading to the next release? :blush:

Nope, there should generally be no problems, except:

Porkjets PartOverhauls will be completely rebalanced, the Mk1pod and the boattail engines will have different values but at least have the same size. The non-boattail engines and the fuel tanks will be resized and thus break
OscarA fuel tank from Ven will have half? the resources.
Alkaline Fuel Cells will consume twice as much per EC and thus only last half as long (6 hours instead of 12)

The rest should be fine.

Hi!! If I set

//---This decreases all experiment science returns by 30%
@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:FINAL
{
    @baseValue *= 1.0
    @scienceCap *= 1.0
}

This is disabled decreases for all experiments? No more nothing do for disable effect? I liked idea with 100% transmitted for simple experiments, but not liked decreases for all experiments - i play first time, and dont want too hard with science points))

Sorry  my bad English!!!

Edited by nickicool
add description

And small offtop, sorry - i think in this topic me help. Please advise mod on unmanned experiments with the soil sample, and possibly something else like that. Especially with contracts. The main idea is the maximum utilization probs instead of manned flights.

@nickicool

That should work, but I updated nearly all SETI mods just 2 hours ago, and I removed exactly that bit in the new version of SETIrebalance. There is now a mod called SETIcareerChallenge which solely consists of that general experiment science nerf. So that players can opt in to that if they play career and want it a bit harder (as it is intended to balance out the extra science from contracts compared to science mode).

I will make the update announcement with changelogs for the mods once CKAN makes them available.

The original post of this thread is already updated to some degree, thats what I m working on at the moment.

After that I intend to make a new challenge thread, with a much more specific challenge and less wall of text.

And then maybe update the overview pictures for the mods.

44 minutes ago, nickicool said:

Thank you very much for answer!

You are welcome!

I will post a small (no wall of text this time) challenge later, which makes use of the new SETI MetaModPack.

CKAN now provides the updated versions of the SETI mods:

New SETI MetaModPack (only available via CKAN)

If you are looking for a more balanced, comfortable and more challenging gameplay without having to manually crawl through a hundred mods every time, this might be it.
Simply install CKAN, only click on the SETI-MetaModPack, then "ApplyChanges", leave the recommendations selected and select those suggestions you like as well. Done.
For more detailed information and recommendations for career settings, please go to the thread linked below called "SETI-UbM Career Challenge (setup takes 5-10min)".
Mod Recommendations and Suggestions of the MetaModPack (Link to Textfile on Github)

One liner updates

SETIgreenhouse is not yet updated, but it works fine with ksp 1.3 anyway

SETIcontracts, SETIrebalanceMaterialsGoo, SETIremoteTechConfig, SETIprobeControlEnabler have simply been recompiled for KSP 1.3

UnmannedBeforeManned Challenge now moves most basic engines further back, especially when VenStockRevamp is installed (which provides the Dachshund)

SETIcustomBarnKitConfig now gives you 4 contract slots from the start (I forgot to to this for SETIcontracts as well)

New mods

SETI CareerChallenge v1.3.0.0 (Recommended for career mode, use CKAN for a clean install)

This small mod simply reduces science experiment rewards by 70% to balance out the contract science rewards compared to science mode.

Porkjets PartOverhauls SETIconfig v0.9.1.0 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

Configures and redistributes Porkjets PartOverhauls (CC-BY-NC-3.0), so that it fits into stock and VenStockRevamp without replacing parts.
Some parts are now 1.875m sized, two engines augment the 0.625m collection, Boattail versions stay 1.25m sized.
Strongly recommended: SETI Rebalance above and a tech tree which makes sense, probably every tech tree which is not stock...

Major updates

SETI ProbeParts v1.3.0.0 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

Rebalances

• Alkaline Fuel Cell now consumes twice the resources for same EC output
  • Thus it only has internal storage for 6 hours at full capacity
  • Fuel Cell fill amount set to 10%, to make them more useful for backup purposes
  • Pomeranian engine a bit heavier and more expensive

Small extendable solar panels now use Ven textures if installed

Fixes

• OscarB3 fuel tank 33 oxidizer instead of 36, thank you @strudo76

Unmanned before Manned v1.3.0.0 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

New SETI-MetaModPack mini mod is new fulcrum of for SETI recommendations and suggestions

TechTree changes

• EarlyAviation node from SETIctt is back (4 science), for early planes
  • And the Mk1 Retro Cockpit from SETIctt is back as well, allowing early prop planes
  • Some minor adjustments around those changes, to make them fit
  • Ven InlineRCS to stability for simpler RCS rotation control
  • Some decouplers to stability (eg radial ones) and launch stability enhancer
  • Early LFO engines moved a bit, especially when UnmannedBeforeManned-Challenge is installed

Mod support

• KAX
  • Porkjets PartOverhauls - SETI config (available via CKAN)

Fixes

• Adjustments for recent NFSpacecraft part name changes

SETI Rebalance v1.3.0.0 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

New SETI-MetaModPack (available via CKAN) mini mod is new fulcrum of SETI-meta-mod-pack

• Recommendations and suggestions for the meta mod pack are shifted from SETIrebalance to SETI-MetaModPack
  • General 70% science nerf is shifted from SETIrebalance to SETIcareerChallenge
  • This makes SETIrebalance more compatible with other settings, eg other techtrees and science mode

Rebalances

• Stock dishes rebalanced for RemoteTech
  • UniversalStorage Alkaline Fuel Cell now consumes twice the resources for same EC output
  • Thus it only has internal storage for 6 hours at full capacity (same goes for SETIprobeParts AFC)
  • Standard squad fuel cell lighter and produces 3kW instead of 1.5kW
  • Fuel Cell fill amount set to 10%, to make them more useful for backup purposes
  • Spaceplane cockpits have monoprop by default again
  • Some Command pod rebalances, mostly adding monoprop
  • Swept wing mass lowered a lot to be comparable to other wings
  • Minor Cost rebalances

Fixes

• VenStockRevamp Oscar A Fuel tank stats fixed to be half of Oscar B
  • Adjustments for recent NFSpacecraft part name changes

And as previously stated, this is the new challenge, which makes use of the SETI-MetaModPack. It probably wont recieve much attention, since few people want to install specific mods for a challenge (even if it only takes only 5 clicks in ckan total). But for those who are willing, I plan a mini series of challenges for the early tech tree.

Your challenge, should you accept it, is to reach an altitude (apoapsis) as high as possible, with a kerbal piloting the vessel, under the facility upgrade and technological limits described below and then safely return to the KSC (must be visible when landed).
With max 5 science spent when using the SETI-MetaModPack => no SPH/VAB/Runway/LaunchPad upgrades, no reaction wheels, no RCS, no decouplers, no liquid fuel engines, etc. Highest Altitude counts for the ranking.

Made it to the upper atmosphere:

mjVLULxh.png

Science restrictions with the new "Unmanned Before Manned" + "Unmanned Before Manned Challenge" mod

QIDtRiQl.png

The marked nodes, also somewhat shows how the latest updates changed the early tech tree.

You can see the old Mk1 Retro Cockpit in the early Aviation node. Also the NRAP configurable test mass (4th part in start node) to try out launcher designs. The first, kind of black part in the start node is a camera.

np7EOhq.png Start node

zg1eNc2.png Early Aviation node (when KAX is installed, a prop engine will appear here)

M2d4P8i.png Modular Wings node

Edited by Yemo

On 30.6.2017 at 11:37 PM, nickicool said:

And small offtop, sorry - i think in this topic me help. Please advise mod on unmanned experiments with the soil sample, and possibly something else like that. Especially with contracts. The main idea is the maximum utilization probs instead of manned flights.

Whoops, did not see this post, sorry.

I think SETIrebalance allows you to take a soil sample with a probe. There should be something looking like a communotron extendable antenna but with a yellow tip or so. Not sure where I put it in the tech tree, probably at unmannedTech. It is not implemented fully, but works for roleplay.

I use DMagic Orbital Science myself, there are some great experiments and they can all be done by probes, though no soil sample experiment with them.

Had some unexpected free time on the weekend, so some updates. OpenCockpit is nice for early flight, and the Landertrons are back. As well as Kerbonov parts. SCANsat parts start earlier at survivability, to give your early probes around Kerbin something to do.

I also had to remove EVA fuel mod from the meta mod pack for the time being, as it was throwing exceptions left and right.

Will also offer a second challenge later on.

SETI Rebalance v1.3.0.1 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

Fixes

• Fixed later probe cores, typos meant that they had wrong EC capacity
  • Mk0 Liquid Fuel Tank more dry mass, less costs

Rebalances

• Some minor changes to the later probe cores besides the fixes

ModSupport

• Kerbonov
  • Landertron
  • OpenCockpit

Unmanned before Manned v1.3.0.1 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

TechTree changes

• NCS Adapter earlier @earlyAviation
  • HECS2 to advUnmannedTech

ModSupport

• Kerbonov
  • Landertron
  • OpenCockpit
  • SCANsat

Edited by Yemo

Some stuff I forgot in the last update

Unmanned before Manned v1.3.0.2 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

TechTree changes

• HG-5 High Gain Antenna and stock Fuel Cell earlier @engineering101
  • Surface Sampler (SETIrebalance) from unmannedTech to advConstruction
  • Radial Chutes earlier @survivability, no reason to put them later with Mk1 Retro Cockpit

ModSupport

• HullCameraVDS

And the second challenge:

Your challenge, should you accept it, is to reach an periabsis as low as possible above the mun, under the facility upgrade and technological limits described below.

No R&D, SPH/VAB, Runway/Launchpad facility upgrades! (=> 30part / 9ton mass limit, other facility upgrades are allowed). Tweakscale is only allowed for wings/control surfaces/landing gear/adapters.

To the Mun with only 17 science spent, 30 parts and well below 9 tons.

6b9PN8x.png

Science restrictions with the new "Unmanned Before Manned" + "Unmanned Before Manned Challenge" mod

fBDB0n3.png

Zsr2JSI.png Engineering101 node, use the "Alkaline Fuel Cell Mini" to provide EC when lower than 10% capacity

dEx0Z3u.png Structural Parts node

kbsDYBX.png Stability Node, the "Place-Anywhere 1 Linear RCS Port" can be used as an engine

Hey there

Fun fact. When using RealChute, you can complete the manned powered landing contract with a chute attached. Not sure it it required the engine to be attached also, but I had it there anyway. I know you're no longer maintaining the contract pack, but maybe add a target landing area, similar to the unmanned powered landing contract?

Saw this was reported back in 2015, so just posting now to let you know it still occurs. Hardly a big deal though as the manned powered landing contract is pretty basic anyway.

@Yemo, @Angel-125: Any interest in a small MM patch adding Snacks! support to the SETI greenhouse, that I put together for my own campaign?

The motivation is that KPBS already adds planetary greenhouses, but right now there is no Snacks!-compatible orbital greenhouse to include on the mothership for those long interplanetary flights (or on a space station).

I'm just getting into playing with a life support mod myself, and ended up choosing Snacks! for its simplicity and stockalike feel.

I was thinking that in Snacks!, the greenhouse could act as a soil recycler, like the stock hitchhiker can does. To compensate for greenhouse's mass and the zero crew capacity - indeed, its dedicated role - it would be a higher-output recycler. Out of the box, the hitchhiker can is calibrated to provide enough recycling capacity for 4 kerbals, so, for example, the small greenhouse could be similarly calibrated for 6 and the big one for 8.

The patch was rather trivial to make, based on the working config examples provided with Snacks!. Beside modifying the capacities, I only patched the descriptions to match the behaviour.

The difficult part, of course, is to get the gameplay balancing right. So far I've just tested that the patch poked the right things to indeed make the SETI greenhouse work as a recycler in Snacks!. I haven't yet thought about the numbers.

The calibration of the stock hitchhiker can is at 100% recycler efficiency, 1 snack per meal, 1 meal per day. In Snacks!, all these values are set by the player, in the game difficulty options. The recycler efficiency, in particular, can be anything from 10% to 100%. The KSPedia screenshots in the OP of the Snacks! Continued thread imply that the official recommendations are 1 snack per meal, 3 meals per day, 40% efficiency (correct me Angel if I'm wrong :)).

At these settings, one hitchhiker can is sufficient to recycle enough food for 40% * 4 * (1/3) = 0.53 kerbals. Given the dedicated role of the greenhouse, maybe the small one could recycle enough food for 2 (maybe 3?) kerbals and the big one for 4 (maybe 6), at the officially recommended settings? This would give theoretical capacities of 16 (24) and 32 (48), respectively - but on the other hand, these values are insane when run at or near 100% efficiency, and less than 3 meals per day.

Comments?

Hello @Yemo

I've noticed you have re-purposed parts overhaul for 1,875 m parts.

That's a really good idea, great job. You may want to update rescaled parts bulkhead profile for proper filtering in Filter Extensions. For 1,875 parts it's

bulkheadProfiles = size1p5

Edited by evileye.x

On 6.7.2017 at 5:35 AM, strudo76 said:

Hey there

Fun fact. When using RealChute, you can complete the manned powered landing contract with a chute attached. Not sure it it required the engine to be attached also, but I had it there anyway. I know you're no longer maintaining the contract pack, but maybe add a target landing area, similar to the unmanned powered landing contract?

Saw this was reported back in 2015, so just posting now to let you know it still occurs. Hardly a big deal though as the manned powered landing contract is pretty basic anyway.

Ah, yes, I should take another look at the contract restrictions. Not sure if the landing at coordinates is worth it, after doing the same thing unmanned. Thank you very much! I ll also have to check out the career evolution contract pack by @pap1723.

12 hours ago, Technologicat said:

@Yemo, @Angel-125: Any interest in a small MM patch adding Snacks! support to the SETI greenhouse, that I put together for my own campaign?

The motivation is that KPBS already adds planetary greenhouses, but right now there is no Snacks!-compatible orbital greenhouse to include on the mothership for those long interplanetary flights (or on a space station).

I'm just getting into playing with a life support mod myself, and ended up choosing Snacks! for its simplicity and stockalike feel.

I was thinking that in Snacks!, the greenhouse could act as a soil recycler, like the stock hitchhiker can does. To compensate for greenhouse's mass and the zero crew capacity - indeed, its dedicated role - it would be a higher-output recycler. Out of the box, the hitchhiker can is calibrated to provide enough recycling capacity for 4 kerbals, so, for example, the small greenhouse could be similarly calibrated for 6 and the big one for 8.

The patch was rather trivial to make, based on the working config examples provided with Snacks!. Beside modifying the capacities, I only patched the descriptions to match the behaviour.

The difficult part, of course, is to get the gameplay balancing right. So far I've just tested that the patch poked the right things to indeed make the SETI greenhouse work as a recycler in Snacks!. I haven't yet thought about the numbers.

The calibration of the stock hitchhiker can is at 100% recycler efficiency, 1 snack per meal, 1 meal per day. In Snacks!, all these values are set by the player, in the game difficulty options. The recycler efficiency, in particular, can be anything from 10% to 100%. The KSPedia screenshots in the OP of the Snacks! Continued thread imply that the official recommendations are 1 snack per meal, 3 meals per day, 40% efficiency (correct me Angel if I'm wrong :)).

At these settings, one hitchhiker can is sufficient to recycle enough food for 40% * 4 * (1/3) = 0.53 kerbals. Given the dedicated role of the greenhouse, maybe the small one could recycle enough food for 2 (maybe 3?) kerbals and the big one for 4 (maybe 6), at the officially recommended settings? This would give theoretical capacities of 16 (24) and 32 (48), respectively - but on the other hand, these values are insane when run at or near 100% efficiency, and less than 3 meals per day.

Comments?

Well, I would gladly include a config file for snacks, though all my ksp modding time goes into other areas at the moment. @JadeOfMaar also proposed a USI config for the next SETIgreenhouse version. As usual, happy to include configs, but I have little knowledge of snacks and current USI, since I use TAC myself.

4 hours ago, evileye.x said:

Hello @Yemo

I've noticed you have re-purposed parts overhaul for 1,875 m parts.

That's a really good idea, great job. You may want to update rescaled parts bulkhead profile for proper filtering in Filter Extensions. For 1,875 parts it's

bulkheadProfiles = size1p5

Will be corrected in the next version, thank you very much!

2 hours ago, strudo76 said:

There is also a 1.875m decoupler that didn't seem to work as a decoupler. I added the part but it didn't give me a staging point, and didn't have ejection force details.

Whoops, there is a comma where it does not belong. Thank you very much!

On a related note, I ll have to take a look at RealPlume configs for the engines as well...

SETI Rebalance v1.3.0.2 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

Rebalances

• Small Hardpoint and Structural Pylon behave as Separators, category adjusted to couplers
  • Decouplers and Separators rebalanced in terms of mass, cost

Early EVA possible with CustomBarnKit

SETI ProbeParts v1.3.0.1 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

Fixes

• Real Plume configs for Pomeranian and RT-3 SRB
  • Alkaline Fuel Cell Mini model fixed, especially for VenStockRevamp
  • Fixed radial attachment distance of RT-3 SRB
  • RT-3 SRB now uses VenStockRevamp textures if that is installed

6 hours ago, Yemo said:

Well, I would gladly include a config file for snacks, though all my ksp modding time goes into other areas at the moment. @JadeOfMaar also proposed a USI config for the next SETIgreenhouse version. As usual, happy to include configs, but I have little knowledge of snacks and current USI, since I use TAC myself.

@Yemo: That's fine, I can send you my config. More supported LS mods better than fewer, right? :)

Right now I have the following snippet saved as a custom patch SETISnacks.cfg (open spoiler to view). This is pretty much just the example config for Snacks!, with RecyclerCapacity bumped, part description patched, and both Soil and Snacks resources included in each of the two greenhouse parts.

Spoiler

@PART[SETIgreenhouse1]:NEEDS[SETIgreenhouse,Snacks]:AFTER[Snacks]
{
	%description = The 2.5m SETI Greenhouse, made by famous designer zzz, provides for the life support needs of up to 6 kerbals. To do so, it uses the waste products up to 6 kerbals as well as electric charge.

//This is calibrated for 6 kerbals at 100% efficiency when then consume
	//1 snack per meal and 1 meal per day.
	//In game, the player can adjust the efficiency of the recycler from 10% to 100%.
	//Given the dynamic nature, the input/output ratio is ALWAYS set to 0.00004630,
	//which gives a daily input/output of 1.00008 per day. The recycler will then adjust
	//the input/output ratio based upon RecyclerCapacity and recycler efficiency.
	MODULE
	{
		name = SoilRecycler
		ConverterName = Soil Recycler
		StartActionName = Start Soil Recycler
		StopActionName = Stop Soil Recycler
		AutoShutdown = false
		GeneratesHeat = false
		UseSpecialistBonus = true
		SpecialistEfficiencyFactor = 0.2
		UseSpecializationBonus = true
		SpecialistEfficiencyFactor = 0.1
		ExperienceEffect = ScienceSkill
		EfficiencyBonus = 1.0
		RecyclerCapacity = 6

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Soil
			Ratio = 0.000034723
			FlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  		}

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 12
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Snacks
			Ratio = 0.000034723
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
		}
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Soil
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 300
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Snacks
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 300
	}
}

@PART[SETIgreenhouse3]:NEEDS[SETIgreenhouse,Snacks]:AFTER[Snacks]
{
	%description = The large 3.75m SETI Greenhouse, made by famous designer zzz, provides for the life support needs of up to 8 kerbals. To do so, it uses the waste products up to 8 kerbals as well as electric charge.

//This is calibrated for 8 kerbals at 100% efficiency when then consume
	//In game, the player can adjust the efficiency of the recycler from 10% to 100%.
	//which gives a daily input/output of 1.00008 per day. The recycler will then adjust
	MODULE
	{
		name = SoilRecycler
		AutoShutdown = false
		GeneratesHeat = false
		EfficiencyBonus = 1.0
		RecyclerCapacity = 8

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Soil
			Ratio = 0.000034723
			FlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  		}

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 12
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Snacks
			Ratio = 0.000034723
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
		}
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Soil
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 400
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Snacks
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 400
	}
}

It still needs proper gameplay balancing - which I can look into, but no promises about schedule. I'm looking to play some KSP this summer, but no idea how much time I'll actually have :)

I'd also like @Angel-125's opinion about this, as he's the maintainer of Snacks! Continued.

It should be simple to place this stuff in Greenhouse1.cfg and Greenhouse3.cfg, similarly to how the parts already include support for TAC. If needed, I could do this and post the result on Dropbox or GitHub for you (Yemo) to pick up. GitHub could be useful as it makes it easy to view diffs between versions.

There's also a minor issue that I could try to fix while at it - currently, installing SETIgreenhouse introduces the Nutrients resource even if TAC-LS is not installed, cluttering up e.g. the KSP Alternate Resource Panel config screen. If MM allows tagging resource definitions with :NEEDS, this is easily solved.

1 hour ago, Technologicat said:

@Yemo: That's fine, I can send you my config. More supported LS mods better than fewer, right? :)

Right now I have the following snippet saved as a custom patch SETISnacks.cfg (open spoiler to view). This is pretty much just the example config for Snacks!, with RecyclerCapacity bumped, part description patched, and both Soil and Snacks resources included in each of the two greenhouse parts.

Hide contents

@PART[SETIgreenhouse1]:NEEDS[SETIgreenhouse,Snacks]:AFTER[Snacks]
{
	%description = The 2.5m SETI Greenhouse, made by famous designer zzz, provides for the life support needs of up to 6 kerbals. To do so, it uses the waste products up to 6 kerbals as well as electric charge.

//This is calibrated for 6 kerbals at 100% efficiency when then consume
	MODULE
	{
		name = SoilRecycler
		AutoShutdown = false
		GeneratesHeat = false
		EfficiencyBonus = 1.0
		RecyclerCapacity = 6

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Soil
			Ratio = 0.000034723
			FlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  		}

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 12
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Snacks
			Ratio = 0.000034723
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
		}
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Soil
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 300
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Snacks
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 300
	}
}

@PART[SETIgreenhouse3]:NEEDS[SETIgreenhouse,Snacks]:AFTER[Snacks]
{
	%description = The large 3.75m SETI Greenhouse, made by famous designer zzz, provides for the life support needs of up to 8 kerbals. To do so, it uses the waste products up to 8 kerbals as well as electric charge.

//This is calibrated for 8 kerbals at 100% efficiency when then consume
	MODULE
	{
		name = SoilRecycler
		AutoShutdown = false
		GeneratesHeat = false
		EfficiencyBonus = 1.0
		RecyclerCapacity = 8

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Soil
			Ratio = 0.000034723
			FlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  		}

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			Ratio = 12
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Snacks
			Ratio = 0.000034723
			DumpExcess = false
			FlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
		}
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Soil
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 400
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Snacks
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 400
	}
}

It still needs proper gameplay balancing - which I can look into, but no promises about schedule. I'm looking to play some KSP this summer, but no idea how much time I'll actually have :)

I'd also like @Angel-125's opinion about this, as he's the maintainer of Snacks! Continued.

It should be simple to place this stuff in Greenhouse1.cfg and Greenhouse3.cfg, similarly to how the parts already include support for TAC. If needed, I could do this and post the result on Dropbox or GitHub for you (Yemo) to pick up. GitHub could be useful as it makes it easy to view diffs between versions.

There's also a minor issue that I could try to fix while at it - currently, installing SETIgreenhouse introduces the Nutrients resource even if TAC-LS is not installed, cluttering up e.g. the KSP Alternate Resource Panel config screen. If MM allows tagging resource definitions with :NEEDS, this is easily solved.

My suggestion is to include that with SETI. You basically set up the processors for one kerbal and one meal per day and go from there. The Hitchhiker is a good example of how to set things up.

19 hours ago, DStaal said:

BTW: The 'Clamp-O-Tron Shielded Docking Port Jr.' doesn't have the right sized docking node in the .cfg - By the config, it docks to the normal clamp-o-tron, not the jr.

Fixed, thank you very much!

@Technologicat

I think I will just upload the SETI greenhouse files to github, since I very rarely touch them myself. That should make it easier to contribute and change stuff around. Will try to do that over the weekend.

There have been more mods added to the SETI-MetaModPack as well, ckan should pick that up in the next few hours.

The next challenge will also be published tomorrow.

SETI ProbeParts v1.3.0.2 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

Fixes

• Fixed the Shielded Docking Port Jr., thank you very much @DStaal

Porkjets PartOverhauls SETIconfig v0.9.2.0 (for KSP 1.3.x, use CKAN for a clean install)

Fixes

• Bulkhead Profiles fixed, thank you very much @evileye.x
  • Decoupler fixed, thank you very much @strudo76

Edited by Yemo

13 hours ago, Yemo said:

I think I will just upload the SETI greenhouse files to github, since I very rarely touch them myself. That should make it easier to contribute and change stuff around. Will try to do that over the weekend.

Ok, sounds good! That will make it easy to create a PR.

BTW, I checked the MM docs:

https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Module-Manager-Syntax

and it said that :NEEDS is supported anywhere. I'll take a look as soon as I can.

EDIT: works as expected. The only change required is to change the header line of the resource definition in Greenhouse1.cfg such that it reads

RESOURCE_DEFINITION:NEEDS[ThunderAerospace]

and the definition will run only if TAC is installed. I'll include this change in my eventual PR.

Existing installs, with KSP Alternate Resource Panel and without TAC, can then be cleaned up by manually editing TriggerTech/KSPAlternateResourcePanel/PluginData/settings.cfg and deleting the Item section that has name = Nutrients.

To be sure, I went to the GameData folder and did

shopt -s globstar
grep -niRHI nutrients **/*.cfg

in GameData, and beside the SETI greenhouse configs, this was the only match. Checked also all files (**/*) in saves, no matches.

13 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

My suggestion is to include that with SETI. You basically set up the processors for one kerbal and one meal per day and go from there. The Hitchhiker is a good example of how to set things up.

Ok, we'll do that. Thanks for the input!

Edited by Technologicat
tested resource definition with :NEEDS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.